To get, or not to get the Nexus 6

Julio Cardozo

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I've been thinking of buying this phone, but I'm still not fully convinced. Should I or should I not get it, and why?

Posted via the Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Why are you not fully convinced? What did you like about the N6, and what do you dislike about it? If you give that information, you may get useful answers (pertaining to your concerns).

(You are posting in a N6 forum, and it is likely that folks here will tell you to get it)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You are almost at the point that unless you NEED a new phone or have a lot of disposable income to just wait for what is coming next.... I love my Nexus 6 and I'd recommend it to anyone as long as the size isn't a big deal to you.... but in the world of smartphones you are about to see a flood of new (Slightly better spec wise) devices coming out in the late spring early summer..... stinks that in just a few short months your device can go from top of the line best you can get to old news so quickly....

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
You are almost at the point that unless you NEED a new phone or have a lot of disposable income to just wait for what is coming next.... I love my Nexus 6 and I'd recommend it to anyone as long as the size isn't a big deal to you.... but in the world of smartphones you are about to see a flood of new (Slightly better spec wise) devices coming out in the late spring early summer..... stinks that in just a few short months your device can go from top of the line best you can get to old news so quickly....

I wouldn't consider the Nexus 6 old news when it comes to the S6, S6 Edge, M9, or G4. It's a different phone with a different experience and most people aren't going to notice the performance differences among them. I'd only consider the Nexus 6 "old news" when the new Nexus device launches later this year.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't consider the Nexus 6 old news when it comes to the S6, S6 Edge, M9, or G4. It's a different phone with a different experience and most people aren't going to notice the performance differences among them. I'd only consider the Nexus 6 "old news" when the new Nexus device launches later this year.

Sorry if I was misunderstood.. I didn't say the Nexus was old news... If you are a true "Nexus" fan you pretty much go from one to the next.. At this point you have a lot of new stuff due out very soon with slightly better specs... and you are not all that too far away from a possible Nexus replacement (Rumors of who is going to be making it are already leaking out left and right)... I've had mine almost 5 months now.... Usually by June/July we start getting the rumored specs (just a couple months away) and by September we start seeing rumored renders and leaks (although less with the 6 vs 5 before it)

Unless you have a pretty good solid disposable income I think we are in a weird point of where "Should I get the Nexus 6 or wait and see what else is coming out in the months ahead or even wait to see what the next Nexus is?"

Would help a lot when people post this kind of thing to give us a brief idea on why they may or may not be leaning towards or away from said device... Not looking for a credit score and copies of your tax returns and bank statements.... If you've been saving up for six months or longer to buy a new phone then I'd probably say wait and see what is next... If you have money burning a hole in your pocket or buying it and sell it for a $100 or so loss in a couple of weeks isn't a big deal to you go for it.....

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking of buying this phone, but I'm still not fully convinced. Should I or should I not get it, and why?

I love the size, customizability, the ability to flash rom of my choice, stereo speakers, and the superior Motorola radios.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
If you've been saving up for six months or longer to buy a new phone then I'd probably say wait and see what is next...

It's interesting reading the comments on this site on how often people change phones. I read many comments where many people change their phones every six months! How can one afford to do that? Why would anyone want to do that? It seems...wasteful. I know humans want the "latest and greatest", but sometimes the latest and greatest isn't the best.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
It's interesting reading the comments on this site on how often people change phones. I read many comments where many people change their phones every six months! How can one afford to do that? Why would anyone want to do that? It seems...wasteful. I know humans want the "latest and greatest", but sometimes the latest and greatest isn't the best.

I usually change phone every 2 years, but this year was kinda exceptional - switched from Lumia 820 to galaxy s5.
Six months later sold all my phones, threw some more $ and got nexus 6, planning on staying with it for 2 years :)

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site

Measly humans...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I usually upgrade annually! Sold my GS3 for $175... Used that towards my nexus 5, sold that for $250 towards my nexus 6! Usually Put $50 - 75 a paycheck aside for whatever comes up! Usually pull from that savings for whatever I need....

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I was certain I was going to get the S6 Edge, it was just a sweet device. Then I started to wonder will we get 128GB versions, is the S6 worth that price point (I have an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB). I also considered getting a Note 4 and the Nexus 6. I went to AT&T checked out the Note 4, Note Edge and Nexus. Note Edge didn't feel right unless you put a case on it, Note Edge & Note 4 are great devices and Samsung has upped their game, and I then looked at the Nexus 6. 5.96" display QHD, AMOLED and then only 32GB at AT&T or any carrier for that matter.

So, I did what anyone else would do. I ordered mine from Motorola and decided to get a Moto 360 as well and will be selling my iPhone 6 Plus off. I really liked the AT&T Next Plan, I could trade up about every 6 months pay the difference and move on. But I kept saying what do I like about iOS, oh quick updates without carrier intervention. So I love Android and I love a clean OS experience so I got the 64GB Midnight Blue (should have gotten the white, I know) but hey that is what skins are for. You can make your phone any color you want for cheap.

So a Nexus affords you something no other Android OEM can offer (Motorola is pretty close) a clean, stock and carrier free device. Waiting 6 months or longer after the next OS releases and forgetting about the incremental updates that improve on it in the meantime.

Go BIG, Go NEXUS or GO HOME :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I was certain I was going to get the S6 Edge, it was just a sweet device. Then I started to wonder will we get 128GB versions, is the S6 worth that price point (I have an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB). I also considered getting a Note 4 and the Nexus 6. I went to AT&T checked out the Note 4, Note Edge and Nexus. Note Edge didn't feel right unless you put a case on it, Note Edge & Note 4 are great devices and Samsung has upped their game, and I then looked at the Nexus 6. 5.96" display QHD, AMOLED and then only 32GB at AT&T or any carrier for that matter.

So, I did what anyone else would do. I ordered mine from Motorola and decided to get a Moto 360 as well and will be selling my iPhone 6 Plus off. I really liked the AT&T Next Plan, I could trade up about every 6 months pay the difference and move on. But I kept saying what do I like about iOS, oh quick updates without carrier intervention. So I love Android and I love a clean OS experience so I got the 64GB Midnight Blue (should have gotten the white, I know) but hey that is what skins are for. You can make your phone any color you want for cheap.

So a Nexus affords you something no other Android OEM can offer (Motorola is pretty close) a clean, stock and carrier free device. Waiting 6 months or longer after the next OS releases and forgetting about the incremental updates that improve on it in the meantime.

Go BIG, Go NEXUS or GO HOME :)
Wow! I was sure you'd be getting the S6 Edge. I've had a Nexus. It was just so huge that I had issues using it. I keep looking back at it, though as I just love a clean install and quick updates. But there's something about the Edge that I just have to check out first.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

Just in case you pop back in here to view the comments of your post, I'd say wait til mid April after the newer devices are released,the reviews are out, and you have a chance to use the new devices in person and then just buy an iPhone 6 plus.

Orrrrr because a lot of us get that new phone fever,just buy it.
Buy now regret later. Later dude.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

Some people just like phones and $700 isn't a big expense for them.

I can afford a new one every 6 months (barely), but I don't see a big enough improvement from one flagship to the next to justify replacing a perfectly good phone.

I have an S4 and Nexus 4. I'll replace the S4 with the S6 and hopefully keep it 3-4 years (assuming I can pay a reasonable fee to replace the battery).

I planned to replace my Nexus 4 with the 6 on Verizon, but as time passes and a decision needs to be made, I think I'll just wait, which is what i tend to do when I'm undecided (I don't buy anything on impulse)!

I want to see all the 2015 flagships, specifically the Moto X. Unless that blows me away, I'll wait until September for the new Nexus and probably get that.
I don't root my phone so the closer to stock I can get, the better. BT the Google launcher and now Samsung allowing some bloat removal, I won't be in the market for a new phone after this year until 2018.

USB-C and battery life are the only two things that'll persuade me otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol