Battery Life Concerns on Nexus 6

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Funny that you mention that, cause I heard the same thing; exactly why I got rid of it. Besides, I think Facebook is a waste of time, anyway. What shocks me, though, is Facebook comes preinstalled on the Note 4, and you CAN'T get rid of it.

Posted via the Android Central App

You can't delete Facebook? That is incredible.... Facebook is a huge battery drain for not just my phone, but also my life...I am trying to dump it from my entire life. Taking it off my phone was the first step...I hate Facebook

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
With 39 min of screen time, I'm at 87% and it's predicting 7 more hours. I'm thinking that cell signal is the culprit, but even my note 3 wasn't this bad. I usually got almost a full day from it.

The battery prediction looks at how you have used the phone since the last full charge, and assumes that you will continue to use it that way for the rest of the day - so if you took it off the charger at 100% and then, spent 40 minutes browsing the web or playing games etc, and 20 minutes on standby, the phone will assume that you will continue to do so, and gives you an estimate based on that usage scenario. If you keep the phone on standby after that for 3 hours, the remaining battery life estimate will adjust accordingly.

For example, I charged my phone to 100% at about 11pm last night, and took it off the charger, turned off data/Wifi, and left it untouched overnight. This morning, it shows me 96% charge, and estimates that I have several days of battery life left. During the day, because I'll actually be using the phone, the "time remaining" will adjust according to my actual usage.

So, in summary, look at how much battery you are left with at the end of the day, and see if that makes sense. If you think that your battery isn't lasting at long as your other devices, then look at battery usage and see what's draining your battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-30-07-08-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-30-07-08-32.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 66

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
You can't delete Facebook? That is incredible.... Facebook is a huge battery drain for not just my phone, but also my life...I am trying to dump it from my entire life. Taking it off my phone was the first step...I hate Facebook

Yup, you're stuck with Facebook on the Note 4. Since when was an optional social media app a core element of a phone? It's ridiculous. I agree with you, there's a certain negative energy that surrounds Facebook. To me, Facebook is where humanity's stupidity is fully on display. I'm glad I don't have it on my phone.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
True. But even if not disabled... it shouldn't be an issue if it's not configured to your FB account.
ah, if it were truly so ;)
Try out a firewall and see the number of connections that your phone makes to facebook (when the app is enabled, but not configured). Hint - a lot!

vaughaag

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
A guy I work with who also has a 6 has disabled his encryption and we noticed something interesting yesterday. We both have GSam Monitor installed. Generally the top two drainers on my phone are Android System and Kernel, Marks are way way down the list. I am now considering disabling the encryption myself and seeing if this improves things or makes any difference for me at all.

The other thing I have noticed is that one of the offices I work out of has very poor signal (no wifi available), GSam shows this and the signal drop coincides with a trough in the battery graph.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
A guy I work with who also has a 6 has disabled his encryption and we noticed something interesting yesterday. We both have GSam Monitor installed. Generally the top two drainers on my phone are Android System and Kernel, Marks are way way down the list. I am now considering disabling the encryption myself and seeing if this improves things or makes any difference for me at all.

As long as you're willing to void warranty by rooting your device as I'm sure your coworker has done. Then again, if you're familiar with rooting, you could probably un-root as well. Having owned a BlackBerry Torch in the past, I realize that I'm familiar with having an encrypted device. As much as rooting intrigues me, however, it also scares me.

vaughaag

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I have already unlocked and rooted the phone, it was one of the first things I did. It can be locked and unrooted using the nexus root tool or relocked in SuoerSU from what I remember.

Posted via the Android Central App on Nexus 6

NYRico#AC

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I was having okay battery life, but, today things were a little different. I actually uninstalled Facebook yesterday after reading this thread figuring that I don't use it and more battery life is always a good thing. For the past week or so I take her off charge around 6 a.m. go through my normal day: games, instagram, text , phone calls, check email, bluetooth music in the car and through BT headset at the gym etc, about 2 hours screen on time in my normal day. I usually set it down to charge at 11 p.m. any where from 40 to 55% battery left. Today my Nexus went in to battery saver mode at around 9:30p.m., I have it set to come on at 15%. I did nothing different than usual and I had already gotten rid of FB and expected to do a little better. Looked in my battery stats and and Chrome and Google services are the number 1 and 2 battery users at 11 and 10 % respectively, Screen is always my number one and I have never seen Google services on the stats screen. The only thing that I downloaded recently is Amazon App store and thought that maybe this is what kicked off Google services. Any thoughts?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, not just Facebook, but Chrome, as well as gaming and watching videos will eat through the battery faster. Basically keeping the screen on for prolonged periods of time will cause it to drain. Set the brightness as low as you can handle it and turn adaptive brightness off. Also, if you don't need them, in Developer Options, turn off the animations. Report back if there's an improvement.

NYRico#AC

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Haven't been using adaptive brightness and have kept the brightness at ~ 25%, which is still surprisingly bright. The funny thing and the reason I wrote is because yesterday the battery drain was unusual while my usage was normal for me. Like I said I have been having pretty good battery usage ,I look at my battery stats daily and they always look about the same , but, yesterday after downloading Amazon app store the drainage was much quicker and Google services seemed to be using more juice. I have read that installing new apps can affect your battery life and I was wondering if there was a clash between Amazon and Google services that caused a drain. thanks for the advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz