Is the nexus 6 battery life significantly better than the nexus 5?

kgh00007

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey, can you give me your subjective opinions on the battery life of the n6 vs the n5?

My nexus 5 doesn't last through the day without having to recharge it at least once, maybe twice a day!

How are you guys getting on with your nexus 6? If you had the nexus 5 before, how much better is the battery life or is it the same?

The only thing I don't like about the n5 is the battery life and don't want to upgrade if the battery life of the n6 is going to be similar!!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey, can you give me your subjective opinions on the battery life of the n6 vs the n5?

My nexus 5 doesn't last through the day without having to recharge it at least once, maybe twice a day!

How are you guys getting on with your nexus 6? If you had the nexus 5 before, how much better is the battery life or is it the same?

The only thing I don't like about the n5 is the battery life and don't want to upgrade if the battery life of the n6 is going to be similar!!

Nexus 6 vs Nexus 5 battery

The Nexus 5 battery life isn't great, with a 2,300 mAh battery powering a high-performance device. The Nexus 6 comes with a 3,220 mAh battery, almost 1000 milliampere-hour more, but it has a bigger and more detailed screen to power. What is the end result?

The Nexus 6, despite higher-power components, still beats the Nexus 5 in terms of battery life. In our experience, it easily manages 24 hours of heavy usage with juice still in the tank. Add to this the ability to gain a significant charge (around 6 hours) in just 15 minutes, and the Nexus 6 offers a much better energy package overall.

Nexus 5 vs Nexus 6: is the new Nexus worth the upgrade? [updated: new comparison video] - AndroidPIT

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Battery lasts significantly longer with the Nexus 6. Probably 30-40% longer. It should, it has a much larger battery - 2300mAh vs 3220mAh.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

vjh425

May 8, 2014
Visit site
In my experience, the Nexus 6 battery is significantly better. My Nexus 5 would die halfway through the day where as the Nexus 6 is good all day.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I went from N5 to N6, wife has N5, my battery life sucks just as bad as it did on the N5. I get maybe 3 hrs of screen time, just like my N5. I work in an a lead lined X ray area, so signal is an issue, but with data off, to not drain, my battery life still sucks, just like my N5. After an 8 hour work day, I am down 10 10%, and need a recharge, just like my N5.

My Moto X (2013) murders both of these phones in terms of battery life.

kgh00007

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Cheers folks, I think I'm gonna go for it. I'm due an upgrade next week so I'll grab the nexus 6 and give it a shot!

Cheers!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the Nexus 6 is significantly longer for my usage. The Nexus 5 made it through a normal day for me and the Nexus 6 has more battery left for me than the Nexus 5 did.

Posted via my Nexus 6!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Sure; it's better... a hell of a lot better. Of course, YMMV and everyone's usage is different. You might find someone who's experience is opposite mine, but...

I loved my Nexus 5. It has some quirks of course, but the whole package was great. I had come to it from a Galaxy S3 and it just pretty much did everything so much better. But looking back, I had to power-manage WAY too much. When me and my wife went on some day trips or were on vacation (we both had Nexus 5s), it was a daily struggle to get them through the end of the day... that battery meter would drop crazy fast.

Even with day to day usage, it was a bit limited. I would really top out at around 3 hours of screen use a day, and I'd rarely hit the point where I would make it a full 24 hours between charges. I'd charge in the morning, then top it off sometimes twice (afternoon/evening). I used Tasker and Llama profiles to fuss with things like dropping the phone into Airplane mode late at night when the screen was off.... Greenify... another app that scheduled the ability for wakelocks to fire (forget the name). If I was johnny on the spot, I would get up into the 3's and sniff at 4. I hit 4 hours SOT between charges once and it felt like I captured Sasquatch.

Now, at the time, I didn't realize how much effort I had put into extending the battery's charge. But it became clear when I got my G3 (which was slightly better) and then my Nexus 6 (which is a LOT better). The first week I had my Nexus 6, I loaded up one of the battery tools that I had installed and realized that I hadn't really looked at it much, obsessing over power use. And the number at the top said 5:40h of active, screen time. No automation to fumble with radios, no greenify, nothing. Just letting it be what it be and not worrying. My normal usage is much less, of course.

I can, if I needed to, charge once a day, in the morning while I get ready for the day (and the 6 charges crazy fast). But I top off a few times during the course of the day because, well, why not? I never had that luxury with the Nexus 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463