* CM's Privacy Guard
* Increasing ringtone option
* Statusbar clock customization
* Option to disable searchbar in recents
* Statusbar brightness control
* Double tap to wake
* Double tap statusbar to sleep control
* Custom Lockscreen shortcuts
* Timeout and instant lock options added to slide unlock instead of just secure keyguard options
* Navigation bar height control
Why not do it? It's easy and safe (if you follow instructions)this is some of the features from the "Liquid Smooth Rom

Last edited:

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like a changelog for a custom ROM.
.. Yes, I stated liquid Smooth. I know how they get about credit. It was too much to try and remember. It just made my phone that much better. So I was curious "why not root?" I realized that for me "The Stock Google experience" is so limited.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
This sounds like a changelog for a custom ROM.

Reading all of that jargon, I thought the same. Shameless promotion, perhaps? Lol. Problem is, if you're not a techie or a developer, a good portion of that will fly over your head. Owning a phone shouldn't be that much work. Of course, smart phones aren't just phones, but yeah. The only thing that interested me in that whole thing was the de-encryption, which I've seen people say offers only a negligible amount of "lag".

Posted via the Android Central App

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Reading all of that jargon, I thought the same. Shameless promotion, perhaps? Lol. Problem is, if you're not a techie or a developer, a good portion of that will fly over your head. Owning a phone shouldn't be that much work. Of course, smart phones aren't just phones, but yeah. The only thing that interested me in that whole thing was the de-encryption, which I've seen people say offers only a negligible amount of "lag".

I see your point. I've removed some of the more" Technical features " from the op. I've read so many threads about how to change this or remove that, when rooting allows for all of that. Looks/sounds complicated? Yes, but very simple. It's not promotional.. Just What's offered in most custom roms(this just happens to be the one I'm using) and most are flawless and offer many options. I'm still encrypted.. I see no point in turning it off for me.

Last edited:

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I see your point. I've removed some of the more" Technical features " from the op. I've read so many threads about how to change this or remove that, when rooting allows for all of that. Looks/sounds complicated? Yes, but very simple. It's not promotional.. Just What's offered in most custom roms(this just happens to be the one I'm using) and most are flawless and offer many options. I'm still encrypted.. I see no point in turning it off for me.

I've thought about rooting my current S3, as I have the necessary files and drivers saved to a dedicated folder on my laptop. Although the phone's warranty is obviously not an issue at this point, the thought of doing that on the Nexus is a scary thought to me. I know it can be unrooted, of course, but then there's the issue of bricking the phone. I don't know if I'd be willing to risk it once I make such a hefty purchase.

That being said, de-encryption, double-tap to wake, and enabling the LED light would be some of the things I would do.

Last edited:

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, one of the reasons why I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing the N6 is because I'm so impressed by Motorola's take on Android, as well as the features that come with their phones, that I guess I'm waiting to see what their supposed Nexus-like phablet will offer (I'm hoping it's not Verizon-exclusive) as well as a Moto X 2015 edition (or whatever they decide to call it). I really think Motorola has done it right, by striking the perfect balance of hardware and software.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I started rooting with my Evo(original) for the free WiFi tethering and it grew from there. I was expecting not to root my nexus til I realized that it didn't have double tap to wake(i had a G2 before this) and some other features I had become accustomed to. Like the blacklist, notification led, free WiFi tether. The nexus was easiest to root(I always read, read and read some more.) there are so many people that are willing to help encase of mistakes..
So do you think "fear of bricking" is what keeps most from doing it?

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, one of the reasons why I haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing the N6 is because I'm so impressed by Motorola's take on Android, as well as the features that come with their phones, that I guess I'm waiting to see what their supposed Nexus-like phablet will offer (I'm hoping it's not Verizon-exclusive) as well as a Moto X 2015 edition (or whatever they decide to call it). I really think Motorola has done it right, by striking the perfect balance of hardware and software.

That Nexus like phablet is going to be a long wait though. If that is what the rumor is. But I do agree, I love moto's take on android. Which is why I can go with either a moto series phone or Nexus. I chose the Nexus because I love the big screen.

skuni

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have never tried for fear of bricking. I can do a lot to fix a pc, but my lack knowledge of the code for android scares me a good bit. I also don't want void a warranty.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I started rooting with my Evo(original) for the free WiFi tethering and it grew from there. I was expecting not to root my nexus til I realized that it didn't have double tap to wake(i had a G2 before this) and some other features I had become accustomed to. Like the blacklist, notification led, free WiFi tether. The nexus was easiest to root(I always read, read and read some more.) there are so many people that are willing to help encase of mistakes..
So do you think "fear of bricking" is what keeps most from doing it?

Definitely. I know there are a lot of people willing to help, and I do my due diligence to read up on as much as possible, be it reviews (with a grain of salt), opinions and feedback. I know that I'd take my time and not rush through the process, but I guess I'm just chicken, lol.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
That Nexus like phablet is going to be a long wait though. If that is what the rumor is. But I do agree, I love moto's take on android. Which is why I can go with either a moto series phone or Nexus. I chose the Nexus because I love the big screen.

My plan was (is) to get the phone in May, as a birthday gift to myself (lol). I know the new crop of devices will start churning out in March, so I figured why not?

Although I try not to be lured by the latest and greatest spec-wise, and want to go stock after dealing with (to me) mostly gimmicks in TouchWiz, Moto has just really impressed me with their close-to-stock experience, with actually useful features. That being said, the Nexus 6 is still first on my list with Moto as 1A, followed by LG ( still less in-your-face than TouchWiz. If Sony did away with their (too fragile, IMHO) all- glass construction, they'd be an option too, because of the good battery life I've seen mentioned.

Commodus

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I can think of a few reasons not to root.

Time and hassles are the big things. Yes, it doesn't take that much time to sideload a ROM, but I don't think a lot of people care to fire up ADB (or whatever else they may use) to get features that they may or may not need. And if you do root, you at least have to remember to "unroot" when you want official support, and you'll have to accept that software updates may take much longer. Me? I'd rather use my phone than worry about getting everything juuuust so.

Also, there's the very nature of rooting that could make people nervous. By definition, rooting exploits security holes and overrides safeguards. Yes, you're not leaving yourself completely wide open (custom ROMs can close things up), but there's a good reason why you don't get root access by default.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I can think of a few reasons not to root.

Time and hassles are the big things. Yes, it doesn't take that much time to sideload a ROM, but I don't think a lot of people care to fire up ADB (or whatever else they may use) to get features that they may or may not need. And if you do root, you at least have to remember to "unroot" when you want official support, and you'll have to accept that software updates may take much longer. Me? I'd rather use my phone than worry about getting everything juuuust so.

Also, there's the very nature of rooting that could make people nervous. By definition, rooting exploits security holes and overrides safeguards. Yes, you're not leaving yourself completely wide open (custom ROMs can close things up), but there's a good reason why you don't get root access by default.

Yes, thank you. I couldn't have said it better.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My plan was (is) to get the phone in May, as a birthday gift to myself (lol). I know the new crop of devices will start churning out in March, so I figured why not?

Although I try not to be lured by the latest and greatest spec-wise, and want to go stock after dealing with (to me) mostly gimmicks in TouchWiz, Moto has just really impressed me with their close-to-stock experience, with actually useful features. That being said, the Nexus 6 is still first on my list with Moto as 1A, followed by LG ( still less in-your-face than TouchWiz. If Sony did away with their (too fragile, IMHO) all- glass construction, they'd be an option too, because of the good battery life I've seen mentioned.

Oh ok. There will be a lot of devices to choose from by that time. Me, personally I'm looking forward to see what project ara brings.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I see that there are quite a few misconceptions about "rooting and the rooting process". Reading about the rooting process actually took longer than the process itself. I'm not going to try and convince anyone, just curious about why not. it literally took 5 minutes to root. After rooting I wanted to learn more about ADB and started learning more.

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Spent a couple of hours trying to get add to run on my imac. Downloaded latest Java etc. Would not run. Said screw it, not willing to invest any more time in something with questionable gains. Like it as a phone as it is. Flame on kids.

Kwdan

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
No flame from me.. I stopped after the first try on my "og evo",but finally got it. I've rooted every phone since. I had one phone I had to take to sprint for display reasons.. They never checked for root, just swapped it out. I know it's not for everyone

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
When you root you lose ability to take an ota so in most cases you are making a commitment to frequent forums like this in order to manually maintain your device.

Also, a nexus is essentially unbrickable and getting to stock is very easy- so I would not let warranty, brick and other issues like this dissuade someone motivated from doing it. If you are using a non nexus device this is usually not the case and these issues do need to be considered.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2