Nexus 6 not playing any audio

KingGinger55

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
A couple of days ago i noticed that i wasn't getting any audio over voice calls. This extended to when I put it on speaker. I tried playing other audio through youtube and play music and got nothing. When I plugged my headphones in I got audio and when I unplugged them it wouldn't pause like it usually does but i still wouldn't hear anything. I got the same results with Bluetooth headphones. This made me think that there was a problem with the headphone jack recognizing where there was something plugged in and when there wasn't. I just couldn't get any audio to come through either of the front facing speakers except alarms and the little beeping sound when you turn the volume to a different level.

I had just received a call from my sister earlier that day and I had not dropped it or anything between then and when i realized the problem. I texted her and asked if she was having the same problem (were both on Sprint) and she wasn't.I figured it had to be a software issue. I power cycled it a couple times but still nothing. I did a full reset and wiped cache and davlink (I am rooted with the always encrypted thing turned off and I reset back to stock root). It still didn't make any sound. I didn't have time to reset it back to a completely stock build just then though.

I Googled my problem and only found like 3 other people this is happening to. On XDA they were telling the people this was happening to to just take it back for warranty and get a replacement. On Reddit however, someone said that power cycling it several times in a row (5-6) made it start working again. I tried this and sure enough. Now I am just worried about if I have a defective model that this might happen to again after the warranty is over. I can't take it back while it is not having the problem though. I guess i just have to sit and wait and hope it is software that Google will update (even though i swear this is the smallest amount of updates i have seen on a nexus I have had but that is a different story for a different thread).

Anyway, I just wanted to post this so that it is out there in our forums if any of you have the same problem (or any suggestions).

William Trippe

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Have had the same problem with my Nexus 6 (about a month old). Today it quit playing sound completely. Resets wouldn't help. Then continued to degrade by freezing up once rebooted. Can't do anything with my phone now. Talked to customer support for about an hour and finally got an RMA. Really sucks to get a refurbished item for a new phone.

vigneshmaran

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your suggestion. I would have given up restarting the phone after 2-3 times. It started working after restarting the device for the 5th time.

jones988

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
First 8 months I had N6, this wasn't a problem, but when I started synching Bluetooth headphones and speaker to n6, it's become a problem, but only when listening to music via Neutron and Google music player (last 6 mths). This problem existed before the marshmallow upgrade. However, there is no problem using the speakers on phone calls or hearing notifications/ phone ringing. I think something in Android or Neutron (or both) doesn't release the audio stream back to the speakers after I disconnect the bluetooth headphones. I suspect I could delete the Bluetooth connections on the n6 to correct the problem, but I don't want to put in that effort as this is only a minor annoyance on an otherwise great phone. If someone knows how to reset the audio without multiple reboots I would like to be advised.

jones988

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
OK, as often seems to happen in life, after posting a problem I research a little more and find the answer in ten minutes. On another forum, someone suggested checking the "sound & notification" settings and adjust the media volume control. When I checked my phone, this setting was totally off. Adjusting it to approximately 50% brought audio from the music player back to the speakers again. I suspect that Android or Neutron turns off the speaker volume when I use Bluetooth headphones, but doesn't turn the speaker volume back on when disconnecting the headphones. Since I adjusted the music volume using the outside side button when using Neutron, I didn't realize that another setting had turned off the audio to the speakers even though I could use the speakers for phone calls, ringtones etc. Nice to finally have a solution.

danielson2047

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had a somewhat similar issue. A few times I'll be in youtube and the volume will go to about half but still be on full when i adjust it. Force closing the youtube app fixes it. Def something wonky in there. Didnt have the issue on chroma, only since going back to stock rooted.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kasper Mooijman

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I managed to get my audio back by installing jakcom key from the playstore
It looks to me as a problem of recognizing the presence of a headphone. sound is redirected to the headphones jack even without having headphones inserted,
jakcom key can tell the system to ignore the presence and use external audio instead of the headphones.

BeastJakw

May 8, 2016
Visit site
A couple of days ago i noticed that i wasn't getting any audio over voice calls. This extended to when I put it on speaker. I tried playing other audio through youtube and play music and got nothing. When I plugged my headphones in I got audio and when I unplugged them it wouldn't pause like it usually does but i still wouldn't hear anything. I got the same results with Bluetooth headphones. This made me think that there was a problem with the headphone jack recognizing where there was something plugged in and when there wasn't. I just couldn't get any audio to come through either of the front facing speakers except alarms and the little beeping sound when you turn the volume to a different level.

I had just received a call from my sister earlier that day and I had not dropped it or anything between then and when i realized the problem. I texted her and asked if she was having the same problem (were both on Sprint) and she wasn't.I figured it had to be a software issue. I power cycled it a couple times but still nothing. I did a full reset and wiped cache and davlink (I am rooted with the always encrypted thing turned off and I reset back to stock root). It still didn't make any sound. I didn't have time to reset it back to a completely stock build just then though.

I Googled my problem and only found like 3 other people this is happening to. On XDA they were telling the people this was happening to to just take it back for warranty and get a replacement. On Reddit however, someone said that power cycling it several times in a row (5-6) made it start working again. I tried this and sure enough. Now I am just worried about if I have a defective model that this might happen to again after the warranty is over. I can't take it back while it is not having the problem though. I guess i just have to sit and wait and hope it is software that Google will update (even though i swear this is the smallest amount of updates i have seen on a nexus I have had but that is a different story for a different thread).

Anyway, I just wanted to post this so that it is out there in our forums if any of you have the same problem (or any suggestions).

Thank you for taking the time to post this, I used your suggestion and it worked! Thanks much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaiah Wright

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to post this, I used your suggestion and it worked! Thanks much!

{SOLVED} So what is causing this problem in particular guys is... Look at my page too see the Answer! just kidding fr now. What it is here (if your get no notifications and no sound for music but you get calls and all that) what happened is :( you headphone jack is failing bud. So what happens is when you plug your headphones in and the audio comes in grainy and trashy your phone is still picking up the headphones so what it does ofcourse is send your sounds through there. However it's not picking up when you unplug your head phones and it continues to send that sound for your music and notifications to the now empty headphone jack. Thus why you can hear phone calls on speaker but not on the headset. ( and if you tested it enough alarms) but not sound or notifications. How I fixed this was to basically plug my headphones in and out until it picked up they were no longer in the device. Restart may work if this fails,but if your getting the problem I described I'm fairly positive that's the cause. So get a new audio port ASAP and don't put things inside yours.

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Had the same issue after getting soaked by a particular nasty rain-shower. I tried plugging/unplugging headphones and multiple reboots without success. I ended up shutting the device off and putting it in a bowl of rice over night and it has worked fine ever since.

Colee72

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I went into the "Sound & Notifications" in settings - volume was turned up to max but when I turned it down to silent then turned it back up to max my sound returned.
Hope that helps :)

karthy_Jeeva

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I had this same problem , while I unplugged my head phones while using a google hangout call . Worked after 3 restarts. Very weird. Thanks for the post. I would have gone for a full reset , if I've not gone through your Post. thanks much

Jiten Dhanak1

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
This guy has really made my stress relieved. And yes peeps it's a reality. I got a bluetooth speaker was connecting to it and playing songs, wen I went to work .ahhh !!! Speakers not working not able to receive calls neither my mic working. May be an issue as he mentioned tat the artificial intelligence of the phone makes it convert to the head phone channel even tough not connected.so your nex 6 behaves as if the head phones are still connected evn if they are not. So a simple magic trick of the gentle man really worked for me. Plug and unplug head phones for it to remember how to work..and I also tried one more trick mentioned here by someone of downloading JAKCOM KEY from play store while it asks which device is inserted I did headphone once and other option it gives is of JAKCOM device.so I pressed it too..and sound is back. So here are the 2 possible tricks workd for me instantly. Hope it helps you guys too...and people are saying go for replacement.!!! Pity.

Pjkingz

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
Had the same problem a few days ago. Today i restarted (powercycled) my phone about 6 times and audio started woroking again and normal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang