Browsers: change the webpage background to a dark screen with Sepia-colored letters

JustCreepin

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
The number one thing that frustrates me about most Internet Browsers is the inability to change the settings to have a black webpage background with white letters. White backgrounds are so hurtful on the eyes, especially with a big screen device like the N6. It's additionally a source of bigger battery drain to have bright white pages. Now, for those who remember, changing this used to be possible with the stock "Internet Browser" that came on the Android devices.

I currently use "UC Browser" due to it's ability to change the webpage background to a dark screen with Sepia-colored letters.

Are there any other Browsers that do this or present this ability? And I'm not talking about dimming the entire screen in a poorly implemented "Night Mode" (a correctly implemented one would completely switch the text/background without affecting images).

I'm constantly re-evaluating what I use and would love to have alternatives.

An additional bonus is the VERY strong built-in ad-blocking capabilities of "UC Browser". It completely blocks all injected ads. Go to AndroidCentral using Chrome and you'll see an injected box by "GoogleAdServices" pop-up at the bottom of your screen. The same page with "UC Browser" (with ad-blocking activated) shows nothing but the webpage. I like to have Ads blocked to save bandwidth/data usage, so that's an important feature. What Browsers (or specific extension) blocks these types of Ads (like the ones from Google)? I like Ghostery Browser for this but you can't export Bookmarks (why, why, why, why, why????????).

I've tried the Adblock Plus extension with FireFox, but the injected Ads keep showing up. Am I just not setting these types of extensions up correctly?

I'm definitely not shilling for UC Browser, but I would love to have alternatives.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
If UC Browser is so good, why are you looking for a replacement? (I'm not being sarcastic---I really want to know, as I have been considering using UC Browser.)

JustCreepin

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Good question. It doesn't resize/zoom pages as well as Chrome/Firefox and sometimes page colors/formatting is messed up. Then I open up the same page in Chrome and it's perfect...well, except for Ads, sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 6

JustCreepin

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I guess what I'm waiting for is someone to tell me, "Chrome/Firefox can do exactly what you want and here's how..."

That way I'd have the best of all worlds.

Sent from my Nexus 6

JustCreepin

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Firefox will do this with the appropriately named add-on 'Black background with white text'

ZOMG. Perfect! Thanks a lot! I had tried a few other FF extensions a while back but nothing worked as well as this does. Guess I somehow didn't look hard enough.

Now about those injected Ads....

Sent from my Nexus 6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol