Nexus 6 or wait for Motorola's Nexus 6 lookalike?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You should wait...and when that device comes out you should still wait for the next one after that....and so on....and so on. Buy or don't. There will be always something better coming soon after.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'd still get the nexus. The spec bump doesn't seem so great and it won't get updates like the nexus and will have Verizon bloat on it. Besides I still haven't heard good reviews for the snapdragon 810.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 6 will still be a good phone 2 years from now. No reason to wait. A bump in specs isn't going to change your life or the way you use a phone.

JET4

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably get the Nexus 6, I just thought the bigger battery ( 4000 mAh ) would not have to charge so often. Like you say the Nexus 6 will get updates a lot quicker, didn't think about that. Thanks

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
A bigger battery is always nice, but the N6 has solid battery life, and I'm definitely not impressed with the Snapdragon 810.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a bit misleading to give the standard "if you keep waiting for the next phone then you will never buy anything, hence buy today". It's probably fair to say that no one would recommend buying an LG G3 today, since the G4 will be announced officially very shortly. While this example is extreme, it shows there can be value in delaying a purchase.

Back to OP's problem though, there doesn't seem to be much new evidence regarding a new and better N6 coming out soon. Depending on your confidence level in this rumor, you might decide it's worth waiting a couple of months before getting a new phone.

I wonder though if we wouldn't have heard more if the rumor were true.

I was also hesitating getting the N6 because I was hoping for a 64 bit processor, but now I actually don't care. I'm very happy with the phone, and provided the battery life doesn't deteriorate too much I hope I can keep it for about three years.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I think it's a bit misleading to give the standard "if you keep waiting for the next phone then you will never buy anything, hence buy today".

It's not misleading at all. It's the truth. You always hear the question "should I wait?". It's not like the next incremental "upgrade" is going to change your life. If you are buying flagship devices that are only 6 months old, you most likely are not going to regret it. I had the Moto X 2013 version, and the only reason I got rid of it is because I wanted a bigger screen. Other than that, it did everything just fine. People put too much emphasis on specs, instead of what it can do for you.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are buying flagship devices that are only 6 months old, you most likely are not going to regret it.

I agree with this. However I disagree if the device is say 9 months old. Sure, a 9 month old flagship will serve me well for the next couple of years. But by waiting 3 months, I can get a device that can potentially last an extra year.

Assuming, of course, that people stick with their phones for quite a long time. For someone changing device every year or so then this is probably not so relevant.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
buy new a Nexus on launch day and upgrade every 24 months. skip every other generation. stick to a schedule. this way you stay current without pissssssssssing away money. life is a delicate balance. you must find that balance.

Powarun

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what you want, you get a Nexus for the pure Android & software upgrades. The Droid line up has great battery life, nearly pure upgrades with some Motorola features that opinions can state improves the experience, and the droid line up is sketchy on upgrades to Android's OS. Example Droid Turbo still doesn't have Lollipop.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you want, you get a Nexus for the pure Android & software upgrades. The Droid line up has great battery life, nearly pure upgrades with some Motorola features that opinions can state improves the experience, and the droid line up is sketchy on upgrades to Android's OS. Example Droid Turbo still doesn't have Lollipop.

Those are all good points, but again, it's not clear that the Snapdragon 810 is actually an upgrade over the 805. Likewise, the Adreno 430 is only a modest GPU upgrade over the 420 in the N6, and considering the thermal throttling issues of the 810 I'd be hesitant to say there is a legitimate spec bump in that rumored phone (except for battery size).

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
buy new a Nexus on launch day and upgrade every 24 months. skip every other generation. stick to a schedule. this way you stay current without pissssssssssing away money. life is a delicate balance. you must find that balance.

I agree with the schedule, unless you have such unlimited funds that you can indulge in everything that comes along. In fact, personally, I wouldn't mind keeping a phone 3 or more years. But I'm not that enthusiastic about buying the new phone on launch day. I prefer to sit back and see what people have to say about it after it's been out a month or two. Just my preference.

pterrell

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
What do you guys think about the nexus 6 vs the s6? That's where my struggle is at. S6 is newer and had better hardware on paper but the nexus is a Google device...

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Even though the s6 has better specs? I've never owned a Samsung or nexus device before so both are new lines to me

You most likely will never notice the spec difference in everyday use. The Nexus 6 has some pretty awesome specs. I'd always go for the Nexus 6 personally.