Switch from Moto to the N6?

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been blessed with the opportunity to use both the Nexus 6 and the Moto X 2014 pure edition, and now I have found myself in a conundrum. The Nexus is $230 more expensive, but I liked it more. Better battery, better screen, better developer use. Is it worth the money to return my Moto and go back to the Nexus, or should I just be satisfied til next year's 64bit Nexus releases?

material yolo?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Based on what you're saying it seems as if the Nexus 6 would be the phone for you. If you don't mind the size of the phone then go for it. You essentially have a Nexus with your Pure Moto X 2014. Just not an unlockable bootloader. Some say the QHD is over kill and that 1080p is plenty. My only concern with the Moto X is the battery. Besides that I'd go for it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Probably not an option, but keep em both. I still have and use both my Moto X and M8 although the Nexus 6 is the preferred phone in my pocket right now. Nice thing is all 3 use a nano sim.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Some say the QHD is over kill and that 1080p is plenty.

I would have been okay with a 1080p panel on the Nexus 6... I bet you'd get at least a 10 - 20% bump in battery life with minimal difference in quality on the screen.... I compared a Note 3 and Note 4 side by side at Best Buy and there different was so marginal I don't think the extra power needed to power the extra pixels was worth that much more.... That being said I still easily get through a full day on a single charge... Not going to go past 15 - 18 hours on a single charge... but it easily makes it from wake up to bedtime with a little to spare..

There is no way I'd trade my Nexus 6 for something smaller.. I did end up buying a used Moto G LTE from last year just for when I got cycling, jogging or the gym.. Just swap the SIM out.... I found the Nexus 6 size is awesome except if you are trying to lug it around the gym or jogging... when I am cycling or jogging I want a phone with me just in case something happens without having to deal with this beast of a device at the gym I had it fall out of my pocket on some equipment and luckily didn't suffer any damage (plus I'd rather something bad happen to a $130 Moto G vs my $750 Nexus 6)

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I had the Nexus for a week, and I actually miss the size, but I thought I might like the Moto more. Turns out its not really much better. Batter is "ok". I can actually tell a difference in the screen. The 2k was insane!
Wish I could keep both, but need to pick one.

material yolo?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would have been okay with a 1080p panel on the Nexus 6... I bet you'd get at least a 10 - 20% bump in battery life with minimal difference in quality on the screen.

Perhaps... but Pandora is out of her box already. OEMs are under pressure to slap QHD screens in their flagships and most, with the notable exception of Sony, are happy to oblige. And while Sony has a perfectly reasonable and defensible stance on the issue, you can rest assured that when they release their next top of the line phone with a 1080 panel, one of the criticisms will be "Lacks QHD display".... I mean, if the Nexus 6 dropped with a 6" 1080 screen, no cries of "dat battery life" would shout down the howls from people saying that Google cheesed out and put a 'low rez' screen in there.

Now, for the 5" crowd... yes, there's absolutely no excuse for going to QHD... its silly. But once you get to 5.5" and above... well, you are going to be hard pressed to justify putting a less-detailed screen in a newer model. (The Nexus 6's pixel density is only an 11% improvement on the Nexus 5, even though it has nearly twice the amount of pixels)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps... but Pandora is out of her box already. OEMs are under pressure to slap QHD screens in their flagships and most, with the notable exception of Sony, are happy to oblige. And while Sony has a perfectly reasonable and defensible stance on the issue, you can rest assured that when they release their next top of the line phone with a 1080 panel, one of the criticisms will be "Lacks QHD display".... I mean, if the Nexus 6 dropped with a 6" 1080 screen, no cries of "dat battery life" would shout down the howls from people saying that Google cheesed out and put a 'low rez' screen in there.

Now, for the 5" crowd... yes, there's absolutely no excuse for going to QHD... its silly. But once you get to 5.5" and above... well, you are going to be hard pressed to justify putting a less-detailed screen in a newer model. (The Nexus 6's pixel density is only an 11% improvement on the Nexus 5, even though it has nearly twice the amount of pixels)

qHD and 4K coming next year is primarily marketing and bragging rights... There is a reason most TV MFG's don't make 4K TV's smaller than about 50 inches.... The benefit of all those extra pixels and resolution is better realized in much larger sizes at a comfortable distance away.... 5 inches to 6, 7 or even 10 inch devices the true benefit is minimal at best vs 1080p.... but you are 100% accurate.... if Samsung slaps a qHD screen on the Note 4 there is no way you can make a "Flagship" devices in the 5.5 to 6 inch range without a qHD screen.... Next year if Samsung slaps 4K screens on the S6 and Note 5 everyone will have no choice but to follow suit and do the same.... (Outside of Apple who kind of has it's own market all to themselves... They just have to be marginally better than last years model.) Android OEM's have to compete for the same business (more so than fend off Apple)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
qHD and 4K coming next year is primarily marketing and bragging rights...

You'd be able to see a difference between 1080 and QHD on a 6" screen. In something like the 5.2" droid turbo, it's a waste. I'm not saying the HD would look bad, you'd just see the variance.

But there is a marketing component to it. But that's what flagship models are for; showing off the latest and greatest.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You'd be able to see a difference between 1080 and QHD on a 6" screen. In something like the 5.2" droid turbo, it's a waste. I'm not saying the HD would look bad, you'd just see the variance.

But there is a marketing component to it. But that's what flagship models are for; showing off the latest and greatest.

I have darn near 20/20 vision and playing with a Note 3 with 1080p vs a Note 4 with qHD was a very minimal difference.... You are talking about 1080 vs 1440 not that much of a difference... Even for a 6 inch screen... Unless you just have Eagle vision....

Quad HD vs 1080p vs 720p comparison: here's what's the difference

At regular viewing distances it's practically impossible to notice the difference in sharpness between say the 1080p Galaxy S5 and the future Quad HD flagships.

That isn't to say you won't notice one is slightly better than the other and have a placebo affect but from a technical stand point Quad HD and soon 4K is just bragging rights on paper more than an actual useful feature...

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I would have been okay with a 1080p panel on the Nexus 6... I bet you'd get at least a 10 - 20% bump in battery life with minimal difference in quality on the screen.... I compared a Note 3 and Note 4 side by side at Best Buy and there different was so marginal I don't think the extra power needed to power the extra pixels was worth that much more.... That being said I still easily get through a full day on a single charge... Not going to go past 15 - 18 hours on a single charge... but it easily makes it from wake up to bedtime with a little to spare..

There is no way I'd trade my Nexus 6 for something smaller.. I did end up buying a used Moto G LTE from last year just for when I got cycling, jogging or the gym.. Just swap the SIM out.... I found the Nexus 6 size is awesome except if you are trying to lug it around the gym or jogging... when I am cycling or jogging I want a phone with me just in case something happens without having to deal with this beast of a device at the gym I had it fall out of my pocket on some equipment and luckily didn't suffer any damage (plus I'd rather something bad happen to a $130 Moto G vs my $750 Nexus 6)

I have made 24 hours, and easily get 15-18 his daily with full brightness, GPS on, auto brightness off, lte off, WiFi auto off, 3 g, on, cloud print off, NFC off.

I turned these features of because they constantly search fur service wearing better life down. Who needs nfc on all the time, who needs to constantly search for Wi-Fi.

Yesterday I talked for 2 hours, and streamed 9.5 hours of music on my internal drive, surfed the web, and made text.. I left for work at 5:30 got back at 8:00pm, out the phone on charge at 10pm with 10 hours estimated battery left

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been blessed with the opportunity to use both the Nexus 6 and the Moto X 2014 pure edition, and now I have found myself in a conundrum. The Nexus is $230 more expensive, but I liked it more. Better battery, better screen, better developer use. Is it worth the money to return my Moto and go back to the Nexus, or should I just be satisfied til next year's 64bit Nexus releases?

material yolo?

If you post all of your financial information and a net present valuation of how much the benefits of the N6 over the Moto X are worth to you, maybe, just maybe, someone else can attempt to answer this question for you.

Posted via the Android Central App

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. Ordered both at the same time. And I was mad that I liked the nexus more because it was nearly 300 bucks more with the cyber Monday deal i got. But I returned the moto x today. The heart what's what it wants ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2