can the slow write speeds be fixed?

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
title says it. I was convinced to buy it, but after that review, no way.

I am curious, is it because of the early build?

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: an the slow write speeds be fixed?

I'm very picky when it comes to phones and I've canceled my preorder but this slow write speed thing is overblown. It won't be noticeable to 99.9999% of the population. to the other .0001%, they notice only because they are looking for it.

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I don't think anyone knows yet. If it's a hardware issue then no. It's its due to encryption like some think it is, there's a chance. If it requires a flash or new Kernel that thing will have a painful death in carrier stores when people look at it side by side with the 6+ or Note 4 and see how long things take to load.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

How about you wait and get the phone in your hand and make your own observations if it's "SLOW". Most of the reviews i've read didn't say anything about the phone being slow. Also, A lot of the reviews were not running the finished update.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

The ArsTechnica review claims that read speeds are well below other devices and has a video of a KitKat Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 side by side. The Nexus 5 loads everything faster.

When they subjected the storage IO to synthetic tests, the sequential read/write were low. Random read/write is quite high so it's possible there was a tradeoff in the design for some reason.

Generally FDE (full disk encryption) shouldn't impact more than 1-2%.

I have a Nexus 6 on order and I have to admit I'm a little skittish right now due to the many issues being raised.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

The ArsTechnica review claims that read speeds are well below other devices and has a video of a KitKat Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 side by side. The Nexus 5 loads everything faster.

When they subjected the storage IO to synthetic tests, the sequential read/write were low. Random read/write is quite high so it's possible there was a tradeoff in the design for some reason.

Generally FDE (full disk encryption) shouldn't impact more than 1-2%.

I have a Nexus 6 on order and I have to admit I'm a little skittish right now due to the many issues being raised.

See this (a nexus 5 running lollipop with encryption takes the same performance hit):

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JeremyCamp1337/posts/iDyPjEuEf51

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

See this (a nexus 5 running lollipop with encryption takes the same performance hit):

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+JeremyCamp1337/posts/iDyPjEuEf51

Wow. That's really a huge hit. PC solutions don't take that kind of hit.

While there's at least some consolation that every device will be in the same boat, the really horrible news is that the platorm (Android) just collectively took a major step backwards in terms of performance and user experience.

Do we know how the Apple crypto is impacting things?

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Wow. That's really a huge hit. PC solutions don't take that kind of hit.

While there's at least some consolation that every device will be in the same boat, the really horrible news is that the platorm (Android) just collectively took a major step backwards in terms of performance and user experience.

Do we know how the Apple crypto is impacting things?

See my thread where I explain this issue and why Apple is not affected -
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ome-thoughts-device-encryption-nexus-6-a.html

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

actually Joe, no. I won't wait. I am not buying a $700 USD piece of equipment that is slower than what I already have with my Moto X

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'm very picky when it comes to phones and I've canceled my preorder but this slow write speed thing is overblown. It won't be noticeable to 99.9999% of the population. to the other .0001%, they notice only because they are looking for it.

But I want my app to open right now....... Not 1/10 of a second later........ (Stomps feet and runs off to his room)

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

But I want my app to open right now....... Not 1/10 of a second later........ (Stomps feet and runs off to his room)

If u don't like this phone or u think this phone is slow or low battery...just go buy different phone... Very simple...

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

They turned encryption off on the N9 with custom boot image I believe. They said there was a noticeable increase in speed

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Seems due to the encryption, so I am sure it might be improved somewhat, but the added encryption is what seems to be the culprit. So you either have more security and a little slower speeds, or less security and faster speeds (kitkat)

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Seems due to the encryption, so I am sure it might be improved somewhat, but the added encryption is what seems to be the culprit. So you either have more security and a little slower speeds, or less security and faster speeds (kitkat)
Heh... You have the -promise- of more security...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

If u don't like this phone or u think this phone is slow or low battery...just go buy different phone... Very simple...

LOL! really?

I can't wait to get mine! Motorola said it's suppose to ship today! I'm not at all concerned was just trying to be funny that's all!

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm still getting the Nexus 6. I don't think the normal user will know the difference but this forum is not for normal users. I was just testing out the speed of my Iphone 6 Plus vs. my Oneplus One. The Iphone was just a hair faster. I then tried it with my Nexus 9 and Ipad Air (1st gen). The Nexus 9 was slightly faster this time. With it being so close, this type of stuff doesn't bother me.

SRVisGod24

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm still getting the Nexus 6. I don't think the normal user will know the difference but this forum is not for normal users. I was just testing out the speed of my Iphone 6 Plus vs. my Oneplus One. The Iphone was just a hair faster. I then tried it with my Nexus 9 and Ipad Air (1st gen). The Nexus 9 was slightly faster this time. With it being so close, this type of stuff doesn't bother me.

I got rid of my iPhone 6 Plus to get the Nexus 6. Might cancel my pre order of the Nexus to wait for a 64gb. Thinking about getting the OPO, what do you think of it?

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Lol that one review made a phone no one has used or experienced for themselves yet a piece of crap. /sigh