Coming from an iPhone 6+

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I am seriously considering making the Nexus 6 my next daily driver. I have only owned one Nexus device in the past and it was the Nexus S so not really a comparison. I ordered the Nexus 5 last year when the red one came out but returned it before I even opened it because I got anxious about the switch. See, I use all of Apple's services. I have an iPad and MacBook Air so iCloud and iTunes are my go-to's for everything just about. I am deeply invested in the ecosystem and used iMessage, FaceTime and ApplePay a good deal with iMessage being all I use for messaging. My wife doesn't get very good service at work so texting is almost out of the question but I do not want her to have to download a third party app just to talk to me. I have a 3 month old baby so camera performance is a must and being able to share files needs to be easy. I send my wife videos of our daughter and they get to her quickly and at full resolution. I have owned Android phones in the past but they are always skinned (LG G3, GS5, Note 2, HTC One M7) so I am not sure what, if anything, is different for the above concerns. I want to make the switch but I want it to be easy. Can someone tell me if there are good ways around sending videos and pictures and the whole texting as a whole. If a Nexus becomes available on Google Play I will pull the trigger and then weigh my options when it gets here but I just don't want to go past the point of no return. I have weighed my pros and cons for this device but have not had the chance to play with stock Android or anything with 5.0 in general. I use YouTube a lot and have a GMail account, I love to listen to music on my phone so that needs to be easy to do and to get onto the phone from a Mac, and I love gaming and iOS seems to get everything a little before Android if Android even gets it. Now that you know a little about what I want, hopefully someone can help.

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
WhatsApp WhatsApp WhatsApp lol. Send pictures, videos (16mb is max I believe but it allows you to cut a video so you can send it in multiple pieces). The camera is great. I mean really great. I am an amateur photographer and this is one of the best camera phones out there in my honest opinion. I say pull the plug (Go Motorola if you want, they have in stock and Moto credit) and just see what its like. Yes it will be very different from an iPhone. But hey, sometimes different is really really good. :)

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is showing as not in stock for anything right now sadly...I need a 64 GB. I have a 64 GB iPhone and it has about 17 GB remaining. WhatsApp is okay...but it doesn't solve the problem of not wanting to download 3rd party but other than that it is a very good service.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Also, how is the headphone volume? I had the Moto X 2013 for a week and it was terrible. Is it comparable to that or better?

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Bose QC25 so I can't really comment on headphone volume or quality. You should go to NowInStock.net. You can choose which phone you want to be alerted to and it was actually quite reliable for me. It will send you an email as soon as it notices change in stock. Good luck :)

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
In regards to not downloading third party software. Hangouts can send pictures but if you want videos you are going to have to download an app. If its secirty you are worried about, WhatsApp is one of the most secure. I'm not sure if you can send videos through BBM but that could be another option. There will always be pros and con's. I just think here the pros will outweigh the cons

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So far the cons outweigh the pros for me but I am stubborn lol. It isn't a problem to download 3rd party but teaching my wife to use it when she wants to send me stuff or vice versa will be the con with that one. I just wish there was a smoother transition for messaging and I would be all about it. My biggest deal is the whole texting vs. iMessage thing. I understand that WhatsApp or BBM or Hangouts would work, but I was hoping to avoid them. I am a stock guy at heart so I like to use the intended apps for things like messaging, phone calls, and such.

bold1193

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well look, you keep cornering yourself and I can tell you what the perfect device would be: an iPhone 6+. Want to get a little out of your comfort zone and see what it's like on the other side of the rainbow, take the plunge and get a nexus 6 (when it becomes available). You seem to be setting yourself up for failure or just trying to subconsciously trick yourself into thinking that only an iPhone will work for you. Think about it :)

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts is basically stock, and you can send videos it's just not the best quality.

I would just upload the vids to YouTube and link it. But it sounds that would be too cray cray.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Actually uploading the videos to YouTube isn't a bad idea. I was thinking I could just drop them onto my computer and iMessage them from there since Mac lets you do that. I always try to talk myself out of it because once I can't anymore it means I am not just wanting one to want one. I overthink it a good deal though. I go outside my comfort zone and then I'll be like "I miss this part of iOS" or something and then its all downhill. My pros are: Anrdoid is awesome as a platform, most of the apps line up with mine on iOS, the notification system on Android is finally where I wanted it (I like the lockscreen notifications on iOS and now Android has something very similar), material design, wireless charging, Android Wear and Google Now integration, and great customization. Cons: No iMessage (and all that I have stated that comes with that), iTunes is pretty much crap anyway, but all of my stuff is in there, some of the apps Google Play doesn't have I end up wanting, and battery life. My 6+ gets 2 days almost regularly.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I wish you the best with the new Nexus 6 .. I have one and I also have a Iphone 6+..... and in my opinion.. from what you say that you do with the phone.. The Iphone 6+ is the phone for you.... you are invested in the ecosystem.. you family is comfortable with it and you do not appear to be having any major issues with the Iphone... So why switch? Bored? ... That is cool.. I have a bunch of phones and play around with all of them, but the Iphone 6+ is my daily driver.. for all the reasons you already know...

The integration with your ipad and MacBook alone is a reason to stay with IOS... Once you get the Nexus 6 play around with it and you will quickly see that unless you are going "all-in" with Google.... you are better off right where you are... Just my 2 cents

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Actually uploading the videos to YouTube isn't a bad idea. I was thinking I could just drop them onto my computer and iMessage them from there since Mac lets you do that. I always try to talk myself out of it because once I can't anymore it means I am not just wanting one to want one. I overthink it a good deal though. I go outside my comfort zone and then I'll be like "I miss this part of iOS" or something and then its all downhill. My pros are: Anrdoid is awesome as a platform, most of the apps line up with mine on iOS, the notification system on Android is finally where I wanted it (I like the lockscreen notifications on iOS and now Android has something very similar), material design, wireless charging, Android Wear and Google Now integration, and great customization. Cons: No iMessage (and all that I have stated that comes with that), iTunes is pretty much crap anyway, but all of my stuff is in there, some of the apps Google Play doesn't have I end up wanting, and battery life. My 6+ gets 2 days almost regularly.

Why screw around with all this stuff (unless you like too).. when it is already up and running in IOS? and you are comfortable with it

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I do have to add the the Nexus 6 is a great phone... no complaints or problems... I was strictly responding to you directly.... If someone wants to go stock Android the Nexus 6 is a GREAT choice

Last edited:

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Did you score a 64gb?

Also, unmentioned is Doubletwist. It syncs with iTunes. When it first came out it was horrible. Trying it over the past few months, it's proven to be nearly seamless (DRM gets in the way occasionally).

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I scored a 64 but I canceled the order for now. I agree with all of the above comments and think for now I will stay with iOS. That being said I'll probably change my mind again in a day or two and order another one. I'm not sure what to do. iOS is probably best for my family and I though so I should probably stick with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think that's a reasonable choice given your family situation. I personally won't touch Apple's ecosystem apps for a reason (I'm not a zealot, I use a retina Mac Pro laptop for work, and Windows at home, used to use an iPod touch for music, now Android for mobile) simply because of the locking you are running into. When Apple announced their videochat they promised on stage that they would make the standards open so others could use it. Then they decided that they didn't want to let their users switch to other platforms, so now all of their stuff only works in iOS. I don't blame you for using them (and no one should!) but even if I ever used an iPhone as a daily driver I would never, ever use the stock messaging app.

But your mileage clearly varies. Teaching a non-tech person to use new apps when they already know one is not always pleasant. In the end they are all just tools, and you shouldn't feel like you have to switch.

Unless of course you really want to ;) Good luck!

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
My family is all Mac like you (2 Macbook Pros, iPads, wife has iPhone 6) and I sold my 6+ for a nexus 6. My transition has been seamless. You sound like you're talking yourself into keeping an iPhone, but I had no trouble switching and much prefer android. My Mac handles everything else.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
From personal experience, headphone volume isn't great. There's another post here in the forum about it. Some people may suggest using different headphones, but it's just the phone. I personally tried a few before giving up. Sounds like you love iPhones but want to try something new. My advice, don't do it, this phone isn't worth the cash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs