T-mobile cancellation doesn't seem right....

rdalcanto

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a 64GB Nexus on T-mobile and signed up for a new plan. Phone finally came after a month. I called T-mobile to cancel the plan with the intention of keeping the phone. They said I have to send the phone back, unless I cancel after 20 days. Does that seem right? Can I expect other charges after 20 days?...

rdalcanto

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There wasn't the option to buy the phone outright when I ordered. I expect to pay the difference for the value of the phone when I cancel. I don't understand the 20 day rule before I can do that.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
They usually require you to pay for at least one months service.. even if you buy the phone outright from them.. never heard of the 20 day rule.. a friend bought his outright in a T-Mobile store and he just had to pay $50 for one months service in addition to the phone..

alhadee12

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I never heard of the 20 day rule. The fine print if I'm correct states that the remaining balance becomes due if you cancel service.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Why not order the phone from Google and bypass the carrier issues? Other then the phone is probably still on indefinite backorder from Google. ☺

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Yup only problem ordering from Google is you can't. The latest and greatest pure android phone from google released just in time for the holiday season and it's not available and seems like it never will be. lol
I am beginning to think this device only exists in myth.

rdalcanto

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've been trying for over a month to get the phone from Goggle or Motorola....
I called T-mobile again, and they said I have to wait 20 days. Then I will be charged the full price of the phone, and the 20 days of service.... I guess it is a little like being scalped on Ebay for the phone when you just can't get it anywhere else.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a 64GB Nexus on T-mobile and signed up for a new plan. Phone finally came after a month. I called T-mobile to cancel the plan with the intention of keeping the phone. They said I have to send the phone back, unless I cancel after 20 days. Does that seem right? Can I expect other charges after 20 days?...

If you cancel within their 'right of recission' window you have to return the equipment (for refund). Basically if you want to keep the phone you have to wait that period out, then cancel. At that time you'll be responsible for the balance of the phone cost due (their retail price less any initial payment you'd made towards the phone). There should be no other charges beyond that, unless they require 'x' days notice for cancellation. If you still want to do that, you could still enact service elsewhere now and throw that new service provider's SIM in - T-Mobile won't care if you're actually using the service, just that you're paying for and maintaining the agreement through that initial period.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I feel bad that you had to wait a month. I really doubt I will keep Tmobile long term, but I ported a line over from Verizon with the intention of giving them a try. The main motivation was to get my hands on this phone.

I ordered on 11/19 as a new customer. It shipped on 11/20, and I received 11/21. As an added bonus, when the price dropped $48 within the first 14 days, it took one phone call to get a price adjustment.

I've been happy with everything except their coverage. Of course, if I had had to wait a month to receive the phone, I might feel differently.