Nexus 6 - Back button question

johnnnnnymtl

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously considering going with the Nexus 6, but I have a question concerning the back button which I see is on the left side of the phone. Ill be switching from a Samsung S3 which has the back button on the right side. I know its a small detail but im curious to know if there is any way to switch the back button to the right side.

Thank you!

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not officially via the stock software aka no out of the box feature that allows that customization. However there will be ways via rooting and loading custom ROMs I believe.

Posted via the Android Central App

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
You won't have a problem getting used to the new place of the back button. Things could get a bit annoying if you have a Samsung tablet, in which case you'd be using simultaneously two devices with different layouts. But even then, I don't find it to be too much of a problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

mdcraig

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
If you root, you can, but not right out of the box.

As for functionality, you will get used to it. tbh, I think samsung is the only one who puts the back button on the right. I don't know about you, but for me, I hold the phone in my left hand, typically, and I find it much more convenient to have the back button on the left since I use it more often than the multitask button. But I would think it would be the opposite if I typically held it in in my right hand.

rowdyspartan

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I had an S3 before I moved to an N5. A lot more was different than the placement of the back button, but I assure you, it all made much more sense after a week. You get used to it fast and becomes your new norm. My wife still has an S3 and I stumble around the navigation on it now; feels off.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You will just have to get used to it, and not having a dedicated menu button. At first you won't like it, but it will make sense. That is the way it is originally intended for Android, Samsung is the one messing with it.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I switch back and forth between my nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy tab 3 and don't have any difficulty at all.