Nexus 6 tiny defect

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I got my white 64 gig nexus 6 I paid $747.24 for the phone. To me that's a lot of money. I haven't fully used the phone yet. I haven't activated it yet, because I'm waiting for a screen protector, that's on its way. So I play with the phone a few mins and it goes back in its box.

Upon examining the phone, I noticed a very small defect in the metal trim around the phone. Now that I noticed I can't stop looking at it. Spending so much money on it I kinda want it to be as perfect as it can be. Do you think Motorola would replace it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-06-01-06-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-06-01-06-20.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 168

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Would they replace? Probably yes, but are you willing to deal with the hassle of returning it and waiting for another one for who knows how long?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'm trying to decide myself. I wish I hadn't noticed.

It sucks that you did in that after a week or two you'd have deemed it just 'wear and tear' and not felt as bad about it, but it's good in that you can make your decision. They certainly should replace it - you might see if they can arrange an 'advance replacement' (with a new unit, not refurb) with your suffering only a temporary credit card authorization hold so you don't have to do without.

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
If it were me I'd just put this is the don't-sweat-the-small-stuff category. I agree that they should replace it but -- remembering that these devices are in short supply - how long will you have to wait?

Will a case cover this little nick?

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
The case I have might cover it, but I sadly know it's still there.

I called Motorola, they will accept a return and give me a full refund or send me a refurbished phone. Those are my two options. If I return it, I have to be lucky again and try and rebuy it on Motos site or Google play. I refuse to get a refurb when I'm in the 14 day return period. So not sure what to do.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The case I have might cover it, but I sadly know it's still there.

I called Motorola, they will accept a return and give me a full refund or send me a refurbished phone. Those are my two options. If I return it, I have to be lucky again and try and rebuy it on Motos site or Google play. I refuse to get a refurb when I'm in the 14 day return period. So not sure what to do.

Can you post a picture of the defect so we can see how bad it is and give some opinions/advise?

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Can you post a picture of the defect so we can see how bad it is and give some opinions/advise?

I did post a picture. It shows up in the Android central app. Does it not show up for you?

Attachments

• IMG_20150105_232750.jpg
    IMG_20150105_232750.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_2015-01-06-01-06-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-06-01-06-20.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 92

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm the same way. Knowing it was under the case would drive me nuts. I'd do the advance replacement option if you can and just replace the damned thing. No reason to have a brand new phone with a problem ( no matter how small). Good luck!

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I did post a picture. It shows up in the Android central app. Does it not show up for you?

I'm sorry I am using the mobile version of the website and it just says attached thumbnails (which I didn't even notice) and I can't click on it. I'll check it out on the full site.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Eventually that feeling passes though. I know because I am the same way. At times it almost/does border on OCD.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
OP, I'm with you. It would drive me nuts. And in fact, did drive me nuts on a blue model that I ordered from Google Play. 1st one had a scuff like yours, so they did an advance exchange. 2nd one had some weird greasy like stains on the back, did another exchange, and only got the same result on the 3rd one (and it also had another scuff on the aluminum). Tried one more time, and got one with the same greasy like stains, but this time not as bad. So I kept it and sold it to a friend who didn't care about them. I decided my peace of mind was worth it to just wait out another stock of them, and ordered from Motorola when they became available after Christmas. I would just return it and wait for another stock. Sure, you may not have the phone for awhile, but for the amount of money we spend on these, they shouldn't come to us in used condition. And I would ALWAYS know it was there under the case. If I cause the damage, that's one thing, but when it comes to me like that, my OCD kicks in.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That would drive me nuts and I'd not be able to live with it on any device let alone a brand new device that cost $747. Nope, I'd be returning it. You've lived all your life without this phone so a I think you can live a little longer to get one in appropriate condition (spelled flawless new).

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for a screen protector, that's on its way. So I play with the phone a few mins and it goes back in its box.

Upon examining the phone, I noticed a very small defect in the metal trim around the phone.
First: It's your wife's phone. Ask her if she cares. If not, you should let it go.

Second: Has it been in a case at all times? If you are being so compulsive about the screen saver, I expect that's the case. But if it "goes back in its box" that means your are putting on/taking off a case every time you play with it, and it is uncovered even if only for a few moments. Some cases have been known to scratch the phone

Either way, Moto would be well within its rights to reject your request because that could be considered "normal wear". I say kudos to them for authorizing a replacement. And more importantly, you'll never see that ding once it's covered.

Third: OCD? I was bothered by a thermostat mounted on my wall because it was tilted. When I went to prove it to my wife, who thought I might be crazy, the bubble in the level was off-center, but still within the guide marks. I was "right", which convinced her I was crazy. You sound like me. Years later, and thousands in therapy, I say fuggedaboutit. I mean, really, that's tiny. And if the phone works, it'd by just your luck to get a lemon.

Finally, I'll can make you feel better on the refurb issue. My phone was replaced, and came new in the box. Probably was too early in the phone's availability for them to have refurbs to send, though that will change with each passing day.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
First: It's your wife's phone. Ask her if she cares. If not, you should let it go.

Second: Has it been in a case at all times? If you are being so compulsive about the screen saver, I expect that's the case. But if it "goes back in its box" that means your are putting on/taking off a case every time you play with it, and it is uncovered even if only for a few moments. Some cases have been known to scratch the phone

Either way, Moto would be well within its rights to reject your request because that could be considered "normal wear". I say kudos to them for authorizing a replacement. And more importantly, you'll never see that ding once it's covered.

Third: OCD? I was bothered by a thermostat mounted on my wall because it was tilted. When I went to prove it to my wife, who thought I might be crazy, the bubble in the level was off-center, but still within the guide marks. I was "right", which convinced her I was crazy. You sound like me. Years later, and thousands in therapy, I say fuggedaboutit. I mean, really, that's tiny. And if the phone works, it'd by just your luck to get a lemon.

Finally, I'll can make you feel better on the refurb issue. My phone was replaced, and came new in the box. Probably was too early in the phone's availability for them to have refurbs to send, though that will change with each passing day.

My wife's phone? I don't have a wife. I didn't put it in a case at first. I mean I pulled it out of its box, and turn it on and play with it and hold it to just test it.Then I put it back in its box. So the phone hadn't been in my pocket or carried around or anything. That defect is from the factory.

So after three days of them not sending my return label, I got my screen protector. I decided to put it on, and put my case on the phone, and activate and use the phone for a few days.

After using it and coming from a Nexus 5, I found it hard to use. No one handed use of this phone. I even had trouble talking on it and holding it against my ear with my shoulder. The phone is just to wide, if it was a little thinner it would be easier to hold. Battery life seems good for me. The speakers are great. Just pulling it out for quick text and other things feels cumbersome.

So I called Motorola back and the lady send me my label while on the phone with her. I'm shipping it back Monday. I'm going to use the phone over the weekend, to see if I change my mind.

Posted via the Android Central App

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
My wife's phone? I don't have a wife.

Hey I'm crazy and dylexic. White, wife, what's the difference really?????

If you still have the Nexus 5, get used to using the 6 and then compare them. I'd suggest leaving the 5 alone for the day, and see what you think tomorrow. I used the Droid Turbo for a few days and got the N6 so I could decide which to keep. After only an hour or so on the 6, it not only felt fairly normal, but it made the Turbo seem near unusably dinky.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance