Since 5.1 during calls my screen goes black, and does not wake up until the other person hangs up.

gcabroad

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Since 5.1 during calls my screen goes black, and does not wake up until the other person hangs up.

It's like it thinks I have it up to my ear, but I don't. So I can't hang up, I can't use the dial pad, I can't see alerts, nothing.

I have heard it could be my screen protector, bit I didn't have this problem on 5.0.1, and I really don't want to through out my $60 zagg glass screen protector.

Any ideas? Anyone heard comments from google on the matter?

Posted via the Android Central App

keerf

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site

It's like it thinks I have it up to my ear, but I don't. So I can't hang up, I can't use the dial pad, I can't see alerts, nothing.

I have heard it could be my screen protector, bit I didn't have this problem on 5.0.1, and I really don't want to through out my $60 zagg glass screen protector.

I had the same issue, and it was because of the Zagg protector. I took it off, and it started working again without issue. I'm not sure if something changed with the sensors firmware wise, but once I took off that protector it worked without issue.

Granted, I'm not saying it will fix your issue, just giving my experience.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Apparently screen protectors that cover the proximity sensor are causing issues on 5.1. Mine doesn't cover sensor and I have no issue, but my friend had the same problem.

dc5pat

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Had the same issue. 5.1 didn't like my glass screen protector. Took it off and was back to normal.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
The following was posted on XDA four months ago when people were having problems with the proximity sensor. I don't know if it will work now, with Android 5.1, but it might be worth trying at least. Please let us know if you try it and what the results are.

Guys I think I may have a fix for everyone out there I just stumbled across this has my proximity sensor was not working either until now. What you want to do is go into accessibility under settings and check power button to end call . Somehow when I check this my proximity sensor started working correctly again also after that I unchecked it so put it back to normal and it is still working flawlessly. I believe when you check that it recalibrates the sensor. So could someone else please check this and see if it works for them.. ( I wish I would have discovered this before I lifted up my screen protector like 10 times and messed up most of the edges smh.... )

Also if you do not have anyone to call to check to see if it is working you can use this app

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...ter.proxfinder&token=jSHAMJkr

P.S. I think after this others posted that, after changing to power button to end call, they rebooted before unchecking the box to use the power button to end call.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
The following was posted on XDA four months ago when people were having problems with the proximity sensor. I don't know if it will work now, with Android 5.1, but it might be worth trying at least. Please let us know if you try it and what the results are.

Guys I think I may have a fix for everyone out there I just stumbled across this has my proximity sensor was not working either until now. What you want to do is go into accessibility under settings and check power button to end call . Somehow when I check this my proximity sensor started working correctly again also after that I unchecked it so put it back to normal and it is still working flawlessly. I believe when you check that it recalibrates the sensor. So could someone else please check this and see if it works for them.. ( I wish I would have discovered this before I lifted up my screen protector like 10 times and messed up most of the edges smh.... )

Also if you do not have anyone to call to check to see if it is working you can use this app

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...ter.proxfinder&token=DsKzYk6P

P.S. I think after this others posted that, after changing to power button to end call, they rebooted before unchecking the box to use the power button to end call.

Link doesn't work.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Ever since my 5.1 update, I've been having this issue.

While in a call, I'm unable to turn on my screen. I had a crack in my invisible shield, and there was some air between the shield and the sensor, so I decided to remove it and see if that was the issue, and get my warranty replacement. After removing the screen protector, my phone operated as it should.

Fast forward 4 days, I've received my replacement. I've placed the new shield on, and I'm still having the same issue. Due to the curved edges of the sides, the shield already has air between it and the sensor, but even when it didn't, the issue persists as long as the invisible shield is on the phone.

I am stuck....as I don't want to use another kind of shield, but I don't want to have a naked screen.

THE FIX LISTED ABOVE WORKS!!! It doesn't work until you restart the phone.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
First, glad it worked for you Sed. All credit goes to irock1985, who originally posted this at XDA. The link was part of irock's original post and may be old now. It was just the link to use to see if the proximity sensor was working (in the event you had no one available to call you so you could check it out), so not really important. Here's a link to the thread at XDA. The post is #322

Tempered Glass Screen Protectors? - Pg. 33 | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

If others are helped by this information, please spread the word. A lot of people are taking expensive TGSPs off their phones when they might not need to do so.

Frank Romano

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I have a Google Nexus 6 AT&T and updated to 5.1 yesterday. I had the same problem with the screen going dark and unresponsive during calls. I tried your suggestion and removed the screen protector. Problem solved! I was using a glass protector but don't remember the brand.
Thanks again for the tip.

trentmc0

May 8, 2015
Visit site
> What you want to do is go into accessibility under settings and check power button to end call .

This worked for me, thanks!

(What did not work: go into safe mode, delete most of my apps. Also did not work: remove my phone protector.)

Mikael Johnsen

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a galaxy s4 on 5.1.1 CM12.1 with the same problem, tried the button to end call thing, didn't work. Is there a way to disable the proximity sensor with or without root? Assuming it would fix it. (The proximity finder app reports only 0 cm, also tried "proximity fix" app)

dgrobe2112

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
> What you want to do is go into accessibility under settings and check power button to end call .

This worked for me, thanks!

(What did not work: go into safe mode, delete most of my apps. Also did not work: remove my phone protector.)

This didnt work for me. i even called Zagg.. and they told me, the new Android 5.1, messed up the sensitivy, and they suggested this fix. but it didnt work. he said if it doesnt work, he would suggest to return the item for a refund.

Dharmendra Makwana

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I was facing the same issue, screen used go blank the moment i used to hit the dial key or answer any in coming calls! It was so frustrating and annoying! I had the tampered glass as a screen protector and after reading to threads here, i just pulled that off n bingo! it's working great now. Thank u pple for putting up the info. I was about to do the factory resetting n other laborious tasks! hahahaha! :):D

Shivam Agrawal1

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm also facing the same issue. I don't have the screen protector/guard on my mobile.
Phone is working fine for only 5-10 minutes after reboot.

During the call I tried to wake up the phone by :
1. To connect my phone through charger, display comes up but if I put the phone again to my ear, issue persists.
2. Tap to the screen for 5-10 seconds at the time of call establishment, it will wakeup the screen for 2 seconds.

shivsi

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Yup, I had the same issue with 5.1.1 lately.
What you can do, though, is install an app called "Proximity Fix" and your problem shall be solved. Do note that your android ought to be rooted for this.
There are a couple of non root apps too, but I'm not positive about them as I haven't installed/used them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar