Google's MVNO only to work with the Nexus 6 - Project Fi.

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to figure out the benefit of switching to this.
I'm on a family plan sharing only 2gb of data and rarely using 1gb a month (were both on wifi at work/home). I have a nexus 6, she doesnt. So if I leave and pay $30 a month, I'd have to see what sprints cheapest plan is for an individual. Their site seems to be catering to unlimited or family only that I could see at a glance.

I pay about $99 for the 2 lines now. If it makes her plan go up to $60 and mine to $30, its not really worth it to me, but tempting knowing I'd have either tmobile or sprint signals....if the handoff is good. I could see a lot of dropped calls happening between towers myself.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to figure out the benefit of switching to this.

about the only "Benefit" would being able to switch between T-Mobile and Sprint.. Alone they both have great coverage areas and horrible coverage areas.. Combined it should fill in the gaps decently... but I left Sprint after nearly 15 years because their coverage in the DFW areas I roam most was horrible... T-Mobile has better coverage in DFW.. but when I travel back home to TN or NC the in between coverage of T-Mobile is very lacking (but getting better) I personally use 10 - 12 GB per month of data and use the two lines for $100 on T-Mobile with unlimited everything so this isn't much of a "Deal" for my usage...

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Can any T-Mobile N6 owners (or T-Mobile staffers) clarify something?

If you currently own a Nexus 6 that you purchased via T-Mobile with the understanding that the N6 you purchased was eventually going to get an update to allow Wifi Calling, can you now make and receive calls over Wifi as a T-Mobile customer? Or do you have to wait to be invited to join Project Fi to do so?

And if you do join Project Fi, what impact will that have on your T-Mobile account? If said N6 owner is currently making monthly payments to T-Mobile for said N6, is said N6 owner even eligible to accept an invite to Project Fi? Or would joining Project Fi mean paying another $20 or so to Google to be able to make/receive calls via Hangouts?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

If you currently own a Nexus 6 that you purchased via T-Mobile with the understanding that the N6 you purchased was eventually going to get an update to allow Wifi Calling, can you now make and receive calls over Wifi as a T-Mobile customer? Or do you have to wait to be invited to join Project Fi to do so?

And if you do join Project Fi, what impact will that have on your T-Mobile account? If said N6 owner is currently making monthly payments to T-Mobile for said N6, is said N6 owner even eligible to accept an invite to Project Fi? Or would joining Project Fi mean paying another $20 or so to Google to be able to make/receive calls via Hangouts?

Project Fi is an MVNO, so it's technically a separate service (even though it uses T-Mo and Sprint networks). Much like StraightTalk is. T-Mobile's Wifi calling is their own protocol for their customers - it's totally separate from the Project Fi customer experience. To switch to Project Fi you would be cancelling your account with T-Mobile in the process. Hope that helps!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

As ottscay pointed out, it's a separate service.

T-Mobile subscribers with the Nexus 6 are still slated to be able to use WiFi calling (currently) by mid-year. This will require an update of Nexus 6's software and/or an update to T-Mobile's network infrastructure. If it's just the former, then it's likely that T-Mobile users will be able to begin enjoying this feature around the time of Project Fi's actual launch.

androidkin

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
As of right now, Nexus 6 cannot make calls or send texts over WiFi. T-mobile stated an update will enable this feature in "early 2015".

Project Fi is only using T-mobile's network, so many of features do not carry over such as WiFi calling. The service utilizes Sprint, T-mobile, or WiFi depending which ever has the strognest signal to make calls, send texts and use data. You'll still have access to T-mobile's global roaming.

If you do subscribe to Project Fi, you either need to cancel T-mobile and pay the remaining balance on your Nexus 6 or transfer your T-mobile sim to another phone and use the Nexus 6 with Project Fi.

I'm interesting in trying Project Fi but can't switch completely due a family plan, So i will switch my T-mobile sim to a Galaxy S4 and try Project Fi on my Nexus 6 for a while to see if it's worth or if there is any benefit. I get great service with T-mobile where i live.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
As of right now, Nexus 6 cannot make calls or send texts over WiFi. T-mobile stated an update will enable this feature in "early 2015".

Project Fi is only using T-mobile's network, so many of features do not carry over such as WiFi calling. The service utilizes Sprint, T-mobile, or WiFi depending which ever has the strognest signal to make calls, send texts and use data. You'll still have access to T-mobile's global roaming.

If you do subscribe to Project Fi, you either need to cancel T-mobile and pay the remaining balance on your Nexus 6 or transfer your T-mobile sim to another phone and use the Nexus 6 with Project Fi.

I'm interesting in trying Project Fi but can't switch completely due a family plan, So i will switch my T-mobile sim to a Galaxy S4 and try Project Fi on my Nexus 6 for a while to see if it's worth or if there is any benefit. I get great service with T-mobile where i live.

Everything you said either contradicts itself or is flat out wrong. Try again.

Posted via the Android Central App

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Actually, the premise of Fi IS to make all calls solely over WiFi unless it isn't available, so it does have WiFi Calling enabled. I don't know how it works for non Fi bought Nexus 6s, but it's interesting to note that Nexus 6s bought from Fi itself have a slightly different build number-- it's probably what controls the ability to WiFi Call on the software side.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2