Nexus 5 version of Nexus 6?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know, suspect, think, etc., that Google might also be planning a Nexus 5 2014 version like they did with the Nexus 7?

If I had to guess, I would say that Google will rely on software updates to improve the current Nexus 5. There will be no changes in the hardware.

However, it would be interesting to speculate on what would change Google's mind into considering a revamped Nexus 5.

Maybe a group of Nexus enthusiasts should fund a Kickstarter program for a limited edition Nexus 5 with better specs? That might get the ball rolling.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Which features? The 6 is going to have ambient screen, where the screen lights up for notifications. It's going to light up when you pick it up. And it has always listening ok Google.

The N6 does not have the nice Moto-X feature where you can wave you hand over the top of the phone and the screen lights up to see notifications

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
If I had to guess, I would say that Google will rely on software updates to improve the current Nexus 5. There will be no changes in the hardware.

However, it would be interesting to speculate on what would change Google's mind into considering a revamped Nexus 5.

Maybe a group of Nexus enthusiasts should fund a Kickstarter program for a limited edition Nexus 5 with better specs? That might get the ball rolling.

I doubt it. I don't think there are enough people interested to do that, besides it's not like one of the world's largest IT companies would ever be moved to listen to a small group of people.

Posted via the Android Central App

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 4 and 5 were loosely based off the comparable LG model of that year and were priced considerably less than the LG models while missing an option or two.... So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility... although I do agree with you.... I think if the Nexus 6 is too big for you the 2014 Moto X is a great alternate for a pure android experience in a smaller form factor.....

Yep, currently I'm torn between the Nexus 6 and the new Moto X to replace my 2013 moto x. It will all come down to whether or not I can palm the Nexus 6.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

That's a great idea. It would be all Nexus fans so you'd get about 50,000 donators and the total raised would be about $25.

I like it

Posted from the Avengers: Age of Droid Ultra

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
You want the Droid Turbo. Same spec'd phone at 5.2". Unless you aren't on Verizon and in the US, then you're looking for the Moto X. They won't be updated as quick as a Nexus, but Motorola has proven they are quick to update their newer Droids and Moto X faster than anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing is the Droid Turbo is Fugly! Droid styling, capacitive buttons from 2010 that can't be updated like software keys for lollipop. Great specs but I couldn't do it even if I were on Verizon.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
That's a great idea. It would be all Nexus fans so you'd get about 50,000 donators and the total raised would be about $25.

I like it

Posted from the Avengers: Age of Droid Ultra

It would be more than that I think, but it's not going to go anywhere.

Posted via the Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It would be more than that I think, but it's not going to go anywhere.

Part of the problem is that there's probably a perception that there's little demand for an updated Nexus 5. Google probably assumes customers will either stick to the current Nexus 5, choose a non-Nexus phone, or go to the Nexus 6.

Whether there is an actual demand for an updated Nexus 5 remains to be seen. Even if LG recognizes that such a demand exists, it's another thing for them to take the time and effort to put out an updated Nexus 5, if that's even possible. (Maybe they have a contract with Google that prevents them from changing the Nexus 5 without Google's permission.)

leafs123

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Even if LG were to make an updated version of the Nexus 5, they would still need to do engineering, etc which is basically like making a new phone. Pretty sure it won't happen.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Even if LG were to make an updated version of the Nexus 5, they would still need to do engineering, etc which is basically like making a new phone. Pretty sure it won't happen.

We also have to consider that LG is probably working on the successor to the LG G3. That has the potential to bring more business than an updated Nexus 5.

Perhaps we should look to other manufacturers to make a splash in the market. How about Asus? It's not making a Nexus tablet this year, so maybe it's available to make a phone. Asus has made phones in the past, mostly outside of the US.

flattie

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
God knows to be honest. At least it keeps things interesting though.

Going in to 2015, it seems we have a new Nexus device, despite the rumoured demise of the brand earlier this year. That device, to my eyes at least, looks to be for all intents and purposes an Android Silver device (as rumoured) with a Nexus stamp on its arse. Interestingly though, the N9 retains the now typical Nexus design that we've come to expect from the range. Conflicting messages after seemingly settling on a reasonably consistent brand style with the N7(2013), N5 and N9. It looks to me like plans were changed pretty late in the day somewhere along the line.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers