Can this shamed Android enthusiast get some help battling a malfunctioning micro-USB port?

shonangreg

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
shamed android enthusiast battles malfunctioning micro-USB port

I recently advised a friend to get a Nexus 6 instead of an iPhone 6 Plus. I went into the shop with her, and after the phone had been set up, I plugged in my SlimPORT and USB OTG adapters to see if they worked, but immediately I noticed they didn't seat properly. When the micro-USB connector was fully pushed in, it could still click and slip diagonally. I had never seen that before on any micro-USB port, so I tried several more micro-USB cables, and the problem was in the phone. So, I reluctanly advised her to ditch the customizations she had done and get another phone. THEN THE SAME THING HAPPENED! So, she switched to a third phone and it again had the same problem. All three of these were white Nexus 6's. The one black/deep blue Nexus 6 worked fine.

So, my questions:
- Is this going to become a worse and worse problem on her phone? I don't know what's happening inside, but the movement is much greater than the tiny connection lines I can see in the micro-USB connector. It feels like the back of the port is not flat, and the plug moves in that frame as you push.
- Is this problem happening with other phones? We found it with three in a row.

One of the main reasons I advised her to go for thre Nexus 6 was because it was fully unlocked. When her contract finishes in two years, she can have many choices, and the phone will work fine on all of them. The iPhone 6 Plus that comes from the carriers here in Japan, though, is not one of the fully unlocked versions. So, if the USB port is going to fail, then this whole rationale goes out the window. Both phones are crippled in a sense.

After seeing that there is no HDMI out on the Nexus 6, and that USB OTG doesn't work easily, I'm actually thinking I should advise her to return the Nexus 6 and go for an iPhone 6 Plus instead. At least HDMI out works fine on iPhones, and Apple would never let hardware problems like wobbly ports get out of the factory.

Last edited:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: shamed android enthusiast battles malfunctioning micro-USB port

That is really weird.
If anything, I found the micro USB charging port to be very tight at purchase. It has loosened up a bit but there is no problems with any cable I try. I do have the Midnight Blue N6 but I don't think the color would have anything to do with it unless it was a snafu on the production line.
Was there any problems with it charging when using the OE plug?

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.

shonangreg

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

The phone seemed to charge fine on the USB cable in the shop even though the connection could click around.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

I find it very odd that 3 brand new devices had the exact same problem. Is it possible that the store is selling a store-refurbished product?
I have the White N6 (play store) - very firm click on the USB port.

Nexus 6 doesn't have HDMI - true, but you can cast wirelessly to a chromecast (yes, an additional $35 expense, but in my opinion, well worth that to not have to deal with cables.
USB OTG works great with the Nexus 6 - you don't even need to root. Just install a file explorer app (ES Explorer etc) and plug your drive in.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

My slot feels the same but it still charges. No advice sorry.

shonangreg

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll try to get some photos and video of this phone Monday. I'll also check to see if the "tongue" inside the micro-USB port is moving itself. Even if the frame is slightly oversized, it still seems like that part that goes into the little slot on the micro-USB plug would prevent movement.

Regarding HDMI and Chromecast, yes, that seems to be what Google is trying to push everyone into: "Don't buy a SlimPORT HDMI adapter; just buy a Chromecast!" The price is similar, BUT:
- Don't you need a network connection to use Chromecast even for screen mirroring? For SlimPORT to work, you just need the adapter and a cable (and optional, I think, micro-USB power).

vaughaag

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site

Mines a snug fit but slightly off to one side, I'm not worried about it though as my Nexus 7 was the same from day one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith