still waiting for 5.1

Knyte

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else not get 5.1 yet? Got my N6 recently from moto and it updated to 5.0.1 once it got a WiFi signal. Now it isn't updating even with a vzw sim in it. Wonder how much longer it's going to be..

Posted via the Android Central App

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else not get 5.1 yet? Got my N6 recently from moto and it updated to 5.0.1 once it got a WiFi signal. Now it isn't updating even with a vzw sim in it. Wonder how much longer it's going to be..

I just got mine from Moto yesterday and its at 5.0 system update checks currently says I'm up to date.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

As has been stated in other threads...the update is rolled out in stages. More people than not still have not received the update. Give it another week or two. The update only started rolling out two weeks ago.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
This is driving me insane - I check the software update screen at least twice a day - I don't even need 5.1 - I haven't found any issues on the Nexus 6, I'm just impatient.

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Tried this today since I hadn't received the 5.1 OTA yet.

[Settings] -> [Apps] -> swipe over to [All] -> scroll to [Google Services Framework] and tap to open.
Clear Data then Force Stop
Now go back to [About phone] -> [System updates] and manually check for the update.

5.1 is downloading now...

Update: While I've never had any issues using this method there could be potential risks involved. YMMV

From Android engineer Dan Morill November 2013; "Doing this changes the primary ID by which Google knows your device. As far as the servers are concerned, the device was basically factory reset. There are many downstream effects of this, but a big one is that this invalidates the tokens used by any app that uses GCM (which is nearly all the Google apps, and a ton of third-party apps.)
How apps react to GCM IDs changing varies by app. With Play Store you have to log out and log back in, I think Gmail usually handles it transparently eventually but won't get new mail notifications for a while, etc. Some apps you may have to clear data on to recover. All apps will simply stop getting GCM push-messages, until they get a new GCM ID; some do this frequently, others rarely, and some apps use the GCM ID as an ID on their own servers (as it is opaque and basically random), so other things besides push messages may not work.
Nothing bursts into flames, but it makes a ton of nuisances on the device, including some that can look pretty mysterious. Your mileage will vary depending on what apps you use."

Last edited:

con5150

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site

[Settings] -> [Apps] -> swipe over to [All] -> scroll to [Google Services Framework] and tap to open.
Now go back to [About phone] -> [System updates] and manually check for the update.

Tried this a few times, didn't work for me.....

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Holy **** my good friend that worked haha!! currently downloading 5.1 - I'm truly amazed, please explain what happened lol?

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

Apparently it's not recommended to do that and if you do so, you might not receive notifications for a bit.

It never worked for me.. Until now! 5.1 is downloading!

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Updated original post to include potential "nuisances" involved with the force close Google framework services method.

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Literally did it a minute before your update.
It worked however, its downloading right now

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll wait but I'm impatient. I want WiFi calling and band 12 as well. Those should gave come for TMO customers in January. Hopefully the wait won't be much longer.