Battery - average or below

marty2015

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
My Nexus 6 came off charge at 100% at 3.30pm. It's now 9.05pm. Adaptive Brightness is off, and the brightness level is about 50%. I've used YouTube, Chrome, played some music through the built in speakers, played Temple run for about 20mins and have Facebook installed and logged in, but I've not used it today.

I'm on 25% remaining with 3hr 15mins screen on time. So it's gone down 75% in 5.5hrs.

Does this sound average for the Nexus 6 or below average?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you've conditioned the battery, it's a little less than normal. If you haven't, it's pretty good.

(Fully charge with the phon off. Use the phone until it tells you to charge it. Repeat twice, so 3 full cycles.)

After conditioning the battery, never let it get below 40% charge. (Especially with a phone you can't just pop a new battery into.) The sweet spot for maximum battery life is recharging at 50%. The sweet spot for longest time between charges, of course, is to charge when the phone shuts off because of low battery - but you probably won't get 6 months out of the battery if you do that.

Also, even after conditioning, the battery will take a few more charge cycles before it's giving you maximum performance. (It would be nice if they could invent light lead - a lead/gel battery is much better suited to cellphone use - if you don't mind lugging 5 pounds of battery in your pocket. You can deep discharge it every cycle and it should last about 10 years. Just get a small motorcycle battery and a car charger. :))

marty2015

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi thanks for the fast reply.

No I haven't conditioned it, I've charged it up 4 times in about 4 days since owning it, from the red.

So it doesn't appear that my battery is faulty?

And you say about charging from 50%... I didn't think that was necessary due to the Nexus 6's Turbo Charge?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi thanks for the fast reply.

No I haven't conditioned it, I've charged it up 4 times in about 4 days since owning it, from the red.

So it doesn't appear that my battery is faulty?

And you say about charging from 50%... I didn't think that was necessary due to the Nexus 6's Turbo Charge?

As I've learned from reading articles and posts on here, it's never good to let your battery drain so far that it's in the red; it only deteriorates the battery. Always charge it once you hit 40%-50%. Only very sparingly should the battery be in the red and allowed to drain completely, if at all.

The turbo charger works best when you need a quick boost of juice and you plan on unplugging it. Also, just FYI, Facebook is a major battery hog, especially when left signed in and syncing. I don't have Facebook on my S3 (I think it's useless), and I have sync turned off.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

XavierMatt

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I take my phone off at 6:00am - and won't need a charge until the next day maybe at 9pm with light to medium usage. With heavy usage I get a full 24 hours.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 6 came off charge at 100% at 3.30pm. It's now 9.05pm. Adaptive Brightness is off, and the brightness level is about 50%. I've used YouTube, Chrome, played some music through the built in speakers, played Temple run for about 20mins and have Facebook installed and logged in, but I've not used it today.

I'm on 25% remaining with 3hr 15mins screen on time. So it's gone down 75% in 5.5hrs.

Does this sound average for the Nexus 6 or below average?

Battery drain is mostly about screen on time, and 25% after 3.25 hours of SOT, especially after some gaming, isn't all that unusual.

marty2015

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

Okay, so went to bed, phone was at 79% battery. This morning it was about 74% or so. Been on Chrome checking stuff, it's dropped to about 65% in half an hour. Screen brightness is around 30%. WiFi on, half cellular signal. I'm not doing anything intensive. My SoT so far is 1hr 40mins. Standby time is 12hrs.

So tl;dr - dropped 5% over 12hrs on standby, then 9% in half an hour with the screen on at 30% brightness using mainly Chrome.

I guess am just a little concerned in case I have a defective battery or something. I've alrady had one replacement already due to the camera arriving damaged.

What do you guys think?

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys.

Okay, so went to bed, phone was at 79% battery. This morning it was about 74% or so. Been on Chrome checking stuff, it's dropped to about 65% in half an hour. Screen brightness is around 30%. WiFi on, half cellular signal. I'm not doing anything intensive. My SoT so far is 1hr 40mins. Standby time is 12hrs.

So tl;dr - dropped 5% over 12hrs on standby, then 9% in half an hour with the screen on at 30% brightness using mainly Chrome.

I guess am just a little concerned in case I have a defective battery or something. I've alrady had one replacement already due to the camera arriving damaged.

What do you guys think?

A 5% drop in battery while on standby is actually not bad at all. Based on the apps that you've mentioned you're using, they all drain battery - and fast. Watching YouTube or any other video content certainly drains battery, as well as using Chrome for a period of time, and gaming, because you're keeping the screen on for prolonged periods of time.

So IMHO, based on your usage pattern, your battery is draining normally. If you still feel uneasy, monitor the apps you've installed; see how often you use them and how the battery behaves, and make adjustments accordingly. Disable or turn off apps you don't use for certain, and uninstall apps you use less frequently. You can always reinstall them when needed.

marty2015

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Okay cool thanks. I mean I'm on 3hrs 40mins screen time, 25% battery left and 14hrs off the charger. So I guess I'll keep monitoring it. Thanks!

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Call me jealous, but just to underscore the difference between Android (which always has things running in the background) and iPhone battery life, this is a screenshot that my friend sent me a few minutes ago of the battery usage stats on her 6+. She makes use of the apps on her phone, including ones for fitness, etc. This is insane!

Attachments

• 13491.jpg
    13491.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 68

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
From my reading the iPhone does not do real multitasking and only does app switching to the current active app. Unlike Android where many apps can be working in the background, when the iPhone is not doing anything, it really is not doing anything.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
From my reading the iPhone does not do real multitasking and only does app switching to the current active app. Unlike Android where many apps can be working in the background, when the iPhone is not doing anything, it really is not doing anything.

There's a difference between multitasking and having apps and processes run in the background that use up battery. Multitasking entails using apps in the foreground that you can easily switch between for the time that you wish to use them, then close once you're done with them.

So yes, while the iPhone doesn't do "true multitasking", it does operate efficiently, and without the amount of maintenance required on the part of the user to operate Android with efficiency.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your system needs. For me true multitasking is an absolute necessity as I do real-time short term stock trading. For you simple task switching may be all you'll need.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
It depends on your system needs. For me true multitasking is an absolute necessity as I do real-time short term stock trading. For you simple task switching may be all you'll need.

And that's absolutely fine. My whole point was that multitasking is different than having apps running in the background that drain battery. Multitasking apps can be closed; however, on Android even when closed, they still run in the background. Running background apps and processes must manually be stopped, disabled or turned off to truly save battery, assuming the user is allowed to do so. On iPhone, closed apps are truly closed, thus saving battery life, and lending to outstanding screen on and standby time.

That being said, I'm fully immersed into the Android ecosystem and have obviously signed on to play maintenance woman to my device. I do, though, marvel at and admire how iPhones just "work".

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Multitasking is having two or more apps actively running at the same time. Task switching is running only one active app at a time and switching between them. I need a real multitasking operating system.

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
First full day with my N6. 8 am to 530 pm on Wi-Fi all day. 45 min screen time 33% left. Hopefully this gets better. Should be 70% range.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
After coming from the S4 I love the battery life on the Nexus 6, love that turbo charger too....no complaints here , on WiFi mostly but a heavy user

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
played Temple run for about 20mins and have Facebook installed and logged in, but I've not used it today.

Gaming pushes your cpu, which along with the screen being on will drain your battery faster than nearly any other application. As to Facebook, if it's installed and you're logged in, it can still be using a lot of data in the background, one reason why it's been rated the single worst app to have on your phone in terms of battery cost. Unless you absolutely have to have its push notifications, you might consider simply logging into Facebook from your browser when you need a 'fix.'

9% drop after 30 minutes of screen time - multiply that by 11 and you'd have 100% battery utilization (full to dead). In which you'd have the screen on (assuming the same rate) for 30x11=330 minutes, or 5 1/2 hours. Not bad, imho.

Call me jealous, but just to underscore the difference between Android (which always has things running in the background) and iPhone battery life, this is a screenshot that my friend sent me a few minutes ago of the battery usage stats on her 6+. She makes use of the apps on her phone, including ones for fitness, etc. This is insane!

The single thing I'd love to have most from iPhone is the battery life. We lose a lot of that to gain a much higher resolution display. It is worth noting, though, that 10 1/2 hours of usage by the time the phone dropped to 47% does not mean 10 1/2 hours of screen time.

First full day with my N6. 8 am to 530 pm on Wi-Fi all day. 45 min screen time 33% left. Hopefully this gets better. Should be 70% range.

I know it's unlikely, but were you streaming music a lot of that time? Otherwise, if the screen was only on 45 minutes and you burned through 2/3 of your battery life in under 10 hours, I'd suggest that that is cause for concern. I usually have close to 2 hours of screen time between browsing and navigation, as well as a fair chunk of streaming SiriusXM (gotta get my Stern fix at work) and still am usually closer to 50% by that time. Is the WiFi connection very strong? If it's a weak signal, the phone will expend more energy maintaining data traffic across the connection.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995