I can't believe how amazing 5.1 is

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My phone is an order of magnitude more fun to use. Everything is instantaneous. Apps open without any lag. Typing is suddenly buttery smooth, light-speed response. There is no more hanging of the default camera and cell phone apps. I even switched the animation scales to 0.25, and there's no stuttering.

I'm just confused what they did, software-wise, to yield such a huge difference. Never seen an improvement anywhere near this in any software upgrade. I'm now ready to recommend this phone without hesitation as the best smartphone on the market.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Coming from the note 4 as a daily device and an iPhone 6 plus the nexus is a pleasure to use. It rivals and in many cases surpasses the iPhone in smoothness and aesthetics. I can't believe what I dealt with using the note 4, which I love, but pure lollipop is great. Glad you enjoy it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Android 5.1 Brings Performance Improvements to Nexus 6 | Androidheadlines.com

In Android 5.0 the Nexus 6 would only activate cores the system thought it needed, keeping some of the quad-core CPU offline for assumed battery savings. Android 5.1 keeps all four cores active and waiting for instruction, giving the system better means to distribute tasks evenly.

This even distribution is making plenty of users notice a much quicker Lollipop this time around, even for the beastly Nexus 6.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I believe I read that all four cores are available immediately versus ramping up to using them all so it is more responsive. I am impressed they were able to do that while maintaining or even improving battery life!

Posted via Nexus 6!

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
My phone is an order of magnitude more fun to use. Everything is instantaneous. Apps open without any lag. Typing is suddenly buttery smooth, light-speed response. There is no more hanging of the default camera and cell phone apps. I even switched the animation scales to 0.25, and there's no stuttering.

I'm just confused what they did, software-wise, to yield such a huge difference. Never seen an improvement anywhere near this in any software upgrade. I'm now ready to recommend this phone without hesitation as the best smartphone on the market.

1 big reason why the Nexus 6 runs much better is because the 5.1 update causes ALL 4 cores of the cpu to operate at the same time. Also the Nexus 6 now uses memory better. No more "memory leak." I can't get over how much better the Nexus 6 is now after the 5.1 update. Alright Google... let's move on to the NEXT Android OS update!

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
1 big reason why the Nexus 6 runs much better is because the 5.1 update causes ALL 4 cores of the cpu to operate at the same time. Also the Nexus 6 now uses memory better. No more "memory leak." I can't get over how much better the Nexus 6 is now after the 5.1 update. Alright Google... let's move on to the NEXT Android OS update!

I agree totally! But about the next update... Baby steps.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's actually working now since I removed the glass screen protector. Thank you for your suggestion!

Sent from my Nexus 6