Google Nexus 6 What exactly is a "pure Android experience"

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I currently own a Galaxy S4, and am very happy with it. It's still in great shape, but I have been overdue for an upgrade and I'm really considering a Nexus 6.

Much of what I read includes the "pure Android experience" as a main reason of desire for people wanting the N6. But just what exactly does that mean?

maxt_63

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: What exactly is a "pure Android experience"

Most phone companies running android put their own skins/modifications to android. Samsung is infamous for this, and they call it Touchwiz. Due to the heavy modifications, updates take longer because Samsung needs to modify the code to fit Touchwiz (same goes for any phone with UI skins). Additionally, added skins slow down the performance, but not severely. With a phone like the Nexus, Moto x, and the droid (not pure android but the mods are very minimalistic) the Android is just that, android with not addition it it. In turn the updates arrive faster (same day for Nexus phones) and the phone itself runs smoother. Also, developing roots is easier on pure android. There is definitely more to it but that's about all I can think of right at the moment. I'm sure someone will chime in with more info.

I'm definitely getting the nexus for the stock android. Or maybe the Moto X, we'll see when the time comes.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I currently own a Galaxy S4, and am very happy with it. It's still in great shape, but I have been overdue for an upgrade and I'm really considering a Nexus 6.

Much of what I read includes the "pure Android experience" as a main reason of desire for people wanting the N6. But just what exactly does that mean?

Pure android is pretty much the bare bones of android. The manufacturers then take that and build upon it (their skins) which is what slows android down and also slows updates.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

I'll be that person that points out that there is a difference between the "pure Android experience" and the "pure Google experience". The Nexus devices offer the pure Google experience out of the box, as Google Apps come pre-installed. Those aren't part of AOSP; if you find an AOSP ROM, you have to add the Google Apps as a separate package. The pure Android experience wouldn't have Hangouts, Google Wallet, GMail and the like pre-installed on the device.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I'll be that person that points out that there is a difference between the "pure Android experience" and the "pure Google experience". The Nexus devices offer the pure Google experience out of the box, as Google Apps come pre-installed. Those aren't part of AOSP; if you find an AOSP ROM, you have to add the Google Apps as a separate package. The pure Android experience wouldn't have Hangouts, Google Wallet, GMail and the like pre-installed on the device.

True... but if you want to be guaranteed to continue to enjoy quick updates (or updates at all, for that matter, particularly more than just 1), the Nexus or GPE editions are the best way to go. Otherwise you're buying an 'experience' that will stagnate while owners of Nexus and GPE devices evolve in function with OS updates...

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
AOSP is for developers and manufacturers, not the general public. For the general public, GPE phones and Nexus phones are as pure as you're going to get. When those of us that know better refer to pure, or stock, Android we are referring to a device that runs Android without skins.

Nexus devices and GPE phones may have Google apps, but that is the only difference between them and AOSP. Touchwiz and other manufacturer skins are far, far more than just a few preinstalled apps.

Posted via the Android Central App

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

AOSP is for developers and manufacturers, not the general public. For the general public, GPE phones and Nexus phones are as pure as you're going to get. When those of us that know better refer to pure, or stock, Android we are referring to a device that runs Android without skins.

Nexus devices and GPE phones may have Google apps, but that is the only difference between them and AOSP. Touchwiz and other manufacturer skins are far, far more than just a few preinstalled apps.

I know, I was just pointing out the difference to the OP. Some people on other forums make a big deal out of the difference between the two. Even I don't like to see terms used interchangeably when they actually refer to two different things, but I usually don't call people out on this one (which is why I put "that person" in italics). :)

BobDaNob

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site

Let's not forget that part of the 'pure experience' is also the foundation to do exactly what you want with the phone. Since they're also easily unlocked and rooted, customizing exactly the way you want is another huge plus.

Trying to accomplish the same thing with other phones is often as enjoyable as punching yourself in the face with a wall.

It should also be said - there's a small bit of weening you have to go through the first time you leave the familiar world of Touchwiz behind for what looks like a barren, empty version of Android. You don't really appreciate it, I think, until later on when you pick up your friend's Samsung and it just feels horrible and clunky.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

I know, I was just pointing out the difference to the OP. Some people on other forums make a big deal out of the difference between the two. Even I don't like to see terms used interchangeably when they actually refer to two different things, but I usually don't call people out on this one (which is why I put "that person" in italics). :)

Fair enough, but this seems to be a thing with certain people now and those people are acting like a Nexus phone is no different than a skinned Samsung phone because it has Google apps preinstalled. While it may not be AOSP, it is still a far cry from the skinning done by Samsung, LG, and the likes.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

Fair enough, but this seems to be a thing with certain people now and those people are acting like a Nexus phone is no different than a skinned Samsung phone because it has Google apps preinstalled. While it may not be AOSP, it is still a far cry from the skinning done by Samsung, LG, and the likes.

I do see the difference in having GAPPS pre-installed and Touchwiz and agree that it is a big difference. When I did root and chose an AOSP ROM, I downloaded GAPPS before I did the first boot. I'm not one that wants the bare bones Android experience; I use Google's services too much for that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Pure Android is AOSP.

Nexus (and GPe) show off "pure Google". There is a difference. They are not the same. It's not semantics.

One could argue that Samsung shows off their take on Google's vision of Android (which is not Pure Android) while Amazon shows off their take on Android.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I just want a pure Nexus experience on my phone. That to me means, no carriers apps, branding, or physical contact with the phone. Updates that come from one source and one source only - Google. And is sim unlocked so I can switch to a different carrier if I want to.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

My main reason for being on Android is the Google ecosystem. I never thought it would matter much, but I just bought a Nexus 5 out of curiosity, figuring I had two weeks to play with it and return it to Google.

No way am I returning this phone - as compared to my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3, it is much smoother & faster. And even though Nexus 5 is not known for great battery life, it is better than the S3, probably because it doesn't have all of those AT&T and Samsung apps taking up space and running in the background.

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

Well see, for me, I've never used TouchWiz. Since the moment I got this phone I started using Nova for the homelauncher. But I understand TW is still on this phone, along with the bloat (that I choose to just hide) slowing it down somewhat. But I have noticed the updates on Samsung take forever. But if I used Nova on the Nexus wouldn't that partially take away from the "pureness"?

I also have never rooted, despite much contemplation. Is there really THAT much to gain from root?

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

It should also be said - there's a small bit of weening you have to go through the first time you leave the familiar world of Touchwiz behind for what looks like a barren, empty version of Android. You don't really appreciate it, I think, until later on when you pick up your friend's Samsung and it just feels horrible and clunky.

. . . . . I agree with this! I first tried Cyanogen on my O.G Evo, I thought it was bland and colorless. When i went back to "sense" the rom didn't feel as fast. I couldn't pinpoint why, but it just didn't. Now I've been using some form of "AOSP since then (currently using Mahdi on Lg G2). I've also learned that a" Pure Google Experience " doesn't give you all the customization of other aosp roms either.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

A device running only Google software; excluding apps. Kind of like how iOS devices only run Apple software.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Well see, for me, I've never used TouchWiz. Since the moment I got this phone I started using Nova for the homelauncher. But I understand TW is still on this phone, along with the bloat (that I choose to just hide) slowing it down somewhat. But I have noticed the updates on Samsung take forever. But if I used Nova on the Nexus wouldn't that partially take away from the "pureness"?

I also have never rooted, despite much contemplation. Is there really THAT much to gain from root?

"Pureness"? It's a phone, not a religion. I don't care if TouchWiz isn't "pure" - I care that it makes the phone laggy and shortens the battery life. I like Nova - it does some things Google Now launcher can't do, like continuously scrolling home screens, and it does that with no discernible effect on performance.

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

A device running only Google software; excluding apps. Kind of like how iOS devices only run Apple software.

Well to be honest, I gathered this much just from reading. But it seemed there had to be more to it that just that.

I wish we could get a definitive answer regarding the carrier version update timing. It seems like most of the posts are speculations and assumptions, albeit some are with good reason, but nonetheless it's just educated guessing. My approach is wait and see at this point, but unfortunately, even once it releases will we truly know how long updates will take until there is actually one?