Where's a good beginner's guide to sideloading??

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I haven't flashed or sideloaded anything in a few years! Seems like every guide I find glosses over one thing or another, or assumes that I already have or know a certain procedure or piece of software.

I'm about done with waiting for the OTA, and just want to sideload 5.1. Not flash a factory image.

Whose got a line on a comprehensive guide geared to folks who don't know that kind of stuff yet?

AC App
Nexus 6

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
here is a good video that shows it. I used one of his videos years ago to learn it. I am also on ATT and fell i got better results with the D update package. I tried both D and flashed E and then flashed back to D.

https://youtu.be/ZNEXCY-wHpw

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
oddly enough, I think Android Central's walk through is right on. It has one for flashing factory images and then one for flashing OTA zips, and they have the OTA links.

Shamu to you too *splash*

NYRico#AC

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I have been researching this as well and want to ask a question, what is the difference between the OTA zip and the factory images? It appears as though the OTA is received as a zip file and therefore can be side loaded, the factory images have to be flashed. I was looking for the LMY47i zip files and couldn't find them, only the LMY47M, is this because LMY47i has not been sent out as an OTA yet for the Nexus 6? When I finally break down and side load, I want to side load the latest files.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been researching this as well and want to ask a question, what is the difference between the OTA zip and the factory images? It appears as though the OTA is received as a zip file and therefore can be side loaded, the factory images have to be flashed. I was looking for the LMY47i zip files and couldn't find them, only the LMY47M, is this because LMY47i has not been sent out as an OTA yet for the Nexus 6? When I finally break down and side load, I want to side load the latest files.

An OTA is just that, an upgrade from a certain firmware to another updated firmware. It is just the same as getting the OTA on your phone over the air. It will update you to the newest package for your device. It is very specific and you must only use the from:to package for your device. It does not wipe the device and you do not need an unlocked boot loader. Flashing a factory image is flashing a completely stock ROM or image for the device. You can flash forward and backward and sideways. I.e. if you sideload the 5.1 package to D you cannot then sideload to E or M because the Update package was most likely from 5.0.1 or 5.0.2. When flashing factory images you can do all in any order etc. Wugs toolkit now has a way to flash without wiping the device I hear. You used to need an unlocked boot loader which does wipe your device which is why many who have a Nexus unlock the boot loader before setting up the device when it is new.

Both are easy to do and both hit quickly after google releases updates. I guess flashing a factory image is a bit more flexible but sidleoading is super easy as well.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with either!

Posted via Nexus 6!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been researching this as well and want to ask a question, what is the difference between the OTA zip and the factory images? It appears as though the OTA is received as a zip file and therefore can be side loaded, the factory images have to be flashed.
1) OTA means Over the air. If you sideload, it's the same file as you download with an OTA update, but it's a sideload update. (The difference in terminology is "how did it get onto your phone".

A factory image isn't just the changes from what you have to the new version, leaving all your data intact, it's reinstalling the entire ROM, with none of your data - it's "out-of-the-box".

Writing anything to the non-volatile storage of the device is flashing, since an old name for that type of storage was flash ROM. So even if you install a keyboard zip file, you're flashing the keyboard. An OTA flashes an update.

The main difference here is the update vs. full ROM. Updating a phone doesn't (shouldn't - but unfortunately occasionally does) delete any of your data, files, settings, downloaded apps, etc.

gadgetgirl3

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I did the sim card pull factory reset trick and it worked.... upgraded to 5.1 D!

Edit: I think D must be a European version! I have Aeroplane Mode instead of Airplane, a Torch instead of Flashlight, and Bin instead of Trash.
Edit 2: Disregard. I must have accidentally selected English - United Kingdom in the set up! All is well with 5.1.

Last edited:

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Wugs toolkit guys. Forget about tutorials, just run the automated driver setup and then tell it what to do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos