how to get N6 to always listen?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to understand how to get my nexus 6 to always listen. Currently the only way it will react is if the screen is on and I'm on the home screen with the Google search bar or if I'm on the google now screen.

In addition, I assumed I could train it to respond more reliably to my voice, but this is also nowhere to be found in settings.

Thanks.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Settings/Language & input/voice input/Enhanced Google Services/Tap the cog wheel

It's also accessible via Google Now by tapping the Hamburger menu & than settings

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I found it. Man that setting menu is ridiculously hidden!

The crazy good news is that it can be trained to anything. I trained mine to OK nexus and it works flawlessly.

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
One thing I did notice is that I only say the word "ok" and it opens up. Major pain in the *** if you ask me and I had to disable it until google can better tune the listening software.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't use the "OK" portion. I am pretty sure you can train it to use any word(s), Mine is currently responding to "what the hades"

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
How do you train it to say something other than ok google?
Simply by using whatever training words you want to use. Mine is now responding to "OK Nexus". This helps a great deal when I have my Nexus 9 and my Nexus 5 in the same room. Now they respond to different phrases. Talk about handy.

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for that advice! I set it to respond to Hello Nexus. I would have liked to use your idea but any and every time I said ok in real life, my phone would wake up.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Simply by using whatever training words you want to use. Mine is now responding to "OK Nexus". This helps a great deal when I have my Nexus 9 and my Nexus 5 in the same room. Now they respond to different phrases. Talk about handy.

Is there a particular setting you have to go to to train the phone? How do you set it up?

Posted via the Android Central App

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
In Google Now settings there should be a "Voice" tab. In that, there should be the option for "OK Google Detection". In that there should be a selection for "Always On". When you select that it will ask you to train your voice. Here is where you will think up your own catch phrase. Good luck :)

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I am using " hello Nexus 6" but I am turning it off today I think. Battery draining faster than normal. Anyone else? Plus, I have a moto360, so having it always listening might be overkill, cuz I think I can do everything through my watch.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Settings > Language and Input > Voice Input > Enhanced Google Services Settings Gear Button on right > OK Google Detection then at the bottom you will find area where you can train the OK Google Voice model....