No service on the phone

pasha133

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Bought my Nexus 6 from Google mid-January, activated on Bell Canada, worked great, no problems whatsoever and great battery life (almost 2 days compared to 1 day on Nexus 5). Suddenly a couple of days ago, after routine reboot (was draining battery too fast), cell service stopped working (it said "no service"). Tried a number of things:

- reboots
- removing and putting back SIM card
- somebody else's working SIM card
- finally, factory reset

Everything else is still working fine, wifi works, battery is fine. Very frustrating. At the end, I chatted with Motorola, they sent me to Google, called them, they agreed it's a phone issue, sent me an RMA # and I ordered a replacement phone (to their credit, Google support has been great, the process is reasonably good - I'm getting a replacement phone first, then will send them the old one).

Anyone else at the same boat? This is extremely frustrating as I don't have a home phone line and rely 100% on this cell phone. Supposedly latest and greatest in phone technology, not able to make a call. :mad:

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Wacky.
May have just been a bad unit. Some slip through.
Glad they took care of you.
I have not had that problem.
Let us know if it happens again.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The last product that had no defects was the universe. From then on, there's no such thing as defectless. The important thing is how the vendor (Google, Motorola, your carrier, whoever is handling it) handles it. Google seems to be pretty good. The real test comes when you see how long it takes. If it's fast, change pretty good to very good. (It's why I buy some things that are more expensive - like AT&T. Service costs, and I'm willing to pay for great service.)

pasha133

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
OK so I finally got the phone from them (after UPS wasted a day by placing the package into the wrong truck), the new phone works fine with my SIM card. This time Google shipped the phone from Mississauga, ON, not Kentucky, so it is faster.

I have one problem though - in the setup wizard, when migrating from 'bad' N6 to new N6, I tapped two phones together, it said 'copying data' or something like this, then it said there's some error restoring data. Only account information was copied, no apps, no widgets/home screens (I'm guessing because I tried to migrate from 5.0.1 phone to 5.0.0?). Since then, phone upgraded to 5.0.1 but I still don't have anything. Is there a way to bring up that upgrade wizard again, or some other way to restore all stuff from the 'bad' N6, without doing a factory reset on the new N6?

Previously 'tap' migration worked fine for me going from N5 to N6...

Thanks!

Last edited:

pasha133

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Update: factory reset of the new N6 did not help either, the error I got was "couldn't restore from backup". So I did another reset, skipped Tap&Go and the setup wizard offered me to restore from my last N5 backup. This is odd as it looks like N6 never backed up - I'm pretty sure it had the setting to back up.

So I did some digging and found that the google dashboard (google .com/settings/dashboard) provides information about what and when was backed up. There I see that my Nexus 7 and Nexus 5 devices were backed up, but not the N6 - it was only registered. Backups are dated as of December, so does it back up once every 2 months or something like this? This would explain why N6 never backed up, and why it would not restore.

Anyone knows a way to trigger backup immediately?

All of this is a bit annoying, I'd expect overpaid Google geniuses to do a better job developing software, but after all I finally got my device fully working which is good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc