Newb here - smart unlock and ambient display questions

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi, newb here, please go easy on me. :)

I recently bought the new Nexus 6 and absolutely love it. I'm now spending a lot of time customizing it to my own liking.

I have a couple of questions to which I wasn't able to find answers so far.

• Smart lock. This mostly works great, except I noticed that sometimes (it seems after a long period of inactivity) it seems to "forget" that its in a trusted location, and then asks me for my swipe unlock pattern. This mostly happens after I set interruptions to None (indefinitely) before I go to bed. In the morning, the phone asks me to use the swipe unlock pattern.
  • I really like ambient display. I'd also like it to show in landscape when I pick up the device and hold it in landscape orientation. I've already installed Ultimate Rotation Control and I use Nova Launcher, so I get both the home screen and the lock screen to rotate to landscape, but I can't figure out if this is possible for ambient display. I suspect maybe not (yet) as it's a relatively new feature.

I'd be grateful for any advice,

Many thanks,

Vlad.

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
My Nexus 6 and 7 do the same thing with smart lock, I think it's a "feature" so if you leave your device somewhere by accident it will eventually lock so if someone finds it they don't have access to your stuff, not sure though and I haven't seen anything documented about the feature having a timeout setting.

For ambient display, I don't think it's possible to have it display in landscape mode, at least without using a custom rom.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Smart Lock since it first became available - I guess since I got the Nexus 6 back in November, 2014 - and I have had this happen to me quite often, especially first thing in the morning.

Well, today I turned on my Nexus 6 and found this notification:

Screenshot.jpg

I guess the phone has always done this (lock after 4 hours) but it never bothered to issue a notification before. Something new?

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for posting that. I've never seen that notification on mine. What build number are you running? I'm on LMY47D.

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Apparently it is a Google Play Services thing; of that I am currently on 7.5.71.

How did you find out it's related to that? I'm on 7.3.29. How can I update (if at all)?

Perhaps it's to do with your location/carrier... I'm in the UK, and I'm using an unlocked device purchased from Amazon.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
How did you find out it's related to that? I'm on 7.3.29. How can I update (if at all)?

Perhaps it's to do with your location/carrier... I'm in the UK, and I'm using an unlocked device purchased from Amazon.

Another user suggested that it is new with Google Play Services 7.5.x. Seems reasonable to me since it (the notification) only just began for me. You can try visiting the Play Store, clicking My Apps, scrolling until you find Google Play Services, and then see if it will allow you to force update. If not, you may just need to wait for Google to push the update to your phone.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Google Play services is updated automatically and not through the Play Store. You can sideload the apk or use a neat trick. Try this. Download the Android wear app. Don't worry, you don't need a watch for this to work. This is the link in the Play Store.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.google.android.wearable.app&token=-pByH21a

After it's installed reboot your phone to make the process quicker. After a couple of minutes Google play services will be updated to the latest version. Check in settings - apps and it should be 7.5.xx.

Now you can uninstall Android wear.

vladman

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Just tried this and it worked instantly. As soon as I installed Android Wear, Google Play Services got updated, without a reboot. Cool, thanks!

Now, what exactly does this update bring (other than that notification about smart lock)?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Just tried this and it worked instantly. As soon as I installed Android Wear, Google Play Services got updated, without a reboot. Cool, thanks!

Now, what exactly does this update bring (other than that notification about smart lock)?

I have the latest Google services and I only got that message the 1st night my phone was automatically locked after 4 hours. Once I dismissed it, I never got it again. I don't think this comes back every night. I think once u acknowledge the message, it's done. At least for me, I saw it once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith