Forbes' Nexus 6 Review

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Such an arbitrary review....it just seemed like the reviewer could not get past the size of the phone. Which is honestly not that unbearable.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Overall I thought that was a pretty good review... He obviously isn't a fan of the size... From reading it I would say if everything was done exactly the same but in a 5.5 inch size he'd love it and it would be the best phone out there... I agree in the few things I feel are not up to par can be fixed via software updates/tweaks...

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got my Nexus on the 9th and honestly I still am not completely sold on the size. Still looking for the optimal carrying solution. Just got a Krusell sleeve in the largest size they have and it actually fits the Nexus 6 with a TPU case on it. Still a bit tight but will loosen up.

Like the features of the Nexus 6; screen, speakers, camera, 64GB, WiFi speeds, Radios, Lollipop, and even battery life is fine for me. I have until January 9th to make a decision or I guess I could always sell it on SWAPPA.

rowdyspartan

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
The width gets me. But with the added carbon dbrand, the dimple is more pronounced as well as overall fingertip grip. Makes one handing it easier. I've learned to stop fighting to grip the phone edge to edge when one hand typing. Instead letting it rest on my fingers mid phone. Much more comfortable. But that's the price for a bigger screen for video and reading. Worthy trade off for my needs but I can see not for everyone.

Posted via Nexus 6 CW64

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've learned to stop fighting to grip the phone edge to edge when one hand typing. Instead letting it rest on my fingers mid phone.

Exactly what I've done and it's a lot easier to manage the width.... Just a trade off... I couldn't go back to a 5 inch phone though... I even picked up the Oneplus at 5.5 inch was too small after spending a month with the 6 inch Nexus...

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Reviews sometimes are just fun things to read, but not very informative. I don't rely on them anymore when making purchasing decisions anymore. I only read them for the purposes of entertainment. This review points to size as a negative. A 6-inch 1440p AMOLED screen is a dream to some others. I personally love huge screens on smartphone and wish my Note 4 had .3 inches more of screen to work with.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The width gets me. But with the added carbon dbrand, the dimple is more pronounced as well as overall fingertip grip. Makes one handing it easier. I've learned to stop fighting to grip the phone edge to edge when one hand typing. Instead letting it rest on my fingers mid phone. Much more comfortable. But that's the price for a bigger screen for video and reading. Worthy trade off for my needs but I can see not for everyone.

Posted via Nexus 6 CW64

I agree about the width. Having held test display models of both the Nexus 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus, the latter is more comfortable in hand. One would definitely have to hold the Nexus towards the "meat" of the phone in order to use it best, without fear of too many drops.

Personally I agree about the trade-off. The stock experience, the sharp screen for reading and viewing, and stereo speakers make for great sounding music. It just lends for an overall experience that will last into the future, as other devices will go for the latest and greatest.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Overall I thought that was a pretty good review... He obviously isn't a fan of the size... From reading it I would say if everything was done exactly the same but in a 5.5 inch size he'd love it and it would be the best phone out there... I agree in the few things I feel are not up to par can be fixed via software updates/tweaks...

Agreed.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes the width. Also like they had to get it to 6 inches so they made it a tad too wide...

The reviewer lost some credibility with me when he said the G3 screen was sharper...? What? That screen is so dim in comparison. I had to have my brightness up to 75% versus the 45% I used for for nexus 5 and currently use for my nexus 6.

Not to mention the heat it generated which would make it automatically dim to keep the heat down. No way was that screen better IMO.

Posted via my Nexus 6!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... if you knock the phone mostly due to its size.... that isn't the PHONE's fault. Look, how you view the Nexus 6 pretty much solely depends on your ability to deal with the dimensions. Taking size out of the equation, the thing is bloody brilliant.... But the size!

It's not like no one knows how big it is until they take it out of the box for the first time... ERMAHGERD! IT'S MASSIVE! No... if you buy the thing, then come to find that you can't comfortably manage its size, then get a smaller phone. I have big hands and when I saw it in a T-Mobile store and posted a pic, a couple of people thought I was holding the Moto X instead. I can one-hand the thing fairly well, but it does take a bit of a reach to do certain things (like getting to the status bar/notifications) with one hand and I use two just as often (but about as much as I did with my other, smaller phones). So I can respect the frustrations of someone with less ham-hock like appendages expecting to flick out emails and texts without issue. I mean, I'm counting the days until one of the custom roms add in the ability to add a custom nav button to drop down the status bar/notifications shade.... I had that on my G3 and it was legit.

For a lot of people, you'll have to use the Nexus 6 as a phone-enabled tablet. If you aren't prepared for that, don't get the phone.... but don't blast the thing for being large and then call it a mistake because you can't deal.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Problem is if one is a guy one doesn't (most likely) carry a purse and therefore this device is a pita to carry around.

541rrhse

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Such an arbitrary review....it just seemed like the reviewer could not get past the size of the phone. Which is honestly not that unbearable.

Phones have been trending larger for years now, if one does not like this particular size then it kind of discounts a review before it bgins. However, for those who WANT a phone of this size should consider it...period.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Agree. I think they would have had a huge seller on their hands had they kept the super slim bezels, and front speakers and went 5.5 or even 5.7 and it would have been smaller than the note and iPhone and appealed to more people.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Since it is backordered for ever it seems, it has given me time to wait and see what is unveiled at CES. I am still holding out for a nexus 5 refresh on all the carriers like the nexus 6. I would definitely snag one for use on verizon, but if nothing else I can always buy a nexus 6 later on once the madness dies down to use on verizon.

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Problem is if one is a guy one doesn't (most likely) carry a purse and therefore this device is a pita to carry around.

I carry it in a holster for large phones that is hooked to my belt. It's no different in that mode than smaller phones. Amazon has several.

t1328

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
One thing that annoys me with this and many reviews is that the reviewers complain about the slippery back of any phone when most users use a protective case that is less slippery. For example, I have a spigen that is rubbery at the back and very thin. It barely adds any width or thickness, but protects the phone and makes it significantly less likely that I'll drop it. Do that many real world users not use some kind of protective case?

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't feel the need for a case with my Nexus 5, but not so with my Nexus 6. I tried naked for several days and broke down and put a Cruzerlite Bugdroid TPU case on it. I really like it. It makes a huge usability difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome