Can't decide, need input from N6 owners please.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I am up in the air about buying an N6 or LG G4. Have had every nexus phone but the N4, didn't like the glass back. Sold my N5 about 6 months ago and have been using an AT&T Motorola Moto X since. But still like the Nexus platform. Keep reading horror stories of these phones bending, poor signal strength, mediocre screens, and backs separating from the phone. Are these real widespread problems or rare occurrences? Thanks for any input.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Been running a N6 since January and have seen none of these problems. One of my favourites with the phone is the better signal/reception over previous phones, regularly see 4G now where signal was previously bad and still is with other phones.
Hoping the separating backs was on early units only. I think the screen is perfectly acceptable but when compared with the note 4 won't look as good, as that screen is best in class. Not actually heard of any bending problems.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
All the things you have mentioned have been blown all out of proportion.
A few minor occurrences that happen when anything is mass produced.
No problems with mine.

You cannot go wrong with either device, but the Nexus line will always get updates first.
From what I have seen and heard about "M", it looks really cool.

Mav. :cool:

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
None of those issues affected me but honestly I would probably get the LG if rooting and running alternate ROMs is not important to you. With the Nexus, even with alternate camera apps, I believe this camera is just too slow especially if you compare to LG.

Sent from my Nexus 6

n3wDaddy77

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my N6 for approx 2 months now. I've not had any of those issues and I love my phone!

I also have noticed better signal strength (compared to my N4).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I'm going to give an N6 a try, just have to find one at a good price and has a return policy

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my Nexus 6 in January. Things went fairly well for the first couple months and then started getting issues with the ! showing up. Started to happen a few times a week then progressed to sever times a day. That and when I'm out and about (DMV, grocery shopping, paying bills, etc.) my phone would say LTE but couldn't load pages off the net. Speed tests resulted in getting super slow speeds.

I had the N6 replaced via RMA. My next N6 had the same issues. Couldn't read the SIM card, no data, yaddayadda. Was sent out a THIRD N6.

A few days ago my N6 got that dreaded ! again while at work. My wife had been trying to reach me for nearly an hour. She's 8 months pregnant and fell. I didn't know she fell until a coworker found me at work to notify me I had an emergency call. I basically blame this phone, or the Nexus 6 anyways, for the delay in her getting ahold of me. She's alright, but Jesus, if she went into labor, I don't know what I would have done. I almost always have excellent coverage at work, but this phone struggles where every phone previous never had. Been with T-Mobile for 9 years. Been working at the same area for 5 years. I've had a Galaxy S4, Nexus 4 (absolutely LOVED LOVED this phone, still use it too) Nexus 5 (also loved this phone as well) and have never, not once had problems as bad as I have been having.

With that said. I will miss the gorgeous screen. I loved the front facing speakers. I'll miss the pure android experience.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I purchased my Nexus 6 in January. Things went fairly well for the first couple months and then started getting issues with the ! showing up. Started to happen a few times a week then progressed to sever times a day. That and when I'm out and about (DMV, grocery shopping, paying bills, etc.) my phone would say LTE but couldn't load pages off the net. Speed tests resulted in getting super slow speeds.

I had the N6 replaced via RMA. My next N6 had the same issues. Couldn't read the SIM card, no data, yaddayadda. Was sent out a THIRD N6.

A few days ago my N6 got that dreaded ! again while at work. My wife had been trying to reach me for nearly an hour. She's 8 months pregnant and fell. I didn't know she fell until a coworker found me at work to notify me I had an emergency call. I basically blame this phone, or the Nexus 6 anyways, for the delay in her getting ahold of me. She's alright, but Jesus, if she went into labor, I don't know what I would have done. I almost always have excellent coverage at work, but this phone struggles where every phone previous never had. Been with T-Mobile for 9 years. Been working at the same area for 5 years. I've had a Galaxy S4, Nexus 4 (absolutely LOVED LOVED this phone, still use it too) Nexus 5 (also loved this phone as well) and have never, not once had problems as bad as I have been having.

With that said. I will miss the gorgeous screen. I loved the front facing speakers. I'll miss the pure android experience.

OK this is what I am concerned with the most. My freaking Moto X unlocked Pure Edition gets the dreaded! In my signal strength indicator also, so most likely this is a Motorola problem. Maybe Lenovo isn't really doing the QC on the level they need to.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
OK this is what I am concerned with the most. My freaking Moto X unlocked Pure Edition gets the dreaded! In my signal strength indicator also, so most likely this is a Motorola problem. Maybe Lenovo isn't really doing the QC on the level they need to.

There are hundreds more people with the N6 that have no issues. But for the ones that do have them, its crippling.

vepac

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't worry that much unless you're really into the 64-bit platform idea.

Posted via the Android Central App on my VZW Nexus 6

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Screen is not the best quality, and battery on N6 is not as good as my N5.....but close. Probably can tweak the kernel and squeeze some more juice

Osiapstndp

May 29, 2012
Visit site
The battery life on my Nexus 6 is very, very poor, but other than that it meets all reasonable expectations. If you're interested in tinkering with your phone's software, like the operating system and permissions the Nexus 6 is a wonderful choice. If you're interested in leaving the phone as-is, like a muscle car without mods, either device will serve you well.

It is important to try both in a store and make an informed decision based on your own experience. Whatever you choose you'll be happy. :)

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 6 is the best phone out right now. Unless you want the best cell phone camera on the market then go with the g4. Unfortunately u trade a lot to get that camera.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
The battery life on my Nexus 6 is very, very poor, but other than that it meets all reasonable expectations. If you're interested in tinkering with your phone's software, like the operating system and permissions the Nexus 6 is a wonderful choice. If you're interested in leaving the phone as-is, like a muscle car without mods, either device will serve you well.

It is important to try both in a store and make an informed decision based on your own experience. Whatever you choose you'll be happy. :)

You said Nexus 6 battery was very very poor. I find the Nexus 6 battery to be one of the best I have ever had in a non maxx phone. If the nexus 6 is bad what phone did you that was good?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I am up in the air about buying an N6 or LG G4. Have had every nexus phone but the N4, didn't like the glass back. Sold my N5 about 6 months ago and have been using an AT&T Motorola Moto X since. But still like the Nexus platform. Keep reading horror stories of these phones bending, poor signal strength, mediocre screens, and backs separating from the phone. Are these real widespread problems or rare occurrences? Thanks for any input.

If I had the N6 I wouldn't trade it for a G4, but if I had neither, I'd probably go G4 if you get what I'm saying. I just can't get a phone 8 months after launch when the next one is only a few months away.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
You said Nexus 6 battery was very very poor. I find the Nexus 6 battery to be one of the best I have ever had in a non maxx phone. If the nexus 6 is bad what phone did you that was good?

This is simply bullsh1t. My previous 3 phones had better battery life (Nexus 5, Moto X 2013, and OnePlus One), in fact OPO has the same size battery, 5.5'' screen and it lasted about 60% longer then my Nexus 6

N6 screen on time is about 3.5-4.5 hours
N5 about 5 hours
Moto X about 6 hours
And OnePlus One about 7 hours

Nexus 6 is the only phone that drains all the way to 5-10% by the end of my day without much of heavy use

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I owned lg g3 and it was terrible doubt they improved it.... Overheating problems.. But... Wait till it comes out and see what happens then decide.. Next nexus should be out in October/November.... I have N6 and love it first nexus device.. Looking at buying a N5 unlocked this summer maybe for my daughter.... I won't get the 2015 but will definitely buy the 2016 unlocked of course......

As for issues with N6 u mentioned... Very isolated issues... I have Gsam app to monitor temperature no problems,back is in tack.......

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I would say G4. The Nexus is a bit too large for me and I have never completely adjusted to the size but have and have had 5.5

I have always been a fan of nexus because of the bloat in other phones. Using a s6 and ZenFone 2 and their UI's are smooth and offer more features and customizability.

Posted via my ZenFone 2!