Root Nexus 6 on Verizon? Root on VZ?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 4 and S4 are up next month and one of my options is the Nexus 6. If I can get rid of any preinstalled bloat and get rid of the logo I might pay the subsidized price through VZ. I've never rooted a phone before, but it seems easy enough. Will it be just like regular stock on my N4 and would you recommend rooting if I have no experience doing so?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
See [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.4 [U… | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums It looks pretty simple - just click the Root button. (I didn't read the thread, but I know that the Wug tool works - so read the thread before you root.)

Should you root? If you don't muck around in the phone, doing things you couldn't do without root, the only downside is the warranty. Root and they may not honor it even for a hardware malfunction.

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have had a rooted phone on Verizon since 2010. The Verizon Nexus is no different than any other carriers version.

The ease of which you can root it is exactly why I got this phone. If you use want to run ROMs and root read, read, and read some more.

Sent from my Nexus 6

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I have had a rooted phone on Verizon since 2010. The Verizon Nexus is no different than any other carriers version.

The ease of which you can root it is exactly why I got this phone. If you use want to run ROMs and root read, read, and read some more.

Sent from my Nexus 6
Also Titanium Backup can do more things with root.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
See [Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v2.0.4 [U… | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums It looks pretty simple - just click the Root button. (I didn't read the thread, but I know that the Wug tool works - so read the thread before you root.)

I'll vouch for Wug's Toolkit. It's a brilliant piece of work! I use it all the time. With my first Nexus devices I rooted and flashed manually because I wanted to learn the processes, but once I learned it there wasn't much point. This device takes the work out of it, and it's very nice if you don't want or need to learn how to do it manually.

I didn't know Titanium Backup worked without root.

It's quite limited without root, but it does do a little bit.

OP, I use a Nexus 6 I bought directly from Motorola on Verizon, but from what I've heard the one Verizon carries is identical except for the Verizon logo on the back. Reports are that it rubs off quite easily, similar to the AT&T version. AT&T actually modified the Nexus 6 some; theirs is SIM locked and it has an AT&T boot animation. Verizon's is 100% stock (besides the logo which can be removed) from what I understand.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I'll vouch for Wug's Toolkit. It's a brilliant piece of work! I use it all the time. With my first Nexus devices I rooted and flashed manually because I wanted to learn the processes, but once I learned it there wasn't much point. This device takes the work out of it, and it's very nice if you don't want or need to learn how to do it manually.

It's quite limited without root, but it does do a little bit.

OP, I use a Nexus 6 I bought directly from Motorola on Verizon, but from what I've heard the one Verizon carries is identical except for the Verizon logo on the back. Reports are that it rubs off quite easily, similar to the AT&T version. AT&T actually modified the Nexus 6 some; theirs is SIM locked and it has an AT&T boot animation. Verizon's is 100% stock (besides the logo which can be removed) from what I understand.
Only problem with Verizon's device is that it's only 32 GB. Kinda like underwear 2 sizes too small.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
checked out Wug's, that's definitely something I can handle. so after I root the phone, what custom ROM should I install? I frequent this sight often so I often hear cyanogen mentioned. I guess that simply replaces the operating system? how often would I have to update my phone, and other than restoring everything to stock (good enough reason alone), what are the benefits to rooting and cyanogen? reason I ask, is if I purchase through the play store or Motorola, I wonder if I should still root

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Only problem with Verizon's device is that it's only 32 GB. Kinda like underwear 2 sizes too small.

lol, I store all my music, photos, video content on my laptop so I should be OK with the 32. I'd prefer the 64 and if I get it through the play store that's what I'll do. I usually just keep a few photos, 10-15 songs and a couple games on it. with the larger screen and speakers, I imagine I'll do a little more video, but I still prefer using my laptop or iPad for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC