nexus 6 back cover unstuck

marty2015

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
4th replacement here, two days old, no problems aside from I'm seeing this. The back looks fairly flush, but after close inspection there is some play when applying pressure to the back edge just by the power button/volume rocker. Does this mean its coming loose/battery expanding, or is this just a design flaw in the Nexus 6 and it won't necessarily come off/get worse?

Should I just wait and see or should I return it? I'm getting sick of this phones now due to all its problems.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
If anyone is looking to get their replacement directly from Motorola, be aware the unlocked models are on backorder. They offered me an AT&T branded unit, but I turned it down.

Looks like I will be waiting a bit. At least my device does not look near as bad as some of them I have seen posted here.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Still no 64GB unlock. Mine is not bad. I have the Unicorn Beetle case so I'll monitor if it gets worse. CS gave the option of returning it for replacement or use the device since there is a one year warranty. Before the warranty expire, call and have it replaced and hopefully Motorola will have a solution by then

Last edited:

nothinbutnexus

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Still no 64GB unlock. Mine is not bad. I have the Unicorn Beetle case so I'll monitor if it gets worse. CS gave the option of returning it for replacement or use the device since there is a one year warranty. Before the warranty expire, call and have it replaced and hopefully Motorola will have a solution by then

That's pretty much what mine looks like.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That's pretty much what mine looks like too! With the wider middle and narrower ends I thought that it was normal whenever I looked at it in the past. I'm wondering if there really is a problem. Nothing happens when I press on it. Everything feels solid and well built.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
based on this teardown review, there's no latch or clips that secure the back cover to the frame so its all being held by the glue. I'm still monitoring by taking it out of the case if it gets any worse. Maybe Motorola needs to recall this product. I think the back cover was slapped in there as an after thought. It's coming unglued by the volume rocker cause there's no solid place to put in more glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaTkQ0JPyS8

Last edited:

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
based on this teardown review, there's no latch or clips that secure the back cover to the frame so its all being held by the glue. I'm still monitoring by taking it out of the case if it gets any worse. Maybe Motorola needs to recall this product. I think the back cover was slapped in there as an after thought. It's coming unglued by the volume rocker cause there's no solid place to put in more glue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaTkQ0JPyS8

The video was very informative -- I didn't know that the back cover is attached by something more like two-sided tape than glue. Also -- importantly -- you can buy a new back cover for only $13 (two-sided tape included).

My only criticism of the method in the video is that the surface of the phone's frame should probably be cleaned a little better than his method (he just rubbed his finger on the plastic frame). I would clean the frame with a Q-tip and a cleaning agent that doesn't leave a residue.

While I still don't like this design (I'd prefer something more mechanical like clips or screws), the video makes me more comfortable that the problem is manageable.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The video makes it seem that the problem isn't the battery swelling that it is just the adhesive not being strong enough to keep the back plate closed.

gobind singh sangha

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
hi,i bought my nexus 6 online and it was delivered on the2nd and i found i had the same problem of the back cover being peeled off at some points so i complained to the online shipping company who complained to the motorola company(maybe) and now my replacement is coming on the 7th. this we all know is or has started happening with a lot of people and i have been trying for the past two hours surfing on the net to find solutions to this problem instead of replacement deals. and this is the fourth time I'm writing this in a different site so pls just tell me if any genius out there has the answer . we will all be thankful. i was an iPhone user .i can't believe i transformed from an iPhone 4s to a nexus 6 and have to suffer for a whole week .
no pressure.:eek:

deftdrummer

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Brand new N6 purchased at T-Mobile brick and mortar 2/3/15. The sales agent took it out of the box and as I looked over the phone I discovered this defect. Unfortunately this N6 was the last they have in stock so I'm waiting for a replacement to get there.

It is now my loaner phone until the new one comes. Something to note in all this is that historically metal on plastic or urethane type materials are notoriously difficult to adhere to one another due to changing temperatures and the marked difference between densities even with harder plastic. It is still a design failure none the less.

I'm very disappointed considering I specifically abandoned the Nexus 5 due to what I thought was LG's poor build quality. I thought spending $650 for Nexus 6 was justified for a phone that would last a long time. Guess I was wrong.

I agree with people that the teardown reveals that the glue is quite weak. That is such a glaring oversight on behalf of Motorola. Public perception is everything and Motorola finds a way to ruin it on account of $.12 dabs of glue? 1423185967729.1.jpg

Last edited:

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Brand new N6 purchased at T-Mobile brick and mortar 2/3/15. The sales agent took it out of the box and as I looked over the phone I discovered this defect. Unfortunately this N6 was the last they have in stock so I'm waiting for a replacement to get there.

It is now my loaner phone until the new one comes. Something to note in all this is that historically metal on plastic or urethane type materials are notoriously difficult to adhere to one another due to changing temperatures and the marked difference between densities even with harder plastic. It is still a design failure none the less.

I'm very disappointed considering I specifically abandoned the Nexus 5 due to what I thought was LG's poor build quality. I thought spending $650 for Nexus 6 was justified for a phone that would last a long time. Guess I was wrong.

I agree with people that the teardown reveals that the glue is quite weak. That is such a glaring oversight on behalf of Motorola. Public perception is everything and Motorola finds a way to ruin it on account of $.12 dabs of glue? View attachment 162085

I agree that it's a design failure and I don't think there's a simple way (like stronger glue) to make the cover stay put as if it had been designed properly. That said, I'm leaning toward getting one in spite of this.

sdc1

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This issue isn't a deal breaker for me. It's a fairly inexpensive fix if the worst does happen.

Posted via the Android Central App

cfc92

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi There, me again.

My first nexus 6 with this issue was replaced by amazon, unfortunately I ended up with the same problem on the new one, after 3 weeks of use. There is definitely a production issue on this device, I'm so disappointed. I send it back once again, but this time for a full refunding. I will wait until Moto fix this thing before considering giving so much money for this device.

The thing is, if you want a full android experience on 6 inches smartphone, there is no alternative on the market at the moment.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had to exchange my first Nexus 6 because of the Half Screen freeze. I got a 2nd sent to me by Motorola on January 3rd and it's been in a case since then. I took off the case to clean out dust and lint and sure enough mine is beginning to raise right by the power and volume buttons. Mine looks exactly like what Sweet Pikake and Trader Gary have shown and described. It definitely wasn't to the point where I could see the innards of the phone, but enough that there is some play and right after I push it down it comes back up a few seconds later. I called Motorola and explained this to them and they suggested they send me a brand new phone, no questions asked or proof by picture or anything. I was kind of surprised. I asked if I would be getting a more recent build that had these problems fixed and they couldn't confirm that, but they almost pushed the issue that I have it replaced because I was on the fence about it. I hope this one arrives and that there are no issues, but I will report back either way. The fact that they pushed the replacement almost makes me think that they want to take care of all of the problem devices. Build dates on my first two were 12/6 and 12/13. Has anyone received one with a more recent build date with no issues? Thanks in advance.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Gary, If you decide to give CS a call and explain to them what you just posted here, I would be interested to see if they push the replacement to you as well. They definitely said it shouldn't be happening at all, to not push down on it, to not peel it up any more than it already is, and to not try and fix yourself. Of course they are going to say the latter. Please post your experience if you do. Cheers!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz