southjersey786

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Getting the update as every device does on Apple should be the new standard and Google should make that their norm, if you don't care when you get your updates then fine, but nexus devices should always have their updates first.

Posted via the Android Central App

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Waiting.jpg
Waiting for pure Android update.

If what I read is correct. Depending on which sim is in your phone.....it could never update.
Stuck on 5.0.1....forever.
Lovely

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
1. Google had to give in to carriers *a little bit* so that a Nexus could get some features - like WiFi calling - it wouldn't get otherwise.

2. To get the Nexus line carried in stores. That way you can get it in your hands and try it a little before buying it.

3. Getting the Nexus line in stores means carrier financing, like T-Mobile's interest-free deal, makes a Nexus affordable for more people.

4. 1+2+3 = More features, hands-on trial, financing and better sales. It's still a Nexus, still runs vanilla Android.

All that, but I might get the next update a little slower. To me, that's an excellent deal.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It might of been part of the deal Google made with the carriers to have them carry the phone in the first place; after all, we all know Verizon and AT&T like everything locked down, bloated and under their control. The Nexus line completely goes against that, so they are not very willing to sell them. Verizon is especially notorious for that, from what I've read.

In fact, that might be why Google allowed T-Mobile to implement their WiFi calling at the Lollipop system level; they've always been generous with Google and with Nexus-- for it embodies what T-Mobile has been pushing for lately: contract free, no restrictions.

Who's to say that Google won't consolidate all the different builds and their carrier specific tweaks later on down the road into one universal build, and have the carriers push that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 on MetroPCS using Tapatalk

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Who's to say that Google won't consolidate all the different builds and their carrier specific tweaks later on down the road into one universal build, and have the carriers push that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 on MetroPCS using Tapatalk

True.
As we all have witnessed: nothing is forever. Some things last longer than others though.
Having bought my Nexus in February from Moto thinking of guaranteed pure Android updates.
Didn't think it would go asunder within three months..
It has been running well.
After deleting most AT&T apps it even feels almost pure...again.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
If you want to get an update the same time as everyone else then get an iPhone. I don't understand why people get so worked up about updates..

Simple. Because as much as Google attempted to mitigate update angst by moving some API's into apps that can be updated via Play Store, there are always very cool features that people get excited to have after they get announced that are still only available at the OS level. This is tech, people get excited about new tech, that's obvious on every tech community so get over it because it's always been that way and always will. Don't take my word for it, just watch the huge spike in "did you get the update?" threads right after every release announcement.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
By putting it on all carriers you do splinter the nexus Creed of fast updates because of the carrier needs wifi calling advanced calling and other tweets. Let's not let this from the best part of the Nexus 6 which is that it's still the best phone on the planet so enjoy.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone gotten the update on the unlocked version of the nexus 6?

Received my update yesterday around 5PM EST. I'm running a Nexus 64GB model purchased from Moto and I popped in a VZW SIM. I had build LMY47D and now I have build LMY47Z.

southjersey786

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Received my update yesterday around 5PM EST. I'm running a Nexus 64GB model purchased from Moto and I popped in a VZW SIM. I had build LMY47D and now I have build LMY47Z.

I bought the nexus 6 from the Google play store and use it with a AT&T Sim, should I have gotten the update yet?

eaglesprey

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Received the notification yesterday here in Hamilton, Ontario Canada... International version I gather, 64gig direct from Google.ca. I have NOT installed it yet, as 5.1 really messed things up! Anybody now running the update have any comments /views on the update? Did it solve lagging issues I found with the 5.1? Any issues so far? I'd appreciate any insight.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Received the notification yesterday here in Hamilton, Ontario Canada... International version I gather, 64gig direct from Google.ca. I have NOT installed it yet, as 5.1 really messed things up! Anybody now running the update have any comments /views on the update? Did it solve lagging issues I found with the 5.1? Any issues so far? I'd appreciate any insight.

Have been running 5.1.1 for 3 days. Smooth like butter. No issues for me.

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I got the update notification on my Google Play Nexus 6. Clicked download it was a little over 100mb. When it finished I tapped restart. It did the count down and the closed the update app and didn't reboot. Phone is still on 5.1 and says its up to date. Rebooted. Nada.... Very strange bug.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I got the update notification on my Google Play Nexus 6. Clicked download it was a little over 100mb. When it finished I tapped restart. It did the count down and the closed the update app and didn't reboot. Phone is still on 5.1 and says its up to date. Rebooted. Nada.... Very strange bug.

That is strange. The size of a little over 100MB is what I got too. All good on this side though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital