N6 not showing in Android Device Manager

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Just checking in on Android Device Manager every now and then, and I notice the Nexus 6 I've had since November is a no show. My Nexus 7 and Asus TF Prime show on the list as expected.

I have Android Device Manager enabled as an administrator in the phone settings, and I don't see much in the way of settings on the site.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?

AC App
Nexus 6

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On your desktop browser, go to any Google page, click on your profile picture at the upper right, then Account, then scroll down to Devices. Is it listed there?

On your Nexus 6, go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]. Is everything there correct (i.e., the right Google account)?

Go to play.google.com/settings. Is the Nexus 6 there, but the Visibility checkbox is unchecked? Make sure it's checked.

thunderbolt_nick

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I just had this problem too. How I fixed it:

1) Go into multitasking and close Android Device manager if it is open.
2) Open Google Settings app. Then go to Security. Uncheck both Android Device manager options. I believe they are Remote Erase and Tracking.
3) Go to Settings > Apps > All > Google Play Services. Clear cache and data.
4) Back to Google Settings. Recheck both options.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
On your desktop browser, go to any Google page, click on your profile picture at the upper right, then Account, then scroll down to Devices. Is it listed there?

On your Nexus 6, go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]. Is everything there correct (i.e., the right Google account)?

Go to play.google.com/settings. Is the Nexus 6 there, but the Visibility checkbox is unchecked? Make sure it's checked.

There was a sync error in my Google account setting on the device. Turning off sound search sync took care of that though. The N6 is listed and visible on the Google settings pages.

AC App
Nexus 6

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I just had this problem too. How I fixed it:

1) Go into multitasking and close Android Device manager if it is open.
2) Open Google Settings app. Then go to Security. Uncheck both Android Device manager options. I believe they are Remote Erase and Tracking.
3) Go to Settings > Apps > All > Google Play Services. Clear cache and data.
4) Back to Google Settings. Recheck both options.

I don't even see those Device Manager options in Security Settings, other than the ability to activate or deactivate in Device Administrators.

What else will clearing Google Play Services cache and data cause me to lose??

AC App
Nexus 6

thunderbolt_nick

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't even see those Device Manager options in Security Settings, other than the ability to activate or deactivate in Device Administrators.

What else will clearing Google Play Services cache and data cause me to lose??

AC App
Nexus 6
Should look like this (2 items are circled)
uploadfromtaptalk1426315082935.jpg

Google Play Services shouldn't clear much and it tells you what it's clearing when you tap 'Manage Space'. Search Data is the only significant one. Don't quote me but I believe that is for Play Store Searches not actual Google Searches.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Should look like this (2 items are circled)
View attachment 166808

Google Play Services shouldn't clear much and it tells you what it's clearing when you tap 'Manage Space'. Search Data is the only significant one. Don't quote me but I believe that is for Play Store Searches not actual Google Searches.

Ok I found the settings (in Google settings, not phone settings... Feel like a dummy). Unchecked the options, cleared out GP Services, rechecked both options. Still nothing. I must still be missing something so simple...

AC App
Nexus 6

Last edited:

taylorad

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here on a Moto X (2014)

Followed all these steps. It's listed under google account and not hidden in the play store.

Just not listed in android device manager.

Ashwin136

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Well, I don't seem to have an answer why this was happening, but I got some advice about how to finally fix it.
This worked on my Mobile Nexus 5 running Android 5.1

From Ryan Lestage on Google+:

Clear data for the following apps:

Play Store
Download Manager
Google Services Framework
Restart your phone.

Fire up the Play Store app.
Wait for the device to show again on the web Play Store. It will appear under Settings > Devices. It may take a half-hour to several hours to appear.
When your phone has shown up in the Play Store with the date registered as today's date, proceed with the next steps, but not before.

Open Google Settings from your device's apps menu.
Touch Android Device Manager.
Uncheck Allow remote factory reset.
Go to your device's main Settings menu, then touch Apps > All > Google Play services.
Touch Clear Data. Note that this action doesn't remove personal data.
Go back to Google Settings and select Allow remote factory reset.
Restart your device.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have this working now too, finally. The only steps I took were clearing data on Google Services Framework, which happened a couple weeks ago when I was trying to force the 5.1 OTA, and toggling the remote factory reset setting today.

I hadn't thought about Device Manager until today when this thread popped up and reminded me!

AC App
Nexus 6

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza