Google Nexus 6 Google Messenger

Dylan Gorski

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know if the new texting app for the Nexus 6 will have the same features as Apple messenger? It would be great to get read notifications and be able to send and receive texts over WiFi!

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Google Messenger

You already can. It's called Hangouts.

The problem is you need to have a Google Voice number associated with that first. I don't see, unfortunately, a way to get your carrier number's SMS integrated like that anytime soon :( I've been wanting that feature for aaaages, but so far no luck.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

You already can. It's called Hangouts.

The problem is you need to have a Google Voice number associated with that first. I don't see, unfortunately, a way to get your carrier number's SMS integrated like that anytime soon :( I've been wanting that feature for aaaages, but so far no luck.

I've given thought to seeing if I can take my Verizon sim (on the grandfathered unlimited 4g data hotspot plan), trim it down to 'nano' size, and throw it in a Nexus 6 to see if Hangouts will 'play nice' with it for voice/sms (and if it lets me use other data services on the phone/use it as a hotspot). If so, I may just cancel my T-Mobile service, porting that number (my main number) over to Google Voice.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like a plan :) I don't see why that wouldn't work as long as the Nexus is unlocked and it supports Verizon's frequencies. But yeah, the ONLY way to get your texts to show up on web and be able to use WiFi for them (at least for now and as far as I can 'see' into the rumored future) is to use your Google Voice number for texting.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Hangouts does a nice job with SMS now. You can specify which number you show, either your Google voice number, your mobile carrier number, or it can respond with whatever number you received the text on. It tells you in the box you type the SMS in which number you're responding from.

Also, the new Hangouts dialer will make calls from your Google voice number on WiFi or cellular data connections.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Hangouts for SMS for a long time and it shows up as my carrier number. I've never even used my Google Voice number in the 5 years I've had it so I don't think it is required for Hangouts SMS. I'm not given an option of what number to send as, either.

On the other hand, there could be things going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of and I could be totally wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Hangouts for SMS for a long time and it shows up as my carrier number. I've never even used my Google Voice number in the 5 years I've had it so I don't think it is required for Hangouts SMS. I'm not given an option of what number to send as, either.

On the other hand, there could be things going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of and I could be totally wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App
If you go into settings and SMS you can select from the three options I mentioned that change the number that shows up to the recipient.

rap4usa

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
every since they updated bits and pieces of the hang out app, i'm loving it! hopefully my friends will port over to android for good... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith