Wireless Charging + Case

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I am still hopeful that my next phone will be the Nexus 6. In the meantime, I've been wondering about using wireless charging. Reducing wear and tear on the USB port seems like a good reason to charge wirelessly, so I'm starting to think about those accessories.

I have heard reports of overheating with the wireless chargers, so I'm interested in which chargers others have been using and how they have been working. Also, what type/brand of case, if any, can be left on the phone while charging? How much does the case interfere with charging if it's left on?

So ... any recommendations for cases and wireless chargers?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at the Nexus charger in the Play Store and it says that it works with the Nexus 4, 5, and 7. Hopefully, they just haven't updated it yet for the Nexus 6. Don't know why it would work for those three and not the N6.

Do you have a case on your N5, and do you have to remove it to charge it?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am still hopeful that my next phone will be the Nexus 6. In the meantime, I've been wondering about using wireless charging. Reducing wear and tear on the USB port seems like a good reason to charge wirelessly, so I'm starting to think about those accessories.

I have heard reports of overheating with the wireless chargers, so I'm interested in which chargers others have been using and how they have been working. Also, what type/brand of case, if any, can be left on the phone while charging? How much does the case interfere with charging if it's left on?

So ... any recommendations for cases and wireless chargers?

I have 3 of these! No heating issues at all.. I've been using them for my nexus 5 & 7... both have seen an actual plugged up charge maybe a dozen times in a year... but they are pricy... I bought one at full price the other two at Christmas when they ran a black Friday sale!
TYLT • VU • Wireless Charger

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I have 3 of these! No heating issues at all.. I've been using them for my nexus 5 & 7... both have seen an actual plugged up charge maybe a dozen times in a year... but they are pricy... I bought one at full price the other two at Christmas when they ran a black Friday sale!
TYLT • VU • Wireless Charger

I like the looks of that one. Maybe the design also allows more air circulation to decrease likelihood of overheating? Kind of spendy, but so is the Nexus charger---it may be worth it to be sure to get a quality charger. Any experience using this with a case on the phone or tablet?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the looks of that one. Maybe the design also allows more air circulation to decrease likelihood of overheating? Kind of spendy, but so is the Nexus charger---it may be worth it to be sure to get a quality charger. Any experience using this with a case on the phone or tablet?

Never had a case on my nexus 7 of course it charged great! I've had a Spigen hybrid case on my nexus 5 with no issue charging while leaving it on..

Yes pricy! I think last year they ran a 40% off black Friday online sale.... I just remember I bought two more during that sale...

One for work and two at home...

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'll hope for a similar sale this year. I did look around online to see if I could find any lower pricing, and I couldn't. But I did find one at Staples for $99.99!!! Makes the full retail price look good by comparison.

AntLyoN2053

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for the Tylt Vu. I have used it with the nexus 5, 7, different case materials with no problems. Once in a while you can get a good deal on them, under/around $40.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Poetic Slimline case on my Nexus 7 ('13), and a Spigen Ultrafit on my Nexus 5, and both charge with no issue on my LuguLake Qi charger/6000mAH battery pack. The phone does seem to get a little warmer charging on that than via USB, but not much, and certainly never hot.

Leon Stevens

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Qi charging with case on WILL heat your battery more, lessening it's life to some degree no matter what (due to the physics of increased resistance). Therefor, I'm looking for a nice N6 case that easily comes off/goes back on. Any recommendations?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Qi charging with case on WILL heat your battery more, lessening it's life to some degree no matter what (due to the physics of increased resistance). Therefor, I'm looking for a nice N6 case that easily comes off/goes back on. Any recommendations?

Too early to say with any authority, though I've found Spigen cases to always be easy to pop on or off - as are most cases. One option you might consider is the bumper case someone linked in this thread, which purports to deliver pretty incredible protection - and with nothing between the back of the phone and the Qi charger but a couple of millimeters of air should alleviate the concern of additional resistance (unless that actual gap would impact it as well).