Turn a carrier Nexus into a Google Nexus? Possible?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So with some of the carrier devices that also have a GPE device, you can turn them into GPE devices with a bit of work. Would this be possible with the Nexus 6 using a stock recovery image?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Other than the logo on the outside I'm not aware of any differences that you'd be modifying; but yes, you can always flash a factory image on a Nexus and there is only one US Nexus 6 listed on the images.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Other than the logo on the outside I'm not aware of any differences that you'd be modifying; but yes, you can always flash a factory image on a Nexus and there is only one US Nexus 6 listed on the images.

Get rid of any bloat AT&T could possibly dump on the thing including the AT&T contacts backup app and the AT&T hotspot app to auto auth to their "attwifi" points(which are actually nice) and receive OTA's from Google instead of having them tested/vetted/possibly delayed through AT&T?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The way I understand it, the "bloat" is installed based on the first SIM card you put into the device on a fresh install and it is all removable. OTA's already should come from Google and AT&T testing (if any is necessary) would be done in advance of the build release.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see what happens when someone needs to process a warranty claim through Motorola. Will Motorola match up the IMEI against the original point of distribution (carrier/Play/Motorola/etc) and replace with one matched to same, or with a 'generic' one...

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there will be any difference and updates will always come directly from Google. There is only one model nexus for all of north America. This isn't like the galaxy nexus where there were carrier specific models.

macewank

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Get rid of any bloat AT&T could possibly dump on the thing including the AT&T contacts backup app and the AT&T hotspot app to auto auth to their "attwifi" points(which are actually nice) and receive OTA's from Google instead of having them tested/vetted/possibly delayed through AT&T?

The bloat can be addressed by flashing a factory image, if it even happens.

The updates are not something you need to be concerned with. There are only 2 SKU's for the Nexus 6. US and International. Updates to US N6 devices will take place simultaneously (staggered rollout as usual) and the carrier is irrelevant. They will have already completed their testing before the update goes live on Google's side.

y2jdmbfan

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Play Store Nexus 6 and it automatically downloaded my AT&T and AT&T Live, which I uninstalled right away, so I think it is SIM dependent.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Once good feature I actually like that AT&T provides is the ability to automatically connect to their "attwifi" hotspots at like Starbucks, HomeDepot and other places that provide it. I think this is provided by the "AT&T Hotspot" app right? or is it the "AT&T Wifi" app?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Play Store Nexus 6 and it automatically downloaded my AT&T and AT&T Live, which I uninstalled right away, so I think it is SIM dependent.

I can second this. I also have a Play Store Nexus and it auto downloaded those AT&T apps. Although they're easily uninstallable.

I did keep myAT&T though. One carrier app wouldn't hurt I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

If that's all it downloads then I will be happy. I use the my At&t app so I'll keep that, and the other one I'll delete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund