Going from Galaxy S3 to Nexus 6. Couple simple very quick questions.

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
- Is there a way to wake the phone up without having to press the power button on the side? The GS3 has the HOME button on the bottom which was really nice for waking it up. Tapping the screen X times? Shake? Swipe a certain way? etc etc...

- is there a way to "close all open apps" after pressing the square button on the bottom right? On the GS3, if you hold the HOME button, the "open app manager" opens up and the bottom right button closes all open apps. I don't see a way to do that on the Nexus 6 other than swiping off every app in the list.

- can anybody recommend a better email app than the stock GMail one, that can do GMail, Yahoo Mail, and an Exchange server email? I am using CloudMail right now and it's great, except for some reason you can't turn off the threaded/conversation style inbox.

- can someone recommend a PDF viewer since this phone doesnt' come with one?? (I'm amazed at all the little crud that Samsung put in my GS3 that I used!!??)

That's all I can think of for now... I am doing pretty good, it's just these last couple annoyances that are driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The PDF question is about the only question I can answer, since I don't own a Nexus, but I've been using Foxit for years. Most "Office-type" apps can also read pdfs.

For email ... I'm still looking. I'm using the Google Email app for now, but it's still not what I want. (And writing the UI to the app I want is more than I want to take on right now. ([The IMAP/SMTP parts are trivial, I've written them many times in many languages.]) I've tried MyMail and it's not too bad, but it's still not really what I want. (GMail is definitely so not what I want that I uninstalled it almost the first time I saw how it - pardon the lie - works.)

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Can't you set it so that the phone is always listening for "Okay Google"? Seems like I saw that on a youtube video that you could wake it up that way.

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Lollipop is supposed to have 'tap to wake' built in.. I believe it works like on LG devices, I tap twice and the screen turns on to your lock screen. But maybe you need to enable it in settings?

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys! Although, it seems like most answers just came out to be "yup, that's an issue, you're boned". LOL!

What about the "how to close all open/running apps/windows/tabs" question? And is there a way to get Google Chrome to work like it used to? On Lollipop, Chrome opens all tabs as individual f'ing app windows/pages! So intermixed with my browser tabs are whatever else I have running, calculator, calendar, etc etc... Chrome on Android 4.3 maintained all the tabs within the Chrome app and the Chrome app just showed up as one window in the app/task manager.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
- Is there a way to wake the phone up without having to press the power button on the side? The GS3 has the HOME button on the bottom which was really nice for waking it up. Tapping the screen X times? Shake? Swipe a certain way? etc etc...

- is there a way to "close all open apps" after pressing the square button on the bottom right? On the GS3, if you hold the HOME button, the "open app manager" opens up and the bottom right button closes all open apps. I don't see a way to do that on the Nexus 6 other than swiping off every app in the list.

- can anybody recommend a better email app than the stock GMail one, that can do GMail, Yahoo Mail, and an Exchange server email? I am using CloudMail right now and it's great, except for some reason you can't turn off the threaded/conversation style inbox.

- can someone recommend a PDF viewer since this phone doesnt' come with one?? (I'm amazed at all the little crud that Samsung put in my GS3 that I used!!??)

That's all I can think of for now... I am doing pretty good, it's just these last couple annoyances that are driving me nuts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Gmail has the capeability to do Yahoo, Msn, or what ever other mail that you are suscribed to. So far I have Gmail, and Yahoo, I must remember my Msn

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site

Based on messing with it in store, reading comments, and videos, I can answer most of this.

Ambient display pops up anytime you move the phone from a static position. This is a black and white display, once you touch it and interact with it, it will immediately turn on fully.

You can close all apps I believe. Thankfully it's not iPhone 6 :)

Gmail on 5.0 incorporates many different emails into one from what I've seen.

Pdf I can't speak of, but I saw you're gotten an answer to that one.

lildj0809

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Actually I was mistaken. It might as well be an iPhone. I could've sworn I watched a review that showed clearing all recent apps, but he didn't. And upon further research, it seems that option isn't available at this time.

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
The gmail app works really well with the new redesign and the IMAP and exchange mail integration. There is currently no way to close all apps at once within the task manager. You can choose to turn off the separate "app" for every tab in chrome it is an option to go back to the old way. I have been rooted and purchased the double tap to wake app so that I could have that functionality. Honestly there are very few times that I even use it as the ambient display usually pops up and I can just enter the phone from there. It is also a glitchy implementation in its current state and could be the reason that Google choose to disable it on the Nexus 6.

*Update* mine opens PDF files just fine from emails. It appears to open up in google drive and I can view and share the PDF from there.

Posted via the Android Central App

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
-quick office or google drive works for pdfs
-for the task manager there is no need to ever close any of the apps that is why there is no close all button -the phone closes out background tasks automatically depending on how often you use that task that has been running in the background (if you haven't used that program for a long time and your phone needs ram to open up a new app you just clicked on then it will close out the old program- the only reason to close out an app manually is if that app is misbehaving and crashing
-the nexus 6 gmail app does yahoo, exchange, and gmail so no need to not use this app. If you need another email client though im sure there are a ton in the google play store. Have not looked into this myself so I cannot give you a name of an app.
-yes make sure your ambient display is turned on, then all you have to do is lift the phone to wake it up. Also if you get notifications your screen will pulse with information and you can turn on the phone by interacting with it. You can also use ok google voice functionality to wake the device up or look into "gesture" apps.

all_bran

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the info! Couple things. I am using Nova Launcher to give me the unread notification count for facebook, messenger, email, etc... And my exchange server makes me have a passcode on wakeup. Do any of those sound like they would mess up the ambient wakeup? It doesn't seem to work every time. How long does the phone have to be sitting still before the ambient wakeup works?

Oh yeah, and I can't use the GMail app because with Nova Launcher, it only shows me the count for the unread GMail emails... it doesn't include my Yahoo or corporate exchange emails in the unread count. But CloudMagic works great and shows the right count.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith