Just an Observation: Activating a Nexus 6 on Sprint

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Everyone knows that you can activate a Non-Verizon Nexus 6 on Verizon as long as you already have an active Verizon sim card.

However, I thought Sprint had more regulations and had to actually have the device whitelisted in their database in order to activate it.

I currently have a Sprint purchased Nexus 6 32 GB that I am using on Sprint. However, I also have a Nexus 6 64 GB that I purchased and used with TMobile.

I've also used the 64 GB Nexus 6 with Verizon, using an already active Verizon sim.

However, I didn't think I could use it on Sprint, since I didn't think a Tmobile Nexus 6 would be in Sprint's database.

I was wrong. Sprint's website recognized the TMobile IMEI and a customer service rep said it was OK to activate.

Just wanted to share my results. This may be a good sign that all variants of the Nexus 6 may be able to be activated on Sprint.

If next year's Nexus has multiple storage options, I'll plan on getting the highest one, regardless of what carrier it comes from.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I actually did just the opposite. I purchased my N6 at Sprint, then brought it over to T Mobile. It was a seamless transition.

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Is this unique to the N6 due to its factory unlocked and band status? I've used Verizon phones on T-Mobile a ton due to their unlocked status but never found Sprint/Verizon or Sprint/T-Mobile compatibility.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Is this unique to the N6 due to its factory unlocked and band status? I've used Verizon phones on T-Mobile a ton due to their unlocked status but never found Sprint/Verizon or Sprint/T-Mobile compatibility.

I was surprised because CDMA carriers don't typically play nice with phones purchased from GSM carriers or even with phones purchased from other CDMA carriers.

I was checking online and someone posted that they were able to get a Verizon Iphone 5 activated on Sprint. However, I wasn't able to confirm and will take it as a rumor.

When Sprint confirmed that my Tmobile Nexus 6 could be activated on Sprint, I was surprised.

I already knew it could be used on AT&T and Verizon, but wasn't expecting Sprint.

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I was surprised because CDMA carriers don't typically play nice with phones purchased from GSM carriers or even with phones purchased from other CDMA carriers.

I was checking online and someone posted that they were able to get a Verizon Iphone 5 activated on Sprint. However, I wasn't able to confirm and will take it as a rumor.

When Sprint confirmed that my Tmobile Nexus 6 could be activated on Sprint, I was surprised.

I already knew it could be used on AT&T and Verizon, but wasn't expecting Sprint.

Same here. I've been one of those crazies who constantly switches phones so I've used every carrier and have never been able to get GSM and CDMA carriers to play nice. I always see people on Craigslist/Ebay offering unlocked Sprint phones that you can use on Verizon or vice versa. I've always just chalked it up to misinformation and have never been able to replicate the results. I'm sure it's possible to flash the phones and get those results but that seems like more hassle than it's worth. Not sure why anyone would ever go through the trouble unless they had to. It's not like just using a regular unlocked device. I do believe that the N6 is just one of those devices that came with support for a million different bands.

Thanks for the tip.

Bighomey1

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious to find some truth to what a sprint rep told me today when I called. My n6 is slow sending sms messages. The guy flat out told me that sprint is not compatible with the n6. Judging by this thread I don't see the same issues.

BargainingJew

Banned
Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious to find some truth to what a sprint rep told me today when I called. My n6 is slow sending sms messages. The guy flat out told me that sprint is not compatible with the n6. Judging by this thread I don't see the same issues.

The rep was flat out wrong.

Posted via the Android Central App

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

Yes the rep was wrong. However, I did a little research and it sounds like there was an issue with slow SMS on Sprint.

It was advised to switch the default network to 3G and, apparently this was going to be fixed in a future update.

See this link for details:

Nexus 6 on Sprint - Text Messaging Slow / Fa… | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

I use Google Voice for all texting (data connection only) so I can't comment directly.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes the rep was wrong. However, I did a little research and it sounds like there was an issue with slow SMS on Sprint.

It was advised to switch the default network to 3G and, apparently this was going to be fixed in a future update.

See this link for details:

Nexus 6 on Sprint - Text Messaging Slow / Fa… | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

I use Google Voice for all texting (data connection only) so I can't comment directly.

There was an issue. I believe it was fixed with 5.1 I had slow SMS, to no SMS issues with sprint in the beginning with the N6. Also dupes, and quads with SMS. After that update though, everything has been fine.

Posted via the Android Central App