how important of a feature is wireless charging to you?

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering?? I am thinking I would like wireless charging a lot. Does it work well? As I wait to order (since I can't get it from google or Moto--do not want carrier version] I am still looking at some of the features and thinking this is one that most phones do not have and should.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Re: how important of a feature is wireless charging to you

Been using wireless charging since the launch of the nexus 5, I pretty much can't live without it anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Me too. I won't even buy a device without anymore. You just put a charging pad in a spot or two where you know you will be setting your device down while you do something (in the office while on computer or such) and every time your going about your business just put down the device on the pad and it charges. The need to charge will become a thing of the past. Its like having a never ending battery.

If you think about it we all have a spot where we put our devices down while we are busy doing other things at home. Why not have your device automatically charging while its sitting there. Most convenient efficient way to charge.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Having never used it or given it much serious thought I'd say it's 1 on a 10 scale.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Having it on my nexus 5 and 7. It is the only reason I waited for the nexus6 and not jump on the moto x. I really don't ever want another phone or tablet with out it.

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

It's a must. My next phone will have it. When is unknown. Still waiting hear when Verizon will be releasing the Nexus 6.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

I love it. It's so convenient when I'm in bed and I want to check something on my phone really quick. I love not having a charging cable dangling from the bottom of my phone while I'm in bed. It's also great at your desk. Not having a huge rats nest of wires snarling all of your desk to charge various things is great.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

It's definitely a nice feature. I still have the orb-shaped nexus Qi charger that I'll use with the Nexus 6. I also ordered the TYLT charger.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Prior to getting my Nexus 5, I thought it was all hype. Now, I will not buy a phone without it. It is the main reason I did not buy a G3 (AT&T version uses PMA and I'm already heavily invested in Qi) or Moto X (2014). It NEARLY lured me back to Samsung because the Note 4 is Qi compatible.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I am wondering?? I am thinking I would like wireless charging a lot. Does it work well? As I wait to order (since I can't get it from google or Moto--do not want carrier version] I am still looking at some of the features and thinking this is one that most phones do not have and should.

Not a complete deal breaker for me but it is one of those really nice luxury features I really like on my phone... No fumbling around for a cable that may have fallen behind your desk, nightstand or bed... No wear and tear on the USB port from trying to plug it in upside down.... I have one on my desk at work and I probably set it down and pick it up 30 - 40 times per day... No cable that might get snagged on something when you want to just check a notification or what not real quick....... I bought the TYLT chargers which are pricey unless you get them when they are on sale here and there... but it's got a nice tilt to it so I can see the phone really well.. On my night stand I use my phone as my alarm clock and it's tilted perfectly.... I can watch a movie while it's still tilted up and charging....

Now there are draw backs... It's a lot slower or well I've found it's about 20% slower than your typical regular USB charging. Probably 40% slower than the new turbo charging tech in the Nexus 6... Each time you pick it up of course the charging stops unlike while plugged in... If your battery is really low and you have somewhere to be or go in 1/2 an hour I'd plug it up to get a better boost of battery vs letting it charge wireless... My first charger was a cheap $10 one off amazon and my phone got really hot when charging wireless.. I exchanged it and the replacement did the same.. Never had the heating issue when I bought the TYLT ($70 in their store by the way) but the phone can some times be mildly warm while charging wireless... But at least with the TYLT it's very minimal... That cheap amazon one I had it got REALLY hot.... I've read other people have had better luck with some cheaper options... But I wouldn't want to go to a phone without it... Again a wonderful luxury option to have in my opinion....

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Wireless charging is the tits!!!! I have not used the micro usb port on my N5 expect to connect it to my computer to offload or onload files. So I don't worry about it becoming loose or messed up or worried about something breaking off in there...

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Not a complete deal breaker for me but it is one of those really nice luxury features I really like on my phone... No fumbling around for a cable that may have fallen behind your desk, nightstand or bed... No wear and tear on the USB port from trying to plug it in upside down.... I have one on my desk at work and I probably set it down and pick it up 30 - 40 times per day... No cable that might get snagged on something when you want to just check a notification or what not real quick....... I bought the TYLT chargers which are pricey unless you get them when they are on sale here and there... but it's got a nice tilt to it so I can see the phone really well.. On my night stand I use my phone as my alarm clock and it's tilted perfectly.... I can watch a movie while it's still tilted up and charging....

Now there are draw backs... It's a lot slower or well I've found it's about 20% slower than your typical regular USB charging. Probably 40% slower than the new turbo charging tech in the Nexus 6... Each time you pick it up of course the charging stops unlike while plugged in... If your battery is really low and you have somewhere to be or go in 1/2 an hour I'd plug it up to get a better boost of battery vs letting it charge wireless... My first charger was a cheap $10 one off amazon and my phone got really hot when charging wireless.. I exchanged it and the replacement did the same.. Never had the heating issue when I bought the TYLT ($70 in their store by the way) but the phone can some times be mildly warm while charging wireless... But at least with the TYLT it's very minimal... That cheap amazon one I had it got REALLY hot.... I've read other people have had better luck with some cheaper options... But I wouldn't want to go to a phone without it... Again a wonderful luxury option to have in my opinion....

Do you think the turbo charger can work with the wireless Qi charger? I know it will charge the phone, but I'm wondering with the extra juice of the turbo charger could it speed up the charging process doing it wirelessly. I know it will never be as fast as just plugging it in.

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Do you think the turbo charger can work with the wireless Qi charger? I know it will charge the phone, but I'm wondering with the extra juice of the turbo charger could it speed up the charging process doing it wirelessly. I know it will never be as fast as just plugging it in.

Unfortunately they can't be used together to speed the process up. Only the Moto Quick Charger will do the faster charging. But I know when I go to bed, I just plop my phone down on my nightstand on my wireless charger and when I wake up, it is good to go....

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

Ya I could really care or less about wireless charding at this point in time. Car charger seems slow enough let a lone a wireless charger. I plug mine in at night and it's good to go in the morning!!!

Posted via Android Central App

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I have one on my desk at work and I probably set it down and pick it up 30 - 40 times per day
I thought you have to charge the phone all the way, then only re-charge it when its almost depleted because you only have so many times you can charge it before the battery goes bad. Is that something to be concerned about?

Thanks for all your input on this:D

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I thought you have to charge the phone all the way, then only re-charge it when its almost depleted because you only have so many times you can charge it before the battery goes bad. Is that something to be concerned about?

Thanks for all your input on this:D

The new lithium ion batteries don't need to be completely depleted and charged back up.... It's not like the older batteries that if you didn't run it all the way dead before charging you did a lot of damage to the battery.... Naturally the battery will slowly loose a little life as you move forward with the device... but I've had my Nexus 5 since November 4th of last year and it's been exclusively charged via wireless charging and I've done the same system to where it's on and off the Qi Charger 30 - 40 times a day and for the most part the battery last pretty much as long as it did when I first got it... If it's any worse after a year it is very minimal......

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I bought one of these ( Energizer Dual Twin Seat Charge Qi Standard Wireless Charger Pad | eBay ) soon after the Nexus 4 was released and put it on the nightstand where both my wife and I dropped our N4's each night. I habitually wake up at around 1:30 AM and always find that my phone is fully charged by that time.

I replaced my N4 with an N5 around this time last year and the charger continues to perform well for both of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

For me wireless charging is almost a must have at this point. It's one of those things that seems kinda gimmicky until you use it for a while and then you get hooked.

For me I was hooked on wireless charging back when I had a Palm Pre. It was so ridiculously awesome that it genuinely made me sad when I had to replace that phone with and Android phone that didn't have it.

Now I have a Nexus 5 and 7 with wireless charging again and now that it is becoming more main stream I really can't see myself buying a phone that doesn't have it ever again.

To be honest I really REALLY wanted to buy the new Moto X when it came out... honestly I wanted one before it was even announced. I didn't have any idea what it would look like or what they were going to change from the original. All I knew was that my wife had an Original Moto X and it was so awesome I pretty much threatened to steal it on a daily basis.

Long story short when we switched to T-mobile earlier this year, my Wife got a Note 3 and I got a Nexus 5. After using the Nexus for a while I was genuinely torn on whether I would want the next Nexus phone or the Next Moto X. When the Moto X was announced without wireless charging I was a little bummed but not surprised. However when I found out that the Nexus 6 was basically a Giant Moto X with wireless charging I was definitely leaning towards picking one up... Then the Droid turbo came out, and although it is currently a verizon exclusive the rumors are flying that it may just end up on other carriers too. So now I just have to figure out which would be harder to live with, Shamu or those capacitive buttons (gross) on the Turbo... that is assuming I wouldn't have to wait forever to actually get a turbo on T-mobile.

In either case I'm not in a hurry. I just flashed Lollipop on my N5 and it feels like a new phone... you know aside from the fact it's dinged, scratched, and kinda greasy.

sdchris

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

I guess I'm on the opposite end of this debate. I don't care for it much but it is a nice option to have, none the less. The Qi chargers I had didn't seem to do a great job. Maybe it was my spigen case or maybe the chargers sucked. Sometimes it worked well and then others it was unbearably slow. Plugging the phone in is my best option for me. I wouldn't take away the capability to wireless charge, though, since so many people like it.