What's with this useless message pop-up preview?

onlyfro

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Whenever my screen is on and I get a new message through Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp, my phone shows a partial message pop-up at the top of the screen. Tapping it doesn't open the message or the application, it just takes up screen space. What am I doing wrong? How do I disable this?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
re:

That is the new way you are notified. You aren't doing anything wrong, I would guess those apps aren't updated to how Lollipop works.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
re:

I don't use the Facebook app, but with Whatsapp (and with the rest of apps that I've tried) tapping on the notification works for me. You can always dismiss that pop up swiping left or right.

As Golfdriver said this is the new way to show incoming notification with lollipop. With a call phone it's the same thing and you can answer just from that pop up. Does it work for you?

You can change the way that notifications work in settings - sound & notifications. Take a look in "interruptions" and try to find the best settings for you. But it's strange that tapping on a notification doesn't work.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
re:

What a huge step backwards for the way notifications are handled IMO. Those pop ups at the top of the screen are way more intrusive than the old way message previews would just roll into the notification bar, and you can't put them back into the bar to be acted on later. Just have to sit there and wait for then to disappear.

I hope Google does some serious tweaking with this in future versions.

AC App
Nexus 6

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
re:

What a huge step backwards for the way notifications are handled IMO. Those pop ups at the top of the screen are way more intrusive than the old way message previews would just roll into the notification bar, and you can't put them back into the bar to be acted on later. Just have to sit there and wait for then to disappear.

I hope Google does some serious tweaking with this in future versions.

AC App
Nexus 6

I hope your right. I miss the scroll through on the notification shade. These new notifications are a lot more intrusive. You can just swipe them away, but you shouldn't have to do that.

Posted via THE Nexus 6!

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
re:

I had an issue with the heads up notifications that take up space on the top of the screen where touching the notification did nothing. It was a bug that went away after rebooting.

Shamu to you too *splash*

emirsmith

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
re:

These pop up banners on android 5 that dont allow you to turn off without turning notifications fully off are the work of a child working for a company like google and having no user feedback first before rolling out such feature. I cant believe how many times dumb things like this happen, I mean come on, its called testing, user feedback.. more testnig, more feedback, and finally release stable OS to the masses... I mean seriously.. I want to really slap the developer who decided that these pop up banners that are an intrusion to anything else you are doing on the phone were a good idea, and at least if you do think they are and so do 99% of people, at least have the disable action for the rest of the world to pick.. I can assure anyone that this pop up banner that doesnt go away until you swipe and if you turn off from notifications you dont even know when you get a text is NOT liked by 99% of people so someone needs to get fired, asap.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
re:

These pop up banners on android 5 that dont allow you to turn off without turning notifications fully off are the work of a child working for a company like google and having no user feedback first before rolling out such feature. I cant believe how many times dumb things like this happen, I mean come on, its called testing, user feedback.. more testnig, more feedback, and finally release stable OS to the masses... I mean seriously.. I want to really slap the developer who decided that these pop up banners that are an intrusion to anything else you are doing on the phone were a good idea, and at least if you do think they are and so do 99% of people, at least have the disable action for the rest of the world to pick.. I can assure anyone that this pop up banner that doesnt go away until you swipe and if you turn off from notifications you dont even know when you get a text is NOT liked by 99% of people so someone needs to get fired, asap.

Google doesn't test anything before release. Who do you think they are? Apple?

Posted via the Android Central App

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
re:

Mine only pop up for about five seconds. If I don't dismiss it or touch it to open the app, it goes away and I'm left with a standard notification in the notification bar......

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
re:

This is my problem from my other thread, except they dont pop up like that at all. They just go straight to the notification bar. I wish there was a setting or something that I could do to reactivate them.

pedro guy

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
re:

I had the same issue on whats app. If you set your settings in whats app to no pop up you also have to change notification to silent and vibrate off. If you do all 3 it doesn't pop up only an icon appears in task bar and indicator light blinks. Hope this helps 😉

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
re:

New settings in Marshmallow allow you to control, on an app by app basis, who can generate these banners, when they are generated, etc. If you don't want them, you can turn them off.

Sumit Sangtani

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
re:

If you swipe the popup left or right it will go away from the notification tray as well but if you swipe the popup upwards it will go away but stay in the notification tray to act on later. Though tapping on it should open the app, thats what happens on my phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma