help a newb sideload 5.1E

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to sideload using wugfresh. When I download from the google, it is a .tgz file. Wugfresh is asking for a zip file.
Where do I get the zip file?

Or what am I missing?
Thanks

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
tgz is a tar gnu zip file. I have never done that but don't you have to unzip that first ?

Edit : yes just let the tool do it for you

Last edited:

Shenron

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The tgz file is a factory image. You don't sideload the factory image. You need to use the Flash + unroot button on Wug. It will ask you if you want to use a file that you have downloaded. Choose that option and go to the folder where you have the file and select.

Posted via the Android Central App

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Just google nexus factory image and you will find all of the Nexus 6 images. You can throw it in the toolkit or just flash them through adb. I usually flash the files separately in fastboot in this order: boot loader, radio, recovery, boot, system, & cache...

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Even if this device is from Moto it still needs to be unlocked by wugfresh?
Sorry for all the newb questions

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've never flashed a factory image before, is it any harder than side loading a ota?

Shenron

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Even if this device is from Moto it still needs to be unlocked by wugfresh?
Sorry for all the newb questions

Yes. There are two types of "unlocked". There's carrier unlocked which, in this case, is what the Nexus 6 is when you buy from Moto or Google, and then there's unlocking the bootloader which is what you need to do to with Wug to load the factory image.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never flashed a factory image before, is it any harder than side loading a ota?
Harder in terms of physical effort, no. You push a few buttons in either case.

Harder once you've done it, yes, if it's an image set up so it doesn't retain your data. Flashing the whole ROM gives you an out-of-the-box phone - all your data, downloaded apps, pictures, etc., are gone, unless you've backed then up somewhere.

Shenron

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Harder in terms of physical effort, no. You push a few buttons in either case.

Harder once you've done it, yes, if it's an image set up so it doesn't retain your data. Flashing the whole ROM gives you an out-of-the-box phone - all your data, downloaded apps, pictures, etc., are gone, unless you've backed then up somewhere.

Wugfresh now allows you to flash the factory image without wiping your data. I did it a few days ago.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't have my laptop open in front of me but if I recall correctly all you have to do is hit the button on the right that says flash stock or something like that then select the 5.1 image from the drop down list.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you using Wugfresh?

I was trying to use WUG fresh to sideload... I had used it before but for whatever reason when I try and use it to side load 5.1 it reboots the phone and then gets stuck on "Waiting for device" and eventually times out. Suggest you try a different USB port and I tried them all and same thing can't get past the "Waiting on Device" part................ Oh well I'll probably just sit back and wait on T-Mobile to push out "M" OTA I guess....

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I was trying to use WUG fresh to sideload... I had used it before but for whatever reason when I try and use it to side load 5.1 it reboots the phone and then gets stuck on "Waiting for device" and eventually times out. Suggest you try a different USB port and I tried them all and same thing can't get past the "Waiting on Device" part................ Oh well I'll probably just sit back and wait on T-Mobile to push out "M" OTA I guess....

When it says waiting for device, unplug and plug back in the device. Should be recognized then.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When it says waiting for device, unplug and plug back in the device. Should be recognized then.

tried that just now... still says "Waiting for Device" and eventually times out again... No clue what the deal is..... use to be really easy back when I was rooted (which I have not done since I had my Galaxy S3... Left my Nexus 5 and 6 alone)

I'll try again later... or maybe I get the OTA soon......

Thanks for the help....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user