Should I send my replacement phone back?

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Warranty replacement came, New in Box.....

My ambient display refused to work despite numerous resets/one by one app loading etc. (I've posted on this a couple of times). My phone was only a week old when Moto agreed to replace it. Of course, there was the worry I'd have my new phone replaced by a refurb, blah-blah.

Good news is that the replacement is a brand new phone in a sealed box.

That's the good news. The bad news? Ambient display still refuses to work. Even when I set up the device as new with none of my apps loading. 2 phones, same thing. I guess I'll have to live without it.

Unless someone has a bright idea.....

Kenrw8

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Warranty replacement came, New in Box.....

Try Velis auto brightness I use in preference to stock as it has better presets and you can customise. Also does not require root. If that does not work there are auto brightness apps that use the front facing camera ( it would be slower)

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

My ambient display refused to work despite numerous resets/one by one app loading etc. (I've posted on this a couple of times). My phone was only a week old when Moto agreed to replace it. Of course, there was the worry I'd have my new phone replaced by a refurb, blah-blah.

Good news is that the replacement is a brand new phone in a sealed box.

That's the good news. The bad news? Ambient display still refuses to work. Even when I set up the device as new with none of my apps loading. 2 phones, same thing. I guess I'll have to live without it.

Unless someone has a bright idea.....

Are you by chance using a screen protector that goes over the sensor? If so, that could be causing the issue.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Are you by chance using a screen protector that goes over the sensor? If so, that could be causing the issue.

Heh... I was going to ask. Was the packing protector removed? Seems to me that the likelihood of two defective units is pretty remote. The proximity sensor typically doesn't have any issues... unless it is covered.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

I took off the screen protector when the phone arrived. The joke on me was that when I first looked at the phone I had an Oh sh-t moment because the screen appeared to have a deep scratch. It was a big relief when I scratched at it to see how deep it was, and realized the scratch was in the screen protector:confused:

Anyway, I'm going to contact Moto. Tech doesn't know there is a software issue with Ambient they need to be aware of:

I don't use a lock screen. I know, I know....But with being able to lock or erase the phone via Android Device Mgr I can take care of it should I lose the phone.

And if you do that, Ambient shuts itself off.

After dealing with this for 3 weeks, this solution occurred to me in the middle of the night when my bladder woke me up. Nothing like the clarity of thinking one gets while only half conscious.

My guess is that the original phone might not be defective, though I have it packaged to ship and can't check. I recall confirming the feature worked after a reset/before app install, but that it failed shortly thereafter. What I'm not sure of is whether I had removed the lock screen BEFORE, or AFTER I installed all my apps and settings.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Ambient display doesn't do much of anything without a lock screen. Recommend just setting it on swipe and/or using a pattern or pin and trusted locations and devices.

XT1096NiT Fury. AndroidCentral Moderator

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site

Yeah. That's what the tech guys should have been able to tell me. They are the ones that worked through it with me and authorized the replacement.......

And you are right about the swipe unlock. It's easier than hunting around for the power key, and now that it's working I like ambient a lot. Especially when it lights up with a notification given that the phone doesn't have an active LED.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo