Smart Lock Trusted Places Fail

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any luck with this? Mine works until I leave home and return, when I have to reset it to get it to work again. Trusted Bluetooth works fine. Running 5.1. I've tried resetting my home location, toggling on and off, etc. No permanent solution. Bug with 5.1? With Play Services?

DavePDX

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue until I read a post (don't remember where or who unfortunately) where a user added his next-door neighbor's address in as well as a trusted place. I tried that and now I don't have the issue. I was thinking that the gps lock on location may not be all that good inside my home.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the post Dave is referring to is under the Lollipop 5.0 section. I seem to remember reading something about that, too.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Trusted Places hasn't worked for me in about 2 weeks. I've tried all the fixes and workarounds I've seen. I may just reset my phone anyway to try to trigger the 5.1 update. Hopefully THAT would fix it, along with a few other quirks.

AC App
Nexus 6

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I wish they would add trusted WiFi. Adding neighboring locations doesn't work for me. Frustrating, as I find this a very useful feature.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I wish they would add trusted WiFi. Adding neighboring locations doesn't work for me. Frustrating, as I find this a very useful feature.

Agreed. Smart Lock Trusted Places doesn't keep phones unlocked on my Nexus 5 either. Google Maps has a error on my home address that is off by about 120 Yards from the address it think I am. So since I can't delete the Home location to use the Other Places option only my phone could unlock in another place based on where Google Maps thinks my true address is on their maps. I just turned off the Smart Lock since it was wasting battery and more trouble than it was worth to keep the phone unlocked.

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I got Trusted Places working from home on both my N4 and N6 by following these steps. (neither were working with my home address)

First, turn location mode to "battery saving". (shuts off GPS radio)

Then, Security -> Smart Lock -> Trusted Places -> Add -> Click CANCEL for "Improve location accuracy?" to keep GPS off

Drag the red pointer just outside the inner blue circle until "Select this location" reads latitude and longitude coordinates. In my case, my front lawn worked for this.

Pick that location, call it whatever you want, and Trusted Places from your front lawn (and home) should work now. Even when you turn high accuracy GPS location back on.

mestar_matt

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Smart lock was working fine until today. Neither trusted places nor devices are being recognized. Running 5.1 on a Nexus 5. Tried the usual tricks with no luck. Also tried reinstalling Google Play Services. No change. Anyone else having a problem with both?

kcalmol

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion...unfortunately didn't work for me. Again, I feel like trusted WiFi would be so much easier and more reliable.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
The latest Google Play Services (7.0.99) broke Trusted Places. This has been confirmed by Google. There are many lengthy Product Forums discussions. Any "fixes" posted here won't work.

The only temporary fix is to add multiple locations manually near to and around your chosen trusted place. That will keep the bug at bay until Google can get their act together.

Posted via the Android Central App

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The latest Google Play Services (7.0.99) broke Trusted Places. This has been confirmed by Google. There are many lengthy Product Forums discussions. Any "fixes" posted here won't work.

The only temporary fix is to add multiple locations manually near to and around your chosen trusted place. That will keep the bug at bay until Google can get their act together.

Posted via the Android Central App

At least they know about it...

AC App
Nexus 6

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Well, Trusted Places is once again not working for me for quite some time. What's the damn point? Has it been equally inconsistent for others over the life of the feature?

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
It almost never unlocks smartly anymore! Asks for my PIN even when I'm at home, which is a Trusted Place. I've toggled on and off, checked and updated my home location.

I think the only time it seems to work is just after a reboot when I'm at home. It'll bypass my PIN until I leave home. When I return home though it will still ask for the PIN.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have it set to use my work WiFi, home WiFi, car Bluetooth and watch Bluetooth as trusted devices and my work and home GPS as trusted places. The only time I have to put a pin in is after 4 hours is non use like in the mornings when I wake up or sometimes at work.