Google Nexus 6 Sound quality from front-facing stereo speakers

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone read about or heard the quality of the front-facing stereo speakers? I have the 2014 Moto X and the sound quality is pretty poor at high levels when listening to music. I'm wondering if the N6 stereo speakers will just double the poor sounds coming out of the 2014 Moto X at high levels or has Motorola improved their speaker quality since the 2014 Moto X.

On a related note, I read on a preview article for the N6 that the stereo speakers were HTC Boomsound speakers. Unfortunately, I can't find that article again, but I'm assuming the previewer misreported that spec from the Nexus 9 tablet which is being made by HTC. Can anybody confirm or deny the addition of Boomsound on the N6? (I think it wouldn't make sense for Boomsound speakers to be on a Motorola device, but here's hoping.)

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Sound quality from front-facing stereo speakers

its likely not boomsound, but no one has had a chance to really test the device, so we wont know until they put out reviews.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I'd also be concerned about the DAC used. I'm pretty sure the speakers aren't Boomsound, otherwise they'd have mentioned it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

It won't be Boomsound, as that's HTC's trademarked system for DAC, hardware, and DSP software. Your assumption about the quote you saw is certainly correct. That said, we can definitely hope for at least 'good' sound quality from the N6.

The second speaker on the N6 affords stereo sound, which will help considerably vs. the Moto X '14, and two speakers means the amplifier will not have to be driven as hard to produce the same level of volume - which should result in better sound quality as well.

A few hands-on reviews have been put out there, but none I have seen as of yet have made mention of the audio quality, but we should 'hear' something soon enough....

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Just my personal opinion. I think it will sound better than just a mono speaker. But will never be what people think it should sound like. It will not sound like you are listening to a bose wave or and audiophile headset. It is still tiny speakers in a phone. My expectations are for it to sound okay. But I doubt I will be using it for a jukebox much if at all.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Just my personal opinion. I think it will sound better than just a mono speaker. But will never be what people think it should sound like. It will not sound like you are listening to a bose wave or and audiophile headset. It is still tiny speakers in a phone. My expectations are for it to sound okay. But I doubt I will be using it for a jukebox much if at all.

No doubt about that - but if they do at least put in a quality DAC, headphone output could still be exceptional even if the speakers themselves are lacking.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

No doubt about that - but if they do at least put in a quality DAC, headphone output could still be exceptional even if the speakers themselves are lacking.

Quite true. I hope they did since it seems they have spared no expense for this build of a phone. And since I am getting the 64GB version, I wonder if it will play flac audio files. I like to hear my music in its full, true, original glory. I could put a few on it and listen to it via my BT through my car stereo speakers or through my headphones.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Quite true. I hope they did since it seems they have spared no expense for this build of a phone. And since I am getting the 64GB version, I wonder if it will play flac audio files. I like to hear my music in its full, true, original glory. I could put a few on it and listen to it via my BT through my car stereo speakers or through my headphones.

Coupled with an aptX Bluetooth codec would be really nice :D

brybelle22

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

It won't be Boomsound, as that's HTC's trademarked system for DAC, hardware, and DSP software. Your assumption about the quote you saw is certainly correct. That said, we can definitely hope for at least 'good' sound quality from the N6.

The second speaker on the N6 affords stereo sound, which will help considerably vs. the Moto X '14, and two speakers means the amplifier will not have to be driven as hard to produce the same level of volume - which should result in better sound quality as well.

A few hands-on reviews have been put out there, but none I have seen as of yet have made mention of the audio quality, but we should 'hear' something soon enough....

I hope you're right about splitting the amp duty. I use a Bluetooth speaker when I wasn't to listen to music, but on the occasions that I don't have my speaker it'd be nice to crank up the volume without having distorted sound. Hopefully a reviewer will give some insight on this before I make my final decision on which phone to get.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Im in the same boat.
Im going to hold off on order / pre order until i know what kind of quality to expect off the speakers. The HTC One M8 has spoiled me into expecting this audio with my next device. I cant even use my Note 3 anymore because i dont like the audio.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone read about or heard the quality of the front-facing stereo speakers? I have the 2014 Moto X and the sound quality is pretty poor at high levels when listening to music. I'm wondering if the N6 stereo speakers will just double the poor sounds coming out of the 2014 Moto X at high levels or has Motorola improved their speaker quality since the 2014 Moto X.

On a related note, I read on a preview article for the N6 that the stereo speakers were HTC Boomsound speakers. Unfortunately, I can't find that article again, but I'm assuming the previewer misreported that spec from the Nexus 9 tablet which is being made by HTC. Can anybody confirm or deny the addition of Boomsound on the N6? (I think it wouldn't make sense for Boomsound speakers to be on a Motorola device, but here's hoping.)

This is just a guess on my part but try going to a store and listen to the speakers on the 2014 Moto G. It has duel stereo speakers made by Motorola too so they may be similar.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Motorola needs to be hyping up or advertising better units with front facing speakers. The nexus 6 has them and now the 2014 Moto G has them?

Maybe im putting to much emphasis on how much my M7 and M8 changed the game on the way i listen to music and other stuff. Having great audio is a higher priority for me now.

cellomj

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Does the moto g have duel speakers? Or is it like the x where only one is a speaker?

Yes, the 2014 Moto G has front facing stereo speakers. I briefly had a 2014 moto g and they were pretty good but my unit was distorting once the volume hit 75%. Definitely an upgrade from the speakers on the nexus 4 & 5 though.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I sure hope they sound better than the Moto G speakers! I also have been ruined by the Boomsound speakers on my HTC One M8.

maddy1213

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have had moto x 2014 for a while and one big positive about that phone apart from looks is the speakers. I am sure nexus 6 will live up to that. I have compared the speakers with Iphones atleast there it passes the test.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

get one of these -

UE MINI BOOM Portable Bluetooth Speaker | Ultimate Ears Bluetooth Speakers | Ultimate Ears

awareunlikeu

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I really hope the N6 has excellent Audio Quality/ DAC. Ordering one tomoroow and hoping for the best! Will return if it does not have great DAC and battery life. I would go with the Droid Turbo, but I'm pretty confident that its audio quality will be very sub par. Could be wrong I guess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith