nexus 6 turns off at 5% battery mark

ifellasleep

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
My nexus 6 turns off around the 5% battery warning mark is this normal? This is the second faulty unit. First one was giving me audio drop outs and this is the second device to turn off before completely dead. I don't want to have to go through warranty again unless something major happens

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes, it's normal. Running the battery down to 0% is hard on it and can really shorten the life of the battery. For best battery life it's best to avoid draining it below 20% or so if possible. To prevent battery damage devices normally shut down around 10%.

Many devices may show they run below that but probably the battery meter is purposely lying about that a bit to keep from confusing users. IOW let 'em think it ran to 1% if it keeps them from thinking the device is defective. The battery meter on your Nexus 6 is just being more honest than some.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, it should turn off at about 20% (which you should never let it get to anyway - 40% is about as low as you should let a lithium battery get to if you don't want to support the battery and repair industries).

If you drain a lithium battery until the voltage at the terminals is 0.0, it's not really completely dead - it has about 0.1% charge - not enough to keep it connected to the terminals, so you're not measuring battery voltage, you're measuring the "voltage" of a couple of small metal tabs. So you can't charge it because you can't connect to it. Charging a fully discharged lithium battery (if you could fully discharge it) would result in a fairly decent explosion. (Not like the same amount of C4, but not something you'd want to be anywhere near. It's not that hot, though - what's a few hundred little pieces of 375F metal burning into your face?)

The ideal charge point, for maximum battery life, is 50%. 40% won't shorten the life by much. 5%? If it lasts 6 months, you're lucky. (And with the N6 it's not a $4 battery you pop the back off to replace, it's shop labor plus the price of the battery.)

Read our guide, The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I can't think of any obvious reason that important basic facts about battery charging should not be presented to us on our devices. At 50% charge remaining, for example, the user could be notified, and on opening the notification, be told that for optimum battery life, recharging now would be a good idea; with a warning about avoiding heavy discharges etc. I'm sure that I myself have done damage to the batteries of several phones - reducing their capacity - through discharging too much, before I learnt the importance of not doing this.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995