Why can't I use MP3s as ringtones?

dinobotterrorize

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Can't use MP3s as ringtones

I have a Nexus 6 on Lollipop from AT&T. I transfered most of my files from my Galaxy S2 to my Nexus 6 so that I could use all the ringtones I had made. I go into the settings on my Nexus 6 and change the default ringtone to an mp3 or m4a file(I made some ringtones on iTunes as well; I used to have a 3GS). It previews fine. I test it by calling my cell and a default system sound plays instead. I've been trying to find that default system sound and I realized it's the one that plays when you're in the settings and changing the ringtone volume and it plays the sound to let you preview the volume level. It's a small "dong" sound.

I noticed that the default ringtones work but they are in .ogg format. I haven't tried changing the format of the ringtone but I'd rather not. I no longer have some of the mp3s that I used to make the ringtones.

Thanks for the help in advance!

EDIT: Changing it to .ogg format also works. My files were placed in the default location for Ringtones when you connect it to a PC. I think it's storage/emulated/0/Ringtones.

Last edited:

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can't use MP3s as ringtones

I had to put my phone ringtone into a new created folder: media/audio/ringtones

It's an mp3 and it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair