ATT puchase for use on Verizon

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone purchased the phone from ATT store to use on Verizon? If so, how did you manage? Went to ATT store, they have the 64gb in stock, but would not sell to me outright. I must sign up for their service.
So if i get the phone and activate on ATT network, can i then cancel their service and just install a sim from verizon? then remove any and all bloatware from ATT?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
AT&T would probably require the return of the phone (since part of the conditions of sale require that the phone be kept on an active AT&T account for a certain amount of time), and Verizon doesn't accept phones with IMEIs not in their database (IOW, phones they or an agent of theirs didn't sell).

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I thought the nexus 6 worked on any network. So purchasing a phone elsewhere and then inserting an active vzw sim into the phone would be ok. Maybe i'm wrong.
As for ATT requiring the phone to be returned, I'm paying full price doesn't that make the phone mine to keep?.
Also, isn't there a 14 cancelling period so that I'm not stuck with having to pay them for term?

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes it will work on Verizon. As long as they are bought at TMobile or Sprint. I think the At&t ones are Sim locked.

Posted via the Android Central App

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok. maybe I asked this wrong.
As has been posted on many threads, phones purchased from TM, Sprint have been used on vzw without any problems (and my understanding is that all nexus 6 phones come with radio's for all carriers.).
I am currently a vzw customer have been for many years and have an active sim card. My question was more directed to whether I can activate the phone on ATT, as they will not release the phone otherwise, and then cancel the ATT account and just insert the vzw sim and be good to go. As has been done with TMobile purchased phones. No penalties or fees from ATT. I know there are NO vzw branded nexus 6 phones but apparently that hasn't prevented the nexus 6 from working on their network.
As for the website CTInyc I checked and a search returned NO nexus 6.

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes it will work on Verizon. As long as they are bought at TMobile or Sprint. I think the At&t ones are Sim locked.

OK so the sim lock will prevent it from being used elsewhere? Had a 64gb blue in my hands at ATT and didn't want to buy until i was sure i can use it on vzw. There are no TMobile or Sprint corporate stores anywhere near me, and their resellers don't have any in stock.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Yup AT&T sim locked theirs. I purchased a T-Mobile model to use on my Verizon account. One catch though is you need an already activated nano sim or cut down micro sim for it to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton