Finally got rid of my BlackBerry and got myself a new Nexus 6 - man what a miss!!!

WayneDPD

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Yep finally finished my contract with BlackBerry and I understand why Obamma refuses to give up his. First I was forced to use GMail for my eMail client and yes it supports POP accounts...well I set the client to NEVER delete mail from the server. Google should stick to search engines because understanding English is not their strength. Tried sending mail and that never worked although the send mail sever did verify and save the settings.

Downloaded K-9 and BlueMail both worked great once in a while, seems like the software is either unstable or GMail is interfering. Disabled the Gmail client and yes (doing this may cause application that need this feature to fail - note DISABLED not DELETED/UNINSTALLEDl), all my phone contacts and calendar events were deleted from the phone without any specific warning. What the heck does a the Calendar and Phone book have to do with a mail client being disabled??... All of a sudden BlueMail would not get mail any longer. Checked..all the accounts setup were also deleted. Tried to recreate them..."Account already defined!!!'

Like Apple, Google is forcing you to use their product on this phone. Calling the provider to day to see if I can go back to BlackBerry. Nice device useless Software, great OS...funny how that works since it was the same company that built both pieces of software! If you plan to just use gmail then this is the phone for you but if like me you like to choose the software you want to use then GOOGLE Phone is going to waste your time as it seems that the plan is to be like Apple, sorry I am not the type to support "followers", I chose GOOGLE because I really thought they were leaders!

Stuck with this piece of crap for the next two years only because the software is useless, unless I can get it traded as it is only 7 days old!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, it seems Android is just not for you, although I'm guessing it's more due to a lack of understanding the OS. I use GMail for my personal account, but you're never forced to use that. Yes, Google relies on GMail as its main client, but guess what? It's THEIR e-mail platform, of course they're going to rely on that! That being said, just as if you were able to disable the stock e-mail app on a Blackberry, that would screw up other processes as well since they use the same services. Stock apps are the core function. For basic functions, 3rd party apps still use those services.

But that's the beauty of having multiple OS choices. You can CHOOSE :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the GMail app is not the main Mail app, then yes, disabling GMail wouldn't (shouldn't) have consequences to other apps. Disable the main Mail app, however, and it does.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep finally finished my contract with BlackBerry and I understand why Obamma refuses to give up his. First I was forced to use GMail for my eMail client and yes it supports POP accounts...well I set the client to NEVER delete mail from the server. Google should stick to search engines because understanding English is not their strength. Tried sending mail and that never worked although the send mail sever did verify and save the settings.

Downloaded K-9 and BlueMail both worked great once in a while, seems like the software is either unstable or GMail is interfering. Disabled the Gmail client and yes (doing this may cause application that need this feature to fail - note DISABLED not DELETED/UNINSTALLEDl), all my phone contacts and calendar events were deleted from the phone without any specific warning. What the heck does a the Calendar and Phone book have to do with a mail client being disabled??... All of a sudden BlueMail would not get mail any longer. Checked..all the accounts setup were also deleted. Tried to recreate them..."Account already defined!!!'

Like Apple, Google is forcing you to use their product on this phone. Calling the provider to day to see if I can go back to BlackBerry. Nice device useless Software, great OS...funny how that works since it was the same company that built both pieces of software! If you plan to just use gmail then this is the phone for you but if like me you like to choose the software you want to use then GOOGLE Phone is going to waste your time as it seems that the plan is to be like Apple, sorry I am not the type to support "followers", I chose GOOGLE because I really thought they were leaders!

Stuck with this piece of crap for the next two years only because the software is useless, unless I can get it traded as it is only 7 days old!

Blackberry is still around.... lol? Such a successful company... ROFL. Climb back on the sinking SS Blackberry. Ignorance really is bliss.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Who uses a blackberry anymore lol!?!? Reallllllly what a joke... Blackberry the dinosaur of smartphones.....

GMAIL far the best email service out there i would be lost with out it... What a ***** blackberry more like crackberry

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you don't know how to use your phone. Go back to blackberry. This is too advanced for you.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Such an easy phone to use in my opinion and far superior to a blackberry. I could never go back to a blackberry or am iPhone since I switched to android last summer.

Posted via my Nexus 6.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Not sure what trashing Android on an Android forum will accomplish here. But if it's only 7 days old, you can get a exchange at no cost. Most phone providers give you 15 days (at least Telus does here in Canada)

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

congratulations, you went from a go-cart to a Ferrari and say you're not happy. unfortunately, the market and 99.5%+ of the free world disagrees with you.

or are you simply a proud, silly canuck defending your failed tech company?

AidenSurvival

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As someone who has had multiple BlackBerry devices and Nexus devices, I can tell you the problems that you are having has never happened to me.

As for having bundled Google services, that doesn't bother me at all. BlackBerry does the same with it's own apps. So does Apple.

The Nexus devices should be one of the easiest Android phones out there to use. If you're having problems with it, trade it off, and go back to BlackBerry. You clearly don't know how to use your phone properly.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I think that if he has problems like that with using basic android functionality he should rather skip on buying any smartphones ever again, good old dumbphone would be enough.
Also he's a troll

anon(4086706)

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I used BOTH a Blackberry Passport and a Nexus 5 with both distinct functions. The former where I store all my work stuff and banking info and some important Android apps; I'm not ready to trust an Android device of my data. The latter is where I store all my games, media and other apps; basically a play phone.

Also, the reason why I choose Android over iOS is that... at least I could transfer files between phones and tether phones compared to iOS; they just understand each other pretty well. Plus the Android Runtime is one of the few motivations for me to invest on a separate Android phone. Though I don't really try to off one platform to the other.

Jon Tessler

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
As someone who switched from a blackberry Q10 to the nexus 6, there are some things I miss from my bbry, and there are a lot of things that make me happy about my N6. I hate when people bash another OS simply because it is"cool" to do. Blackberries have their uses, and they are doing what they need to do to survive as a company. Should another full touch blackberry come about on sprint, I would try it out to see how it worked for me.

I hope blackberry remains in the game simply because more choices are good for consumers and businesses.

MobileMadness002

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what trashing Android on an Android forum will accomplish here. But if it's only 7 days old, you can get a exchange at no cost. Most phone providers give you 15 days (at least Telus does here in Canada)

Posted via the Android Central App on my BlackBerry Passport

Same **** we get over at CrackBerry. Never understood it myself. I just chalk it up to someone looking for attention.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I went from a Z10 to a nexus 5 and now a nexus 6. Both platforms have pros and cons. I don't like not being able to disable conversation mode in gmail. In fact I hate it. Otherwise I really like my nexus 6.

WayneDPD

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
The issue is not Android but rather the lack of functionality of gmail app. Unfortunately I unlike you do not use gmail. I can afford my own server and wish to use that. Blackberry did not have issues with this so don;t knock what you have not tried. As a troll I believe that if I get something new it should be more functional and not more ancient. The Nexus 6 I purchased is my phone and I believe that gives the right to choose what software I use on it, if I wanted an Apple environment I would bought an iPhone. That's the beauty of open source systems, they support other people software and not just what the manufacturer wants you to use. If something as ancient as Blackberry allows this, what up with Google? Reinventing the wheel? Don't be insulted because I am looking for a smartphone that understands business.

Last edited: