Google Nexus 6 Here's a thought...

SteveISU

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
How hamstrung is the phone going to be when ART is the only choice? I know many who played around going from ART to DALVIK found some apps were broken on ART. There's nothing to fall back on with the Nexus 6. People will have to deal with busted apps till developers get around to updating them?

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Here's a thought...

It will be a fast update....considering the majority of flagship phones will be running on art by years end. They will have to update or watch their app become less and less used with each passing month.

sodaboy581

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

There's nothing to fall back on with the Nexus 6.
There's nothing to fall back on with any phone running Lollipop, not just the Nexus 6. That means all the Moto Xs (2014), Moto Gs (2014), LG G3s, NVIDIA SHIELD Tablets, etc. etc. already running Lollipop are in the same situation.

Most manufacturers are targeting before the end of the year/first months of next year to update their newest/most popular phones to Lollipop. Lollipop is the future and this pretty much forces the developers to update their applications or get left behind... It's definitely a good thing.

I'd rather everybody push forward than to stay behind, which is also why Motorola (remaining phones), Sony, Samsung, HTC, OnePlus, are getting their updates ready ASAP too.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I switched to ART on my Moto X 2013 and found a couple apps would never load. W/in 2 weeks, those apps got updates and work fine now.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

I have been running Lollipop on my 7 and 4 since the factory images were released.

This is the best release ever in terms of app compatibility out of the gate. I can't think of really anything that's not working at the moment. I'm sure there must be something, but the long development preview window really helped.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

ART in Lollipop isn't the same as ART on KitKat. In Lollipop, ART has Dalvik baked in so to speak. You won't see runtime related failures the way you did with the ART preview in KitKat. Google talked about this at I/O.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

If this switch from dalvik to art was supposed to supercharge your experience with loli, I don't see/feel it. I installed loli a few days ago on my n5 and well I dunno, where is the supercharger?

I mean yeah its a "little" snappier I guess if I had to really think about it but 444 with dalvik was fine with me. I never flipped the switch over when I was on kitkat.

But the os is full of little knick knack that you notice while on it for a few days, nothing earth shattering but cool little things which you will find out after using it.

Oh I got the new google play services which lets you have this thing called smart lock. If you use a pin or pattern on the lockscreen, smart lock bypasses lock when you are in a "trusted" place. Kinda cool, I tested it, she work guud. Small stuff like that keeps me motivated.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Oh I got the new google play services which lets you have this thing called smart lock. If you use a pin or pattern on the lockscreen, smart lock bypasses lock when you are in a "trusted" place. Kinda cool, I tested it, she work guud. Small stuff like that keeps me motivated.

Did you sideload it or was it pushed to your phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech