No free tethering with Nexus 6?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Just a FYI. Just found out that its disabled. If I can't find a legal workaround this phone will go back. First vanilla android phone I have to have this stupid lock.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: No free tethering with Nexus 6

You used to be able to get away with that but not anymore, not even with T-mobile from my understanding. I'm on a mobile share plan so I don't believe it will be an issue for me, tethering is included. I've always thought charging for tethering was an unfair deal. They are charging you for using data you've already paid for. It shouldn't matter how you use it, straight from the device or tethering another.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You used to be able to get away with that but not anymore, not even with T-mobile from my understanding. I'm on a mobile share plan so I don't believe it will be an issue for me, tethering is included. I've always thought charging for tethering was an unfair deal. They are charging you for using data you've already paid for. It shouldn't matter how you use it, straight from the device or tethering another.

Carriers can't charge for tethering if they're selling you a limited amount of data. That is why now it's always included.

They can only charge extra if the customer has an unlimited data plan.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Just a FYI. Just found out that its disabled. If I can't find a legal workaround this phone will go back. First vanilla android phone I have to have this stupid lock.

Are you referring to USB tethering or a Wifi hotspot? Also, what carrier are you on?

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

As I wrote two posts above yours, AT&T. I'm referring to WiFi hotspot. I'd be surprised if USB worked because it never really did on any of my phones.

My bad; I missed your reply at the end of your post. Anyway, I believe the free Wifi hotspot has been disabled on most newer phones (if you are unlimited?); I'm not positive on the details though.

However, USB tethering works great with my 2013 Moto X using FoxFi, so I would imagine it could work on the Nexus 6.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

So, what exactly are you saying?

You are unable to turn it on? You turn it on but it doesn't function? You get an error message?

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site

Hey Quietly brilliant, I'm also on AT&T and had the same exact issue when buying a BB Z30. The manager at my local AT&T store explained he had to type in the IMEI number to my account, rebooted the phone and worked immediately. You can also call AT&T customer service and they'll do the same over the phone.

Joe Mags

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

This is really bad news. I am ready to pull the trigger on this phone via Moto as soon as the blue 64s are in stock. I am coming from a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with unlimited data. I didn't expect this from a Nexus. Are there any other options?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Even if the built in tethering feature doesn't work, there are plenty of tethering apps in the Play Store. I've never not been able to tether with an Android phone one way or another.

Mayze

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Let me get this straight. There is no WiFi hotspot toggle or it won't let you tether after a subscription check? I'm on VZW unlimited and I pay extra for unlimited tethering. If I buy this phone I won't be able to tether?

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
If you pay for tethering you'll get it, I would think. I'm on Verizon with unlimited data. Every phone I get I can't tether, meaning the toggle is there but when you turn it on you get a message saying you need to check with your carrier and pay for tethering.

I had the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and it was locked down but there were work arounds. I now own a Moto X classic DE and used Foxfi until KitKat broke that. Since then the developer of Foxfi has not found a work around for hotspot on the Moto X. Was hoping this would work with the Nexus 6 but sounds like it doesn't. I may switch carriers finally.

Posted via Android Central App

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site

I typed this reply after configuring my hotspot on my Nexus 6 I'm using on an AT&T Family Share 15GB plan.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Hey Quietly brilliant, I'm also on AT&T and had the same exact issue when buying a BB Z30. The manager at my local AT&T store explained he had to type in the IMEI number to my account, rebooted the phone and worked immediately. You can also call AT&T customer service and they'll do the same over the phone.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Do you have unlimited data? This issue might be specific to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca