Rooting Nexus 6 affect my warranty?

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Welcome.
It will void the warranty if the device has to go back to the carrier or manufacturer, but if rooted, it can be "un-rooted"/returned to stock if needed.
I have rooted mine and love it. Running CyanogenMod 12.
If you have the knowledge, do it.

Mav. :cool:

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Welcome.
It will void the warranty if the device has to go back to the carrier or manufacturer, but if rooted, it can be "un-rooted"/returned to stock if needed.
I have rooted mine and love it. Running CyanogenMod 12.
If you have the knowledge, do it.

Mav. :cool:

Did you notice battery life improvements on CM12 when compared to stock?

Posted via my Bloat-Free AT&T G3 Running Illusion ROM

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things to note....

Technically speaking, rooting a phone is a modification that could void your warranty. If you send back a working Nexus 6 that as been rooted, they may or may not give you a hard time. But if the thing is completely junk... screen toast, won't power on, etc... they aren't going to send it to some phone CSI team to see if you rooted so you could run Titanium Backup... they'll mostly just recycle it without a second thought.

I supposed if you run into a software based problem that can be directly related to you breaking something yourself after rooting the phone... they might be a bit more strict since you wouldn't have been sending back that phone had you not popped the hood and started pulling at wires. But it is EXTREMELY easy to bring a Nexus 6 back to 100% bone stock.... soup to nuts... As long as the sucker can boot into the bootloader menu, you can plug that baby in and get it back to the exact same condition it was when you took it out of the box.

And you REALLY have to be an extremely accomplished fool to brick a Nexus phone... really... these things are pretty much bulletproof even to the point where there is a backup bootloader in case the primary gets corrupted (or accidentally flashed over with a kernel from another phone... hypothetically speaking... heh).

The Nexus 6 does not have any kind of flash counter/flag that gets triggered when you modify things. It DOES have a flag indicating that the phone has been rooted, but that flag will clear if you 'unroot' or flash a factory image or even a custom ROM that does not have root access baked in.

So if you needed to go back to stock... say you are trading in your phone, or it is functional but something broke (broken speaker, radio, etc). Going back to stock is as easy as getting the factory image from Google and following the instructions... or even easier grabbing a tool like Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit and letting that do all the work.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Rooting will void the warranty. So if you flash the wrong rom or delete some essential program and brick your phone. The manufacturer can refuse to fix or replace it. However rooting is perfectly legal and you don't have to return it to stock if your simply trading it in or something.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Be careful if you call VZW for help on a rooted phone. They can run a test without telling you that reveals if phone is rooted.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And to do that you must be rooted. They can detect that. They only check when you call tech support. There is a thread about it on XDA

This thread? MyVerizon app is now checking if phones are … - Pg. 5 | Moto X | XDA Forums

I have yet to read Verizon acting on this. And I don't think I needed root to remove the app from my G2. But y'all can be as paranoid as you want. If you're smart and know what you're doing there aren't many situations this is ever a problem. Even if you're not it isn't.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon nexus 6 didn't even come with my Verizon on it... I had to install it Lol. I'm feeling this may be false.
Did you read the xda thread? That said it may not apply to Nexus. Bottom line is when they check it may not be to shut off your service but could be recorded to prevent you using warranty. Do as you like. Believe what you want. They can check...what they do with the info I do not know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34