Looking at 6 but have some general nexus questions

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, I've rocked the S3 since they came out. I'm getting to the point to where I'm not interested in staying in a upgrade cycle for new hardware and playing the wait game for software updates to be released due to the OEM then waiting for the carriers. So my next phone is going to be one that cuts out all the middle men. So I have accepted that I will have to purchase a phone out right to get what I want.

My hope was that Samsung would do a Google edition s5 or wait for the s6 and hope for a Google edition. So I started to look at the moto X (2014) pure edition and thought my search was over. Many people seemed to dis the battery but comparing SOT to my GS3 it should last longer.
Then the Nexus 6 is announced, Spec wise it looks like the 6 would be around for while but the screen size seems to large for my liking but until I hold one in my hand, its not a deal breaker. So, with the thought of owning a phone for longer than 2 years, I have questions in regards to how google adds or handles carrier features.

• I have AT&T, I buy a Nexus 6 though the play store and in 6 months AT&T rolls out Wifi calling, VoLTE, HD voice etc... is this something google will then add in a firmware update or is this the only benefit of getting a carrier branded phone?
  • in the past, getting a carrier branded nexus, is the a long wait for firmware to roll out?
  • how much bloatware is there?
  • what about features already present in the carriers ie...T-mobile with WIF calling, HD voice. Is this already enabled at shipment if bought from play store?
  • are things like tethering not blocked on a nexus since its doesn't have the carrier software to block it?

Thanks in advance,

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I read WiFi calling is built into Android 5.0 Lollipop.... T-Mobile said the Nexus 6 would support WiFi calling in January 2015 because it was already built into the latest version of android and from reading what T-Mobile put out they will just enable it the first of next year....

I've used my Nexus 5 on Sprint at first and T-Mobile the last six months... I've gotten firmware and software updates quickly on both carriers.. I'd guess the Nexus 6 would be similar...

Outside that just like the Nexus 5 there are only two versions of the Nexus 6... a Domestic US version and an international version.... Doesn't mean the carriers couldn't tweak the versions sold specifically from them.....

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
  • I have AT&T, I buy a Nexus 6 though the play store and in 6 months AT&T rolls out Wifi calling, VoLTE, HD voice etc... is this something google will then add in a firmware update or is this the only benefit of getting a carrier branded phone?
    Unless AT&T chooses specifically not to conform to the standard supported by Android, you should be good to go if/when they launch it
  • in the past, getting a carrier branded nexus, is the a long wait for firmware to roll out?
    There haven't been carrier-branded Nexus in several generations. It's still unconfirmed as to whether any carriers will be modifying firmware / adding bloat. If any do, it is possible that those devices may require the carrier to modify Google's release to conform to their edition
  • how much bloatware is there?
    None unless AT&T adds it (which would require Google's consent). If there is some, then as much as AT&T wants to load on it.
  • what about features already present in the carriers ie...T-mobile with WIF calling, HD voice. Is this already enabled at shipment if bought from play store?
    Nexus 6 will require an OTA update (last I heard scheduled for Q1 '15) to enable seamless VoLTE calling. So there may be some features some carriers support on other devices that are not immediately available on the Nexus 6 from the Play store, though if bloat is added (at the expense of the loss of so much of what makes a Nexus a Nexus), it's possible some might be enabled on specific carrier editions​
  • are things like tethering not blocked on a nexus since its doesn't have the carrier software to block it?
    Not blocked, though carriers have been clever about monitoring data usage and identifying characteristics that would indicate data traffic through other devices (like a laptop/PC)​

As to size, check out an iPhone 6 Plus. They're pretty close in all dimensions. If that's too large, the Nexus 5 is still an exceptional phone for the price (and only going to get better (especially in terms of camera and battery life) with Lollipop; alternatively, the HTC One (M8) GPE has received rave reviews as well (though falls shy of the Nexus 6 in nearly every performance spec while still selling for more money than its same-memory counterpart).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888